Author Topic: Uninstall before installing 1.1?  (Read 4120 times)

Real

Uninstall before installing 1.1?
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:43:00 am »
Hello,

Do i have to uninstall version 1.0 before installing 1.1 and if yes how uninstall it? I haven't found any "uninstall" button. Thank you very much and best regards

Real Deraps
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:45:31 am by Real »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Uninstall before installing 1.1?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 04:28:31 am »
Do i have to uninstall version 1.0 before installing 1.1 and if yes how uninstall it? I haven't found any "uninstall" button. Thank you very much and best regards

If there was any need to uninstall, we would clearly advised to do so or, even better, made the 1.1 installer perform the uninstall in case it found the previous version.

About knowing how to uninstall our products, in case you'll ever need it (this is not the case), as with any other Windows program in existence, they can be uninstalled from the Windows Control Panel, in the Add/Remove Programs section, which is used to Uninstall any program you ever installed.

Real

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:06:34 pm »
Mr Umberto,

I have many many addons and a lot of them need to be uninstalled by their own uninstaller program. (it's often said "Do not use the Windows Add/Remove program).
That's why i asked. Even though you seem to find my question stupid, i think it's better asking before going to a mess.

Real Deraps

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 05:42:59 pm »
I have many many addons and a lot of them need to be uninstalled by their own uninstaller program. (it's often said "Do not use the Windows Add/Remove program).

I don't know who said that, but he probably doesn't have any clue how the Windows Add/Remove Programs section is supposed to work.

There's nothing magic about it, it's just an entry with the name of your program, and it knows the uninstaller program to launch, which IS the one provided with the product, provided the product installer did the correct thing, and set that entry at install time, which is something made automatically if the product uses standard installation routines like Installshield, Inno setup, Clickteam, etc.

The whole point of having the "Add/Remove Programs" section, is that you can have a place were all your Unistallers are, so you don't have to figure it out which one is which or where they are, but what is being launched is your product's Uninstaller, it's just that Windows launches it for you...