Author Topic: Terminal buildings shimmering  (Read 4579 times)

croftspardon

Terminal buildings shimmering
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:32:32 pm »
I have never had an FS computer that could display textures properly that are not mip-mapped. Needless to say they have all been Nvidia driven.
I can only guess, as we have no access to textures that some of the terminal textures have not been mipped. I think you would be disappointed to see all your beautifully crafted work appearing like it does on my system and no doubt many other users- but, of course, not all (including yours probably!).
I don't remember mip-mapping problems on all your other lovely sceneries, so I may be wrong, but if it is the case could we have an update please.

I know you don't make sceneries for us to re-work, but I take a great deal of trouble to match my sceneries to the surroundings and have an elaborate over-write system at season change. I have stopped buying other sceneries that have the ground textures within bgl files, as I now expect my scenery to look totally seemless. The summer textures certainly don't match the green surroundings and the tarmac is a bit dark and some of the yellow lines are too light (aircraft types on stand-much brighter than rest) disappointed I can't sort all this out to my personal taste- but I won't lie- I couldn't miss out on your sceneries, they are a must for me. Thank you for another great one

Keith

Andrew737

Re: Terminal buildings shimmering
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:54:34 am »
Not really sure about MipMaps (or do I want to be but....) my CYVR buildings shimmer more than ALL my other FSDT sceneries too ???

Any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated on this Umberto

I use a GTX 580 and Nvidia Inspector

Thank You

Andrew
Regards Andrew

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:02:55 am »
In general, the whole scenery has mip-maps, except for very specific cases, like small detail texture that are not visible from far away.

As an exception, directional shadows textures, which are separate from the base building textures were, were made without mip-maps, because this saved some texture size (there 5 of them at 4096x4096, and they grow from 16 to 22 MB each, with mip-maps), so we assumed it might saved a bit of ram too, because those texture, being basically black/white and without any inherent detail, don't create much problem without mip-maps. But yes, this can be dependent on the drivers configuration too.

The good news is that, alongside all the different tests we keep making about memory allocation, we found that adding mip-maps doesn't increase the RAM requirement in a measurable way, and it saves a bit of GPU memory too. I don't see much different in the visual appearance either, but perhaps if you see lots of shimmering, they might help you, so I believe we can safely add them without many issues.

Andrew737

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:36:12 am »
In general, the whole scenery has mip-maps, except for very specific cases, like small detail texture that are not visible from far away.

As an exception, directional shadows textures, which are separate from the base building textures were, were made without mip-maps, because this saved some texture size (there 5 of them at 4096x4096, and they grow from 16 to 22 MB each, with mip-maps), so we assumed it might saved a bit of ram too, because those texture, being basically black/white and without any inherent detail, don't create much problem without mip-maps. But yes, this can be dependent on the drivers configuration too.

The good news is that, alongside all the different tests we keep making about memory allocation, we found that adding mip-maps doesn't increase the RAM requirement in a measurable way, and it saves a bit of GPU memory too. I don't see much different in the visual appearance either, but perhaps if you see lots of shimmering, they might help you, so I believe we can safely add them without many issues.

Brilliant

Thanks
Regards Andrew