Author Topic: Approach Lights on Runway Issue **solved, not a problem**  (Read 7796 times)

maxam66

Approach Lights on Runway Issue **solved, not a problem**
« on: January 06, 2013, 06:37:43 pm »
Hi Umberto. CYVR looks great so far. One issue that I see is the lights at each end of the runway are standing vertically instead of laying flat. I do not recall seeing this with any of the other FSDT Scenery
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:23:57 am by virtuali »

Vanzunator

Re: Approach Lights on Runway Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:37:24 am »
Hi Umberto. CYVR looks great so far. One issue that I see is the lights at each end of the runway are standing vertically instead of laying flat. I do not recall seeing this with any of the other FSDT Scenery
I believe I have a similar issue, please see the following picture, the runway lights in close proximity to the aircraft look natural but the runway lights a bit farther from the aircraft have additional vertical artifacts around them. I have HD textures and all other suggested changes in FSDT CYVR manual applied.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:40:39 am »
This, coupled with the other message by Vanzunator about the double jetways, seems to indicate both of you have a problem with your video card, it's either the driver, or it's a setting in the driver, or it's a tweak, or it's just video memory corruption.

- First try to reset your video driver settings to default. Be sure you don't use "Transparency Antialiasing" (or "Adaptive Anti-aliasing" ).

- If that doesn't work, try to update your video driver too.

- If that doesn't work, try to reset your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG file, to have FSX rebuild a new one with default settings

- Be sure you have the "Advanced Animation" option enabled in FSX Graphic Settings.

- Be sure you apply the HIGHMEMFIX tweak to the FSX.CFG, you can enabled it with the Addon Manager too.

Vanzunator

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:47:08 am »
This, coupled with the other message by Vanzunator about the double jetways, seems to indicate both of you have a problem with your video card, it's either the driver, or it's a setting in the driver, or it's a tweak, or it's just video memory corruption.

- First try to reset your video driver settings to default. Be sure you don't use "Transparency Antialiasing" (or "Adaptive Anti-aliasing" ).

- If that doesn't work, try to update your video driver too.

- If that doesn't work, try to reset your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG file, to have FSX rebuild a new one with default settings

- Be sure you have the "Advanced Animation" option enabled in FSX Graphic Settings.

- Be sure you apply the HIGHMEMFIX tweak to the FSX.CFG, you can enabled it with the Addon Manager too.
Thank you for your quick reply. I already have the latest version of the driver available for Nvidia installed. Transparency Antialiasing disabled and 'advanced animation' in FSX enabled. I'm not overly concerned with the jetway animation issue, but I have to say the runway lights issue, especially during landings and takeoffs is really taking away from an otherwise great visual experience. Please let us know if you come up with any other potential fixes.

maxam66

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 05:45:22 am »
I cannot see Vanzuntor's pic and I was unable to post a pic until now.  This is what I mean about the lighting, I checked KLAX and it is almost the same except the lighting .bmp is a little smaller.  Is it supposed to be like this Umberto?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:47:06 am by maxam66 »

BRAUN

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:37:24 am »
Same issue as posted by Vanzunator & Maxam66, again with the latest NVIDIA driver configured correctly.

Vanzunator

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 07:10:12 am »
I cannot see Vanzuntor's pic and I was unable to post a pic until now.  This is what I mean about the lighting, I checked KLAX and it is almost the same except the lighting .bmp is a little smaller.  Is it supposed to be like this Umberto?

Ditto. if I am entering any of the runways I exactly see the same thing as the screenshot posted by maxam66. After entering the runway it looks like the screenshot I posted above myself.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:55:43 am »
I think they are supposed to look like that by design since the ones at KDFW are the same.

I dont have CYVR but they look like that at KDFW and someone asked about the lights a long time ago in the KDFW support area and Umberto confirmed they were correct and the reason behind it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 11:23:24 am »
Ok, now I understand, you are not seeing the runway lights straight-on, but from an angle, and yes, they are supposed to look like that because, being entirely custom (not made with the SDK) they don't use the lights effects and they don't rotate in view with the user, to save performance.

What mislead me was the sentence "lights at each end of the runway are standing vertically instead of laying flat.", these are runway side lights, they are not supposed to be flat in any case. And they are directional, you are supposed to see them less from an angle.

The ones that are flat, are only the centerline (if there's one) and the green on the centerline of the taxiways, but the light component will always be vertical in any case, because it's the only way to see them from a reasonable distance, without looking squashed on ground when you get close.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:30:21 am by virtuali »

maxam66

Re: Approach Lights on Runway Issue **solved, not a problem**
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 05:21:35 am »
One picture is worth a thousand words, thanks for your informative reply Umberto. Hang in there.