Author Topic: Pushback tug wheels missing, except when very close  (Read 8193 times)

jordanal

Pushback tug wheels missing, except when very close
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:41:07 pm »
Umberto,
As has been seen and discussed before in the KDFW subforum, the pushback tug wheels at CYVR also don't show up until the tug is very, very near the user aircraft, as viewed from within the VC.  The distance at which the wheels appear needs to be increased for both of these sceneries, please.  I don't see this issue at any other FSDT scenery except KDFW and now CYVR, so I'm hoping this can be addessed for both airports.  I'm still quite surprised this 'Wheel LOD' issue doen't appear at KLAX, considering its weight on memory and FPS.  Can't the wheels LOD at KDFW and CYVR be adjusted like KLAX?

Thanks.
Regards,
Al

Fall_Guy

Re: Pushback tug wheels missing, except when very close
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:28:27 pm »
Same observation here........................  I mean they have to be VERY close before they display.

regards

Bob Savo

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 02:17:29 am »
I also have the DFW and tried the CYVR and I would like to try and find a solution to the missing wheels.
The wheels eventually appear but it looks so silly for these pushbacks to drive all over with no wheels. I have two computers with the same issue. My new computer gets a average 30 to 50 fps. So I have the luxury of tweaking settings. I have tried 10 setting adjustments to get these wheels to show up sooner. So I'm missing something. I would love to add this scenery to my collection. Is there a way of removing the pushbacks or putting different wheels on these vehicles. By the way an other beautiful scenery.  Bob Savo

Archiehh

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:26:52 pm »
Same issue here! But I've seen it before on Hawaiian Airports too.

jordanal

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 04:57:26 pm »
Umberto,
I think you've explained before that the pushback tug wheel LOD logic is actually handled in the Python scripts?  Therefore, is it correct to assume the same LOD logic/code is used on all the same tugs at all the FSDT airports where used?

I can appreciate the effort to save FPS/performace by not having the wheels show up until they're very close.  I'm wondering as a possible improvment, if an alternate solution might be to have the wheels always appear with the tugs regardless of the LOD distance, but as the LOD distance increases from the viewpont, have the Python scripts just disable the wheels rotating and turning left or right?

It's really the lack of the wheels themselves that make them look weird, almost like Santa's sleigh or something, LOL... ;D
Regards,
Al

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 05:05:05 pm »
I think you've explained before that the pushback tug wheel LOD logic is actually handled in the Python scripts?  Therefore, is it correct to assume the same LOD logic/code is used on all the same tugs at all the FSDT airports where used?

Never said that. LOD for vehicles is never implemented by the Python scripts, not even in GSX vehicles, but it's plain standard FSX LOD and these are not even vehicles handled by Couatl/Python, they are ground Simobjects running over a path, and are handled by the Addon Manager, which jus creates the object and assign it to a patch, it doesn't do anything related to LOD handling.

To adjust LOD levels, would require recompiling the .MDL itself, we might do it in an update. If you can't wait, you might probably do it yourself with the ModelConvertX program, which has a LOD adjust feature.

Check also your SmallPartsRejectRadius parameter. If it's set higher than the default of 1, it might cut pieces of objects like wheels, for example.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:07:47 pm by virtuali »

jordanal

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 05:11:19 pm »
I think you've explained before that the pushback tug wheel LOD logic is actually handled in the Python scripts?  Therefore, is it correct to assume the same LOD logic/code is used on all the same tugs at all the FSDT airports where used?

Never said that. LOD for vehicles is never implemented by the Python scripts, not even in GSX vehicles, but it's plain standard FSX LOD and these are not even vehicles handled by Couatl/Python, they are ground Simobjects running over a path, and are handled by the Addon Manager, which jus creates the object and assign it to a patch, it doesn't do anything related to LOD handling.

To adjust LOD levels, would require recompiling the .MDL itself, we might do it in an update. If you can't wait, you might probably do it yourself with the ModelConvertX program, which has a LOD adjust feature.

Huh, then I humbly stand corrected - I really thought it was Python controlled from a previous conversation - my appologies for insinuating otherwise.

I very much look forward to the official FSDT provided tweaked tug someday and apprecaite the ModelConverterX hint to play with in the interim.  Can you tell me what the tug name is, assuming it's under the SimbObjects subfolder somewhere?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:22:45 pm by jordanal »
Regards,
Al

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 05:21:51 pm »
Try first my added suggestion:

Check also your SmallPartsRejectRadius parameter. If it's set higher than the default of 1, it might cut pieces of objects like wheels, for example.

jordanal

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 05:27:20 pm »
Try first my added suggestion:

Thanks for the suggestion - but I don't have any FSDT specific parameters, including the SmallPartsRejectRadius parameter, in my FSX.cfg at this time.
Regards,
Al

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 05:56:38 pm »
I don't have any FSDT specific parameters, including the SmallPartsRejectRadius parameter, in my FSX.cfg at this time.

That's not an FSDT specific parameter, it's standard FSX.CFG tweak and, if the Addon Manager is indicating a value there, it means that parameter is being used, because the Addon Manager *reads* it from your FSX.CFG, unless it's showing 1 (which is why I've asked to check if it's not 1), and you never saved settings from the Addon Manager.

jordanal

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:29:45 pm »
Oh I see.  I know it's not in the fsx.cfg file, but I'll double check what the addon-manager indicates when I get home tonight.  Thanks.
Regards,
Al

jordanal

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 10:13:17 pm »
Hi Umberto - as you requested, I've confirmed the SmallPartsRejectRadius in the Addon Manager is showing 1.
Regards,
Al

Bob Savo

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 11:17:42 am »
Hi Guys, I also checked and tried varied adjustment tweaks, but no luck. My setting is also on 1. If I had to choose I would pick
none moving wheels as my primary choice. The missing wheels thing is just to weird. Your scenery is a beautiful, I love your DFW and FLL airports. The time and effort into the designs is impressive. Thank you for your professionalism.  Bob Savo