Author Topic: Bow wash effect and shimmering  (Read 5857 times)

Manta

Bow wash effect and shimmering
« on: January 10, 2013, 08:35:35 am »
Hello FSDT,

I'm sorry starting up with this kind of title, because I think that CYVR, for my tastes, is one of the best "large" airports ever done! Flying above it with Orbx PNW and Van+3 is breathtaking.

Sadly in my rig, CYVR suffers, most along the green area hosting the runways and encircling the aprons, the so called bow wash effect and a cospicuos shimmering. I tried many combinations through Nvidia Inspector to lower this annoying issue, gaining only a bit of joy at the cost of huge fps loss.

Also went back in drivers up to the first one certified by Nvidia for Win7 (64), but it didn't change a thing.

So I'm asking if you have any advice or, if you suppose, you can do something to improve (for me only?) CYVR experience?

Moreover, Am I and Andrew737 the only ones with shimmering issues?

Thanks, hope in more airports like CYVR from you (without shimmering though  ;D )
Best regards
Fabio

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Bow wash effect and shimmering
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:45:06 am »
I might have some clue, if you could explain a bit better what exactly a "bow wash effect" is.

Texture shimmering it's usually caused by a problem with MipMap settings, so it's entirely related to the video card settings. The scenery doesn't need any special setting, and the background textures, which you indicate as being the one with most problems, are correctly Mipmapped.

Manta

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 03:56:51 pm »
Hello Umberto,

thanks for paying attention to me. With the bow effect (I'm not English native so please be patient) I mean that from my viewpoint, while moving, I see distant textures morphing somehow along with white specks coming and going through the green.

If it can be of any help, Supersampling reduce the effect, but don't solve it. Moreover, building a new scenry.cfg file with only the default areas, flying above the default CYVR the runways are shadowed by the textures below them. The strange thing is that this happens only above the island hosting the airport, nowhere else.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 05:07:08 pm »
It seems your video card is not using Anisotropic filtering. Set it to force the application settings, and put it to 16x.

Manta

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 08:54:25 am »
It seems your video card is not using Anisotropic filtering. Set it to force the application settings, and put it to 16x.

Damn you are right  :)

bow effect ironed out. Now I have to solve the shimmer/flicker issue. From what I read in other threads in this forum, you stated that if not an AFCAD duplicate issue, then it must be a .bgl file somewhere. I found out that the only afcad duplicate for CYVR is the one coming from MyTraffic X , but switching it OFF didn't change a thing. Now I must search for this .bgl file.

As I said before, the flickering issue manifest itself even having Van above all scenery default library in a new brand scenery .cfg file. So I assume that the culprit .bgl file must be nested within a default folder. Am I correct?

Cheers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 09:49:00 am »
If the flickering looks like double objects on the same position, especially on ground, it's likely another scenery in conflict and yes, if it's changing the ground altitude (even slightly) it can affect CYVR even if it's on a lower layer

curt1

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 03:47:40 am »
I'm another customer with flickering / shimmering issues.  This is the only FSDT airport where I have this problem, and I suppose it's due to a stray .bgl somewhere.  I'm unable to find a conflicting .bgl for CYVR, but I do have GEX NA installed. 

Manta

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:24 am »
Hello,

after a complete uninstall of FSX, ed everything related to it, I reinstalled FSX Golden Edition and then the Acceleration Pack. Already, at first glance, over CYVR Int. default airport, everything was good and I didn't find any issue. Over a default scenery.cfg file I installed FSDT CYVR with the last stand alone addon manager, and at long last the shimmerings were gone. Now Vancouver is as smooth as silk, no more flickering or shimmering. Installed over it  FTX PNW and all is good.

So no performance, overclocking, driver or addon issue here, as you advised most likely a .bgl file somewhere messing with your product.

A happy costumer  :D