Author Topic: OOM Westbound  (Read 16118 times)

cjordan

Re: OOM Westbound
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 02:09:22 pm »
It was a fresh install but I'll check out the DLL thing.

Michael Moe

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 09:03:20 am »
i am the same club with the OOM´s BUT i must admit that switching to DX10 saved me 1GB of VAS!!!! Thats alot. DX10 might be a way afterall for FSX in the future

Michael Moe

dbw

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 05:39:34 am »
I have the same problem. Just bought CYVR and now have OOM problems. My system is pretty good - I7-960(@3.33), 12 gigs fast ram, Nvidia 580gtx, fsx on a 512 gig ssd, o/s on a 120 gig ssd. Never had a single OOM problem before CYVR. Usually when inbound CYVR the buildings and ground textures are gone sometimes followed by the OOM. Not sure what to do as how things are now CYVR is not, for me, usable.
Dave

dbw

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 05:45:11 am »
Also, My O/S is Win7-64. On departure CYVR usually dissapears withing a minute.
Dave

Hnla

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 07:05:51 am »
12 gigs fast ram

Doesn't matter if you have 300GB, FSX is a 32 GB program, which only utilizes 4 GB of Ram total.

Never had a single OOM problem before CYVR

That's because CYVR is an area which is subject to many add ons, and custom scenery objects. (Such as ORBX).

Since Virtuali has said this countless of times, it's not "CYVR" that is the problem. An OOM occurs from the COMBINATION of addons you are using. The solution is simple. You will have to:

- Choose to use a lighter aircraft, or remove ORBX scenery (if you have it installed)

-Switch to lower texture resolution (which was provided in the update)

- Turn down your settings (which you should do anyway)

- Switch to DX10. (Fully compatible)

dbw

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 02:29:26 pm »
Actually, giving it some more thought....

I've had no problem with OOM issues with any other piece of scenery, ever, on this rig. Problems started after the installation of CYVR (for example - no problems what-so-ever with Fly Tampa Montreal and that's one bear of a scenery for detail too) so the problem is CYVR. I''ve been running test flights from Abbottsford (CYXX) departing RWY25 to CYVR  RNAV approach to 26R at night, using FSX fair weather only. I've used two aircraft in tese flights - the PMDG NGX which admittedly is a complex aircraft but I have also used the Eaaglesoft Citation 2 which is very easy on FPS and surprisingly the FPS did not vary significantly. Turning things down some the last couple of flights there were no OOM (there was stuttering approaching CYVR) but there was no fsdt CYVR to be found either - no ground textures, no green lead in lighting of the runway to the taxiways, no buildings, nothing. In Vancouver i run it with Orbix PNW. What exactly is the problem here , I have no idea. I've got more than enough horsepower to run everything else. When in demo before purchase the 3-5 minutes the scenery ran it was spectacular. I hope the situation can be resolved because CYVR is that good.

In the real world I'm not a computer programmer, computer wizard, whatever, but I know when the problem began.....

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 05:12:07 pm »
I've had no problem with OOM issues with any other piece of scenery, ever, on this rig. Problems started after the installation of CYVR (for example - no problems what-so-ever with Fly Tampa Montreal and that's one bear of a scenery for detail too) so the problem is CYVR.

No, it's not, and if you followed all the discussion about OOMs, it was clear that CYVR is not the problem, other than that is a fairly large scenery which lies in an ALREADY problematic area, which is taking quite a bit of memory even with default scenery only, but with many 3rd party add-ons available to add.

Is there a similar product such as "Orbx Montreal" or "Montreal city+" ? That's a difference between the two areas. Unless there was *another* comparably detailed scenery for CYVR Airport, there are no grounds for any correct comparison with anything else.

In Vancouver i run it with Orbix PNW

That's what I've thought.  So, why, "the problem must be CYVR" ?

Yes, the airport is taking quite a bit of memory, but as explained countless of times here, it's the sum of everything *and* your settings that cause OOMs, it's never a single product. But again, people always put the blame on the last installed product "because the problem didn't happened before".

As explained several times already, suppose you bought CYVR first, and use it only with default airplanes. Of course, you wouldn't see any OOMs. Then buy the PMDG, which is taking more than 800MB for itself, boom...instant OOM. Who's fault is then ?

The correct answer is, none. Or, if you prefer this, the sad fact the FSX is not developed anymore, and we can't expect a 64 bit version anytime.

What exactly is the problem here , I have no idea. I've got more than enough horsepower to run everything else.

You can have all the horsepower in the world, it won't change that fact that FSX, being a 32 bit application, has an absolute limit of 4GB of available memory, regardless how much ram you have in your system.

This means, you just can't expect to keep filling FSX with add-ons, at a certain point your memory is going to end, and there's no other solution than to lower your setting, or use less add-ons in a certain area, or a combination of that.

When in demo before purchase the 3-5 minutes the scenery ran it was spectacular

Of course it does. And of course there's not the slightest difference between the purchased version and the demo version.

I hope the situation can be resolved because CYVR is that good.

The situation has already been resolved with the 1.1 installer, which gives you the option to decide the texture resolution for ground textures and dynamic shadows, which greatly reduces memory requirements.

With ground textures at 2048 and shadows textures at 1024, CYVR still looks good, and will take LESS memory than KLAX. And nobody talks about OOMs at KLAX, because the default scenery there is entirely different than CYVR (the different landclass trigger a way sparse autogen), there's no "Orbx South California" to buy, no popular addons for the city, no pesky Seattle nearby, etc.

dbw

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 09:35:10 pm »
Umberto,

First off, begore we start throwing rocks at each other, let me clearly state I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and your creations. They are very, very good. Having said that I am being totally honest relating my experiences with CYVR.....I've turned down things, researched "fixes' for the OOM issue and applied them and done numerous test flights to try different settings. I seem to have overcome the OOM issues but occaisionally there are no buildings etc present. On startup one thing I have found that works with my machine is to start up in CYVR with the msfs powered hang glider/ultralight/whatever and then change to the aircraft I wish to fly. Seems to work just fine that way including doing multiple circuits with complex aircraft such as the NGX and Level D 767 for 20 or more minutes with no problems. On startup with the hang glider it may take a few moments for the scenery to get "drawn" but just about all the time there's no problem. I should also mention I've had missing buildings etc at PHNL and the only addon being used there is the Megascenery for the island. Have to see how these "fixes" and adjustments work out there. These latest test have been in daylight. I don't know if night time puts more of a load on fsx and memory.

Relax, no need to get defensive. I want this to work. I simply want to crank it up and enjoy it. If I can get this sorted out okay, and I'm on my way to doing that (I think), I'll be dusting off my credit card to purchase your California and Nevada airports. I use megascenery there.

Dave

Hnla

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 12:03:04 am »
.I've turned down things

What do you mean by "things"

researched "fixes' for the OOM issue

There is no magic "Fix" for an OOM, no code you can add to your FSX.cfg than can solve an OOM. OOM's are a result of too many recourses being Used in your FSX, and you WILL HAVE to give up something. You can't run everything under the sun, and expect no OOM's.

I simply want to crank it up and enjoy it

You will never be able to 'crank it up' in an place like CYVR (Seattle, JFK), because as said again, CYVR is subject to many custom addons like ORBX.

dbw

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 12:37:19 am »
Boone, thanks for the lecture. Most appreciated.

With all due respect in the few days I've been here I've pursued the forums in some depth for information and one consistent thing emerges...... The same problems - OOM, Crashes are occurring to more than a few people on more than one  fsdt scenery and have been for some time. I was under the impression that CYVR is compatible with ftx/orbix sceneries however they are being mentioned for difficulties with this product by fsdt Reps on this forum. I'm not BS you - go through the forum. As to "never being able to crank it up" fsdreamteam scenery is the first I've had OOM problems with  - and this is an honest statement. I've got approx 200 gigs in fsx running on a 512 gig SSD exclusively for fsx and prior to this everything ran well.

I simply desire to find an acceptable solution for my installation.......then I will buy more of fsdreamteam's products.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 01:12:31 am »
I simply desire to find an acceptable solution for my installation.......then I will buy more of fsdreamteam's products.

I can only repeat and confirm the solution:

With ground textures at 2048 and shadows textures at 1024, CYVR still looks good, and will take LESS memory than KLAX. And nobody talks about OOMs at KLAX, because the default scenery there is entirely different than CYVR (the different landclass trigger a way sparse autogen), there's no "Orbx South California" to buy, no popular addons for the city, no pesky Seattle nearby, etc.

If that's is not enough, then you will have to start working on the other add-ons, and use their configuration options to lower their requirements. For example, the PMDG offers a lower resolution VC textures, other add-ons might have similar options too. And of course, your FSX settings.

There are no compatibility problems with anything from Orbx (other than possible double objects if not removing some double AFCADs), just than simply an higher than average memory occupation when using them together AND with other products too.

As to "never being able to crank it up" fsdreamteam scenery is the first I've had OOM problems with

That's the only scenery for this area we have.

I've got approx 200 gigs in fsx running on a 512 gig SSD exclusively for fsx and prior to this everything ran well.

It seems you still don't understand: you can have all "free" resources you can, with the most powerful system money can buy, if your COMBINATION of used add-ons in a certain area requires more than 4GB at any given time, you WILL have an OOM, plain and simple.

In fact, it's really less than 4GB, because the OOM message from FSX comes *before* 4GB are really taken entirely. 4GB is the absolute limit for any 32 bit app, but the FSX limit is lesser than that, more likely 3.6-3.7 GB.

And, there's the DX9 issue. Under DX9, a copy of used VRAM is taken from the system RAM and stolen from those 4GB, that's why reducing texture resolution is so effective, because it reduces *both* VRAM and RAM allocation at the same time.

An alternative solution, is to run DX10, because you might be able to afford higher texture resolution.

And, there's another issue which is not very well known, which is .NET runtimes: if one of your .DLL add-ons requires the .NET framework, ALL its runtime will be mapped in the application space, taking away from those 4GB too. None of our products requires/use .NET, but even a tiny module you are running in-process with FSX ( meaning, it's a .DLL ) that use it, and the whole .NET runtime will stole precious VAS space for its garbage collector.

dbw

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 03:29:20 am »
Thanks very much for taking the time once again to explain.
Dave