Author Topic: Problems with User Acccounts in Windows7  (Read 4213 times)

nigelgrant

Problems with User Acccounts in Windows7
« on: January 26, 2013, 07:05:06 pm »
I have what I suspect might be a rather unique problem and I need help in resolving it.

At our local seniors centre I run a Flightsim club that meets every couple of weeks.  I am trying to install CYVR onto our computer, specs below.

The computer has four accounts, each password protected - an Administrator account plus three standard accounts, one for Teaching, one for a Computer Club and one for our FlightSim Club, all our FSX data and program being installed on the latter account on its own hard drive.

When I downloaded CYVR and tried to install it into the “flightsimulator” account, the addon manager and couatl.exe would not install (Windows Security Essentials and Firewall turned off).  The airport shows up but no buildings show, nor do the addon manager and couatl show in the addons menu. Neither of these two files were called-for to enter the “trusted” section of the fsx.cfg file, during FSX start-up.

After many unsuccessful attampts, I decided to try installing CYVR through the “administrator”  account and - eureka! It installed, and all the buildings show up and the addon manager and couatl programs show in the FSX addon menu, but only when I start FSX through the “administrator account”. But none show up when I start FSX in the “flightsimulator” account, as before.

To cut a long story short, I copied the FSX folder containing the fsx.cfg file from “users\user\applications\roaming\microsoft\” to “users\flightsimulator\applications\roaming\microsoft\” , removing this latter’s FSX folder and backing it up.  Now I can start FSX in the flightsimulator account and everything shows up at CYVR.  Next I am going to have to update the new fsx.cfg file to incorporate all my previous paramaters.

I now have two basic questions.

What happens with future updates of CYVR, addon manager and couatl – do I install them in the “administrator” account, or the “flightsimulator” account?

Or secondly a better solution would be if I could install CYVR and all its features directly into FSX in the “flightsimulator” account – any way to do this?

Nigel
Vancouver

My System

INTEL I7 920 quad core o/c 4.1MHz
GigaByte EX58-UD3R mobo
HIS ATI Radeon HD5850 1Gb
6Gb RAM Patriot Viper II 1600mhZ DDR3
1X WD Black 500GB HDD SATA
2X WD Black 500GB HDD SATA RAID1
LG DVD±RW drive
LG LightScribe DVD±RW drive w/NERO
3 ½” floppy
Cooler Master Real Power 700w ps
Cooler Master V8 cooler
Cooler Master Centurion5 case

LG 24” LCD monitor

CHProducts Yoke
CHProducts Pro-Pedals

Windows7 64bit Home Premium

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problems with User Acccounts in Windows7
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:11:00 am »
I'm sorry, but it's very difficult to reply without knowing *exactly* how such accounts are configured.

None of our products requires specific administrator permissions when *running*, because the installer runs by asking the administrator password in order to be able to install a couple of files that requires administrator rights, but once they are there, they work with any account, provided you ran the installation in EACH of those accounts, because in order to launch a module, the DLL.XML and EXE.XML files must contain a reference to it, and those files are local for each account.

From your description, it seems that you installed in the administator account and tried to run in the flightsim account. This won't work, because the DLL.XML and EXE.XML files in the flightsim account weren't updated to call our modules, that's why you fixed it by copy the whole %APPDATA%Microsoft\FSX folder (the one that contains the FSX.CFG). What fixed was probably the two XML files there, not the FSX.CFG.

nigelgrant

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:40:09 am »
Umberto

Thx for your response.

I am now presuming that if I run updates for couatl.exe or addon manager (ie bglmanx.dll), that the updates will just overwrite these two files in my FSX root directory; similarly if I update CYVR, the update will just put files into the FSDT CYVR filing structure, overwriting where required. 

Since both couatl.exe and bglmanx.dll are now entered into the FSX system through the two XML files noted above (in both accounts), these entries will not be affected by updates, and updating should be straightforward.  Could you please confirm this is the case?

Regards
Nigel
Vancouver

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 01:11:55 pm »
Since both couatl.exe and bglmanx.dll are now entered into the FSX system through the two XML files noted above (in both accounts), these entries will not be affected by updates, and updating should be straightforward.  Could you please confirm this is the case?

Yes, it should work like that.

nigelgrant

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 05:44:25 am »
Umberto

All working AOK now, thx for your help

Nigel