Author Topic: Frame Rates  (Read 8430 times)

jf5999

Frame Rates
« on: July 25, 2008, 03:40:03 am »
Are there any easy ways to increase FPS without decreasing realism in O'Hare (ex. without lowering AI traffic, detail)?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Frame Rates
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 10:45:38 am »
The scenery doesn't have a very big impact on fps per se.

If you are seeing low fps on FS9, surely you must have it loaded with other things. The number one culprit is usually AI traffic, if you are using an addon product with a busy schedule, the number of AI planes in the area (don't forget, there are also other airports around, like KMDW) might easily exceed 250-300, at 100%. If you are not using fps friendly models, like WOAI, etc, it's just too much to handle and even if you are using it, the fps impact is noticeable.

Check how the fps changes with each AI density (start from 0 then go up to 100 in steps, and see what's happening).

Also, you can try lowering the scenery complexity a bit.

With a video card with less than 512MB, you might also try lowering the maximum Global texture size one notch, it will decrease a lot the vram requirements. Note that, since the FS9 version of scenery is using the same texture size of the FSX version, with reagards to vram requirements, the two sceneries are basically the same, so you wouldn't be able to use it an older video card "just" because you are in FS9...

There's no free lunch, the scenery is already heavily optimized, just compare it (if you have it ) the fps with the old Simflyers scenery and see the difference.

jf5999

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 05:18:27 pm »
I'm using WOAI mostly, with some traffic I manually made and a little bit of PAI. All of it is supposed to be FPS friendly. Does the FPS hit add up with a lot of traffic because I have pretty much every airline that flies to O'Hare (even United Express). I get about 1 FPS which I cannot fly in. I don't have any other addons installed in the Chicago area and I believe I have a 512 mb video card (not sure how to check, I'm not good with computers). I'm running Wndows XP with an Intel Pentium 4 processor and an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. I'm also running AI Smooth if that makes a difference.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 06:08:36 pm »
1 fps in FS9 is unheard of, this clearly indicates you have serious issues with your machine, like faulty video drivers or the like.

As I've said, if you don't do tests like trying different complexity (AI and/or scenery) settings, exactly as I've explained before, you'll never know what is driving your fps down.  However, such number is simply too low to be setting-dependent, and it leads to believe you have other problems with your system.

jf5999

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:46:19 pm »
Would getting a new NVIDIA driver for my current graphics card or getting a new graphics card help and if so, would all the addons I installed in FS9 still be there and work fine (ex. ai traffic, sceneries, etc.).

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:34:33 pm »
Video drivers should always be kept updated. Installing a new video driver shouldn't affect your addons.

jf5999

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 08:36:11 pm »
Ok, that might be the problem. I'll go update my video driver and I'll see how the FPS is after that.

jf5999

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 08:08:57 pm »
The frame rates are still the same.  :( Any idea on what I could do now?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:01:34 pm »
Maybe the FX5500 simply can't cut it anymore with the combination of addons you are using. Have you tried lowering the maximum texture size ?

jf5999

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 09:06:46 pm »
Yes, I tried cutting down everything and there was very little change in FPS, which was surprising. In the NVIDIA control panel, it says I have 0 mb of system video memory. Is that what might be the problem, and if so, how would I correct that?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 10:43:52 am »
it says I have 0 mb of system video memory. Is that what might be the problem, and if so, how would I correct that?

This is not a problem: it means the card doesn't use any system memory, which is good, because otherwise if would have been like those crappy cards without much vram on their own that take system memory to emulate vram. The important figure is the "dedicated video memory".

Another thing worth trying is to update your mainboard *chipset* drivers. These are usually made by Intel, nVidia or VIA, and can be updated on their websites as well. The chipset drivers take care of the correct behaviour of several things, including AGP or PCI communication with addon cards.