Author Topic: FPS  (Read 48075 times)

aceridgey

FPS
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:53:39 pm »
Hi There guys, Congratulations on the product it looks superb.

However, looking towards the centre of the aerodrome does eat the performance.

Looking away, and on the initial approach, not bad. But half the fps disappear looking towards centre. Anyway to improve this? Perhaps in a SP or anything I can be doing now?

Cheers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FPS
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 04:57:40 pm »

You don't say which side you are looking from. Because, if you are looking east, what is killing the fps is not the airport, but the default scenery+autogen behind it.

If you are looking west, towards the sea (but still with the same center terminal in view) I bet your fps is higher, isn't it ?

aceridgey

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:30:04 pm »
Facing on the westerly runway, looking into the centre of the airfield...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 06:16:44 pm »

And ? Do you see a difference whether you look towards the east or the west ? Do you have AI enabled ? The only correct way to understand if the airport "eat the performance", is to test it without AI. Mind, I'm not saying you should USE IT without AI, just TEST IT, so at least you know *where* your fps are being lost.

And, of course, is not possible to tell more, without knowing your system. This is scenery is fairly heavy on the GPU rather than the main processor. This means, it will work best with a fast graphic card, and probably not so well if the CPU is fast, but the video card isn't.

aceridgey

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:30:27 pm »

And ? Do you see a difference whether you look towards the east or the west ? Do you have AI enabled ? The only correct way to understand if the airport "eat the performance", is to test it without AI. Mind, I'm not saying you should USE IT without AI, just TEST IT, so at least you know *where* your fps are being lost.

And, of course, is not possible to tell more, without knowing your system. This is scenery is fairly heavy on the GPU rather than the main processor. This means, it will work best with a fast graphic card, and probably not so well if the CPU is fast, but the video card isn't.

Sorry Virtuali, I will be clearer.

I do not use AI traffic package, it is not an issue. I test with 0% traffic on [including cars]. Fair weather, In a multitude of different aircraft.

ORBX PW is not currently installed [plan to]

My fps get eaten up, even on views where I hardly ever see a dip from my target of 30. Wingview and spot. Which I am seeing dip to 10fps..

Specs

Windows 7 64bit
GTX 670 EVGA FTW
I5 2500k @ 4.7ghz
16gb ram etc.

High end Pc.

An option in a configuration manager to reduce the cars for example would be great, but I know you don't do that at FSDT.

A comparison with flytampa Dubai, I will not see the fps go below 30fps in these external views.

Regards,

Alex

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:44:54 pm »
My fps get eaten up, even on views where I hardly ever see a dip from my target of 30. Wingview and spot. Which I am seeing dip to 10fps...

Specs

Windows 7 64bit
GTX 670 EVGA FTW
I5 2500k @ 4.7ghz
16gb ram etc.

High end Pc.

Then something is very wrong with your configuration, or something ELSE is eating your fps.

Look the screenshot what frame rate I have, with the same GTX670 video card, but NOT overclocked, running at its default 2.66 clock, looking west, with the entire central area in view. The image quality is bad only because of the jpg compression to upload to the forum, it's way better in the sim.

So no, the problem is not the airport. Since it's very tied to GPU performances, it's possible something in your video settings ? Do you use ENB series ? That alone is capable to eat half of the fps but ONLY with sceneries which are GPU-intensive like our own.

An option in a configuration manager to reduce the cars for example would be great, but I know you don't do that at FSDT.

We don't do that, because those options are only meaningful for products made with old code, like FS8/9 libraries. With FSX, if the scenery is well optimized in drawcalls, drawing those additional polygons doesn't make much difference.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:46:38 pm by virtuali »

aceridgey

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:54:50 pm »

Before concluding there is something the matter with my system lets work it out together.

You're assuming I am using all these products and mods. I do not use ENB series, only mogisoft shade.

I am installing orbx blue, to see if it is anything with the fsx mesh that has corrupted for example.

I am constantly testing and the issue arises at LOW level only..

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 07:11:04 pm »
Before concluding there is something the matter with my system lets work it out together.

There's something "wrong" (not really wrong, but something that is causing this) with your system, it's certain, otherwise how do you explain my 51.2 fps, on the same video card and on a slower (not overclocked) system ?

You're assuming I am using all these products and mods. I do not use ENB series, only mogisoft shade.

I'm not assuming anything, you instead, assumed it was the airport that "eat your fps", but difference is, you know both your system and what you installed, I didn't, so I can only guess what you might start checking, like for ENB.

I never tried the Shade program, but it has a reputation for being lighter than ENB. However, that doesn't mean much, perhaps is not lighter HERE, on a scenery so GPU-dependent. Does it make any difference turning it off ?

What airplane you tested ? Does it make any difference with a default airplane ?

I am installing orbx blue, to see if it is anything with the fsx mesh that has corrupted for example.

The mesh shouldn't be an issue, and you would probably see terrain artifacts/spikes if the mesh had a problem.

aceridgey

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 07:24:32 pm »

As you can see, when the fps are at 29.x it is smooth as anything..

When they drop from 30 - 12ish, it stutters to hell and becomes unflyable. Only effected at low level.. All shots without any shade mod

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 07:58:36 pm »
I can reproduce your screenshot, it depends on my height and direction..

I can't see any screenshot similar to mine. What fps you have on a similar position, with the default C172, and with just the scenery in view ? Meaning no spot view and using the 2D view with the 2D panel turned off ?

This is of course the only way to know if the fps loss is due to the scenery: turning off the airplane and gauges graphics out of the test.

As you can see, when the fps are at 29.x it is smooth as anything..

What happens if you turn off the fps limiter in FSX ? I always use "Unlimited".

When they drop from 30 - 12ish, it stutters to hell and becomes unflyable. Only effected at low level.. All shots without any shade mod

The issue is, it doens't drop at *all* here. See the attached animated GIF, it shows a 360 panorama. As you can see, it never drops less than 42 fps. The image is resized, of course, otherwise the GIF was too large to be uploaded.

aceridgey

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:02:06 pm »

Umberto..

How do explain my fps loss on the wingviews, when looking away =29.9

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:12 pm »
How do explain my fps loss on the wingviews, when looking away =29.9

How do explain it is not really relevant now, since the scenery CAN run at no less than 42.9, as I show in my last screenshot, you know the scenery CAN do that.

I've asked in the previous message, what's your frame rate with:

A default airplane, in 2D panel view, without the 2D panel, and with the fps set to Unlimited ?

If you are STILL getting such slowdowns, then we have excluded another possible cause, the airplane, so we can start looking for the next one. Sooner or later, you WILL find what ELSE is causing this, and your CYVR will surely reach my fps, or probably better.

aceridgey

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 08:53:46 pm »
Umberto,

The avsim forums are stating the same issues as I am having..

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/396130-fsdreamteam-cyvr-vancouver-is-out/page__st__125#entry2565521

Can we disable this new shadow feature manually and see if that fixes it?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:00:25 pm by aceridgey »

benorg

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 09:02:56 pm »

You don't say which side you are looking from. Because, if you are looking east, what is killing the fps is not the airport, but the default scenery+autogen behind it.

If you are looking west, towards the sea (but still with the same center terminal in view) I bet your fps is higher, isn't it ?

Umberto -

I understand that you are trying to be helpful but there are a large handful of users on other forums complaining of these performance issues. You seem to be dodging the questions by blaming the FPS problems on other products, sliders, hardware, Anti Alaising, FSX.CFG config, etc. I really wish you would address the performance issues rather than delivering a product that is so demanding on hardware resources.

I currently have an Intel Core i7 2700K clocked at 4.9GHZ and an Nvidia GTX660Ti. My machine is no weakling for FSX.- I normally run the NGX at 30FPS at most addon airports.

However, with the release of YVR, I decided to download the trial and test it out before making a final decision due to previous FPS issues at KLAX. I remember my FPS problems at KLAX after purchasing and I was hoping that FSDT would have made a better effort to optimize this newer scenery for framerates. I know that you continually back up your statements by saying "We use shaders", "pure FSX code", "offloading work to GPU" etc. I have just felt the urge to confront you about this on behalf of many other users and I truly am concerned that you are overlooking some of the underlying problems. A simple config manager or performance manager would suffice to improve performance and would likely attract many buyers that are in pursuit of a balanced FPS airport.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:06:02 pm by benorg »