Author Topic: These dynamic shadows are killing me...  (Read 4049 times)

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
These dynamic shadows are killing me...
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:26:04 pm »
They look sweet and all, but they are serious performance hogs.  Any way to shut them off?
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: These dynamic shadows are killing me...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:56:51 pm »
The don't affect performance at all, because they are pre-rendered shadows, and you only see one version of the scenery, same as before, except they now switch at specific times of the days. Of course, the calculation that do the switching, can't affect FSX in any way, since they are done in the background by the Couatl.exe process, that being an .exe process, runs in a separate thread and can't slow down FSX while calculating.

You performances loss is surely caused by other addons in the area, and/or too high settings. Some addons might be very critical, for example the ENB Series is able to *halve* the fps here, but there might be other similar cases.

On a correctly configured system, with a good graphic card, you should expect the same level of fps as KLAX, possibly more, because there aren't as many AI here.

Andrew737

Re: These dynamic shadows are killing me...
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:22:09 am »
They look sweet and all, but they are serious performance hogs.  Any way to shut them off?

Sorry to bring this up from so long back - sincerely I am; but curiosity and all that

How are you doing with them now?

I have never had an FPS problem with CYVR just OOM and that's sorted now (all 2048)
Regards Andrew