Author Topic: CTD Continues  (Read 15974 times)

wombat457

CTD Continues
« on: March 06, 2013, 07:55:00 pm »
The title says it all, despite what Virtuali states, FSDT scenery does cause FS to CTD, at least in FS9 anyway.

I have just re installed JFK and LAX and both were installed properly, according to the installer.  Started FS and almost as soon as the Splash Screen appeared, FS crashed.  10 minutes prior to installing LAX and JFK, I installed another scenery and FS loaded up without an issue.

After reading the forum post concerning JFK, I deleted JFK and tried re starting FS with the same result - Splash Screen then crash.  Uninstalled LAX as well and experienced the same problem.  Cleaned out ALL of FSDT registry entries, started FS and guess what ... it started as it should.

I seriously doubt that some AI aircraft are the only thing causing problems at JFK.  They may be contributing to them, but are not the sole problem.  The problem does appear to be with registry entries FSDT installer creates.

Expensive software when it can't be used.

SYSTEM SPECS:

windows 7 Pro 64
intel i7 K3770
16 GB RAM
nVidia GT660Ti
ASUS Sabertooth MB
4 X OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD's
1 TB external HD
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:59:12 pm by wombat457 »

Hnla

Re: CTD Continues
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:43:37 pm »
1. Disable your Antivirus software

2. Restart your computer

3. Try again.

wombat457

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 12:05:15 am »
Boone,

Thanks for the advice but done that and no joy at all.  If you, or anyone else, have any other ideas, I am all ears!

It seems as though it is a problem (an inherent) problem with the FSDT Add on Manager.  FSDT is the ONLY third party software that I have issues with.  While the scenery is excellent, getting it installed (or re installed) is a ridiculousness process that could be averted by using "conventional" installation methods.

As said, it does appear to be their Add-on Manager that is causing all the heart ache, an issue that FSDT is well aware of and doesn't seem to want to do anything about.

PS:  It isn't AI Tfc either, I have none installed and have removed the default FS Tfc file.

CharlieP51

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:23:45 am »
Did you evaluate their worthiness on your system in trial mode prior to purchasing?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 01:16:34 am »
The title says it all, despite what Virtuali states, FSDT scenery does cause FS to CTD, at least in FS9 anyway.

It doesn't, despite what you say.

What is causing the crash, is not the scenery but, most likely your antivirus, that has mistakenly detected our module as a threat, so it has blocked the download.

If the download is blocked, it's likely the installation will be corrupted, because some files might have been updated, and some has been blocked by the antivirus.

This will result in a QUIT ( not crash ) to desktop, because of mis-matched files caused by the antivirus.

As explained in many other threads, it's NOT enough to just disable the antivirus when installing. You need to:

- DOWNLOAD and Install with the antivirus disabled.

- BEFORE launching FS9, configure the antivirus to exclude the following file from scanning:

YourFS9Folder\MODULES\bglman.dll

- Now you can launch FS9.

Be sure you are using the current version of the scenery. if not sure, download the installer again.

wombat457

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:46:10 am »

It doesn't, despite what you say.

What is causing the crash, is not the scenery but, most likely your antivirus, that has mistakenly detected our module as a threat, so it has blocked the download.

If the download is blocked, it's likely the installation will be corrupted, because some files might have been updated, and some has been blocked by the antivirus.

This will result in a QUIT ( not crash ) to desktop, because of mis-matched files caused by the antivirus.

As explained in many other threads, it's NOT enough to just disable the antivirus when installing. You need to:

- DOWNLOAD and Install with the antivirus disabled.

- BEFORE launching FS9, configure the antivirus to exclude the following file from scanning:

YourFS9Folder\MODULES\bglman.dll

- Now you can launch FS9.

Be sure you are using the current version of the scenery. if not sure, download the installer again.

I will try downloading the scenery's again, all 7 of them, and see what happens. 

The thing is that I downloaded the software a little while ago, without disabling my antivirus or configuring it not to scan the bglman file, and installed and ran without an issue.  At that time I was running nod32, which is a pretty aggressive anti-virus.  The setup exe files were kept on my backup drive.  All that has changed since that time is new SSD drives and my anti virus.

If it was a bad download, due to the anti virus, why would the scenery work when first installed but not now?

I am not trying to be difficult, but there does seem to be some issue with the installation/re-installation process.

Anyway, thanks and I will let you know how it went.

wombat457

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 07:16:59 am »
Okay, I have done exactly as you suggested, disabled my anti-virus then downloaded all of my purchased FSDT scenery and installed KLAX V 2.  Started FS and FINALLY, it started.  Don't get too excited because ...

I then went to the ADDON MANAGER and re installed it, restarted FS and "BANG" got to the Splash Screen and it crashed/quit again!!!  By the way, my antivirus was still disabled and even if it wasn't, my FS Modules folder is excluded from being scanned, as recommended.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:13:04 am »
Okay, I have done exactly as you suggested, disabled my anti-virus then downloaded all of my purchased FSDT scenery and installed KLAX V 2.  Started FS and FINALLY, it started.  Don't get too excited because ...

That clearly indicate the antivirus was the problem.

I then went to the ADDON MANAGER and re installed it, restarted FS and "BANG" got to the Splash Screen and it crashed/quit again!!!  By the way, my antivirus was still disabled and even if it wasn't, my FS Modules folder is excluded from being scanned, as recommended.

The only possible explanation, is that your antivirus is still doing something even when it's disabled. There's no difference whatsoever between the Addon Mananger installed by KLAX and the one in the Stand-Alone installer, they are bit-for-bit identical so, if the one from KLAX worked, the only possible explanation the one from the Addon Manager didn't, is that the antivirus is still interfering.

It's important you DISABLE the antivirus entirely when *downloading* AND *installing*, even if it's configured to exclude the whole FS9 folder, because the installer files are first uncompressed in the windows temporary folder, and there they might be blocked/corrupted.

The real solution would be switching to a more reliable antivirus, that doesn't mistakenly detect legit products as threats. For example, the free and always updated MS Security Essentials.

wombat457

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 05:49:46 pm »
Have done EVERYTHING you have recommended and more as follows:

1.   Removed/deleted my anti virus and downloaded the Microsoft one you recommended (did not enable it)
2.   Removed all anti virus entries from C Drive and Registry and App Data manually
3.   Downloaded new scenery files from FSDT site
4.   Installed newly downloaded files
5.   Started FS
6.   Used Re install from within Addon Manager in FS to activate scenery
7.   Checked 3 or 4 of the scenery's to see if they worked - all did except KORD
8.   Shut down FS
9.   Restarted FS and again it quit/crashed
10. Tried restarting it as "Run as Admin" with same result, quit/crashed

So, the problem still exists.  The scenery installs, is there and most work prior to activating it.  As soon as I activate it, FS crashes/quits.

As of this post, I have NO Anti Virus running, NO AI (whatsoever installed) and NO usable FS.  I remove the FSDT scenery and bingo, FS runs as it should.

As such, the downloads could not have been corrupted during the download (unless they were corrupt to begin with), they could not have been corrupted during installation because most of them worked PRIOR to activating them.  So I think it is fair to say, logically, that the problem (now) is not with corrupt files as a result of an Anti Virus. 

What's next - completely re format my system for the sake of FSDT scenery?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 09:59:43 am »
So I think it is fair to say, logically, that the problem (now) is not with corrupt files as a result of an Anti Virus. 

I never said that would be the cause. There are TWO possible causes, in order of being the most likely:

1) The antivirus has not "corrupted" the file, but it has BLOCKED the download of SOME files of the Addon Manager. When some files are updated and some aren't, the result is a mixed up version, which won't run, and it will quit from FS9 as soon as it starts.

OR

2) The antivirus has really corrupted the file, so it won't start too.

These are the two most likely causes. But, in fact, there's a rare but still possible 3rd chance: have you ever installed something like Wideview ? That product uses Esellerate too, but it uses an old version, which shouldn't be used anymore, and this will cause FS9 quitting to desktop too.

Check ALL  following folders for this file:

C:\Windows\Esellerateengine.dll
C:\ProgramFiles\Esellerateengine.dll
YOURFS9FOLDER\Esellerateengine.dll

If you find that file in any of those 3 folders (especially in the FS9 root and the C:\Windows folder), REMOVE IT and REINSTALL the scenery again, so it will surely reinstate the correct version.

If this doesn't fix it, then sorry, you are back at case #1 and #2, there are no other possible causes for a QUIT at start.

wombat457

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »
Umberto,

Okay, then it looks as though I am back to square one.  Last night I "Reformatted" all of my drives then "Wiped" them clean (DoD pass) of any remaining file fragments.

Reinstalled Windows and FS - nothing else then tested FS and it ran perfectly.

Installed FS Genesis meshes, Fly Tampa scenery, UK2000 Scenery and Aerosoft scenery all without an issue and tested FS after each install.  Nothing else was installed whatsoever.

Then re downloaded FSDT KLAX and installed it.  Started FS and it crashed/quit.
Re started FS as Admin and it started.
Checked that LAX was there and properly installed, and it was.
Using the Addon Manager within FS, I reinstalled (again) the product manually as the "Esellerate site" failed.
Received the message that LAX had been "Activated" and it showed being Active in the Addon Manager.
However, the "Your Trial Message" remained.
Exited FS and tried to restart it, again without success and with it crashing/quitting.
Removed FSDT in it's entirety, along with all Esellerate stuff and Addon Manager.
Started FS and it started and ran flawlessly

It should be obvious by now that the problem is with the Addon Manager and or Esellerate.  There are no other alternatives, not now after all I have done.

No matter what I do, as soon as I install FSDT scenery, FS crashes/quits and FSDT scenery, or those things associated with it addon manager, is the only scenery that causes issues with FS not starting.  I even tried starting FS in both Full Screen and Windows Mode without any success.

At the moment, and considering I have done everything that you have said to do, and if (as said in your last post) there are no other options then the only thing that is left to do is to refund me my money as the scenery is not usable on my system, regardless of what the Trial says.

That refund applies to all FSDT Scenery I have, and which can be verified:

KLAX
KJFK
KORD
HAWAII AIRPORTS 1
KDFW
KFLL
KLAS
HONOLULU

You do the math and work out how much I have spent on this scenery, money that has been wasted.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 02:11:50 pm »
It should be obvious by now that the problem is with the Addon Manager and or Esellerate.  There are no other alternatives, not now after all I have done.

What you wrote prove exactly the opposite:

Then re downloaded FSDT KLAX and installed it.  Started FS and it crashed/quit.
Re started FS as Admin and it started.

This seems to indicate the cause was neither the Addon Manager or Esellerate, but it was a PERMISSION problem: it shouldn't be normally necessary to have to run FS9 as Administrator but, fact that you had to do and IT WORKED, it means there's something wrong without permissions.

Using the Addon Manager within FS, I reinstalled (again) the product manually as the "Esellerate site" failed.

So, you HAVE been able to use the Addon Manager, which clearly proves the Addon Manager WORKS on your system. There's no such message as "Esellerate site failed". Please indicate the exact text of the message, because this might be an *entirely* different issue, possibly caused by an external product such as a firewall which prevented the Esellerate activation server to be contacted. In fact, you said yourself the manuall offline activation WORKED.

Exited FS and tried to restart it, again without success and with it crashing/quitting.

No matter what I do, as soon as I install FSDT scenery, FS crashes/quits and FSDT scenery, or those things associated with it addon manager, is the only scenery that causes issues with FS not starting.  I even tried starting FS in both Full Screen and Windows Mode without any success.

No, this is not what happened, according to your description.

What happens, according to your description, is NOT that "as soon as I install FSDT scenery, FS crashes/quits" but, instead, it seems that there's no crash if you run FS9 as Administator, there is a problem reaching the activation server, you ARE able to manually activate, but if you exit from FS9, enter it again, it will quit on that 2nd restart. This is what you wrote: have I understood it correctly ?

At the moment, and considering I have done everything that you have said to do, and if (as said in your last post) there are no other options then the only thing that is left to do is to refund me my money as the scenery is not usable on my system, regardless of what the Trial says.

Because of the availability of a Trial version, we don't have any refund policy.

But that's not the point. The point is, you bought those sceneries YEARS ago, some in 2010, some in 2011, you just can't aks for a refund now, when you obviously used it successfully for years, it's fairly obvious they work, you reinstalled them several times, you reactivated them several times along the years so, obviously, what is preventing them to work NOW should be something else that has changed in your system configuration.

I've checked some of your orders, and several of them had reached their maximum available activations, so I've added activations to all of them.

If it's ok for you, we can arrange a Teamviewer session, so I could have a look at your system. Download the free client here:

http://www.teamviewer.com/

Then contact me with a PM during working hours (CET time) when you are ready to start a session with the ID and password.

The real question is: with such a very good system, WHY you use FS9 ?? That doesn't have anything to do with your problems, we WILL have the sceneries working but, are you aware that your system is ENTIRELY WASTED with FS9 ?