Author Topic: Suggestion to FSDT for OOM error resolution.  (Read 8226 times)

BrzI

Suggestion to FSDT for OOM error resolution.
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:36:33 pm »
We are now having magnificient sceneries built for FSX. YVR is one of them. Two other ones are EFHK and EDDL by Aerosoft. They both had major OOM errors on initial release. Aerosoft created patches for both sceneries within a month of release that addressed both issues. I am sure the boys at FSDT are aware of that.

My point is this :
FSDT should create a patch that will reduce memory requirements - even if it means reducing the quality of the scenery. I can tell you that the Aerosoft patches for the two sceneries supposedly reduced graphic quality - but I could not tell.

I think we will be seeing more and more of these issues crop up as new sceneries are developed.

There are people who refuse to use DX10 and also refuse to tone down the ORBX FSX settings for PNW. There are also great high-def textures by McPhat that require 4096 textures.

I did not say anything that you folks don't know already but I would please ask for a memory-reducing patch. it is possible and I don't mind waiting as long as I know that it is coming. In fact, I don't mind paying for it either.

All the best. Thanks for a great New Year's gift.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Suggestion to FSDT for OOM error resolution.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:03:11 pm »
We are now having magnificient sceneries built for FSX. YVR is one of them. Two other ones are EFHK and EDDL by Aerosoft. They both had major OOM errors on initial release. Aerosoft created patches for both sceneries within a month of release that addressed both issues. I am sure the boys at FSDT are aware of that.

Those scenery were probably bugged, like having a problem with some objects, this means they could be patched.

There are NO problems in CYVR, what causes OOM is NOT CYVR, is the fact you are insisting using it with TOO MANY OTHER THINGS.

FSX HAS a 4GB memory limit, CYVR it's just another thing that CONTRIBUTES, together with all the other things you installed in your system, to reach this limit. You just can't add and add things, and expect everything will continue to work.

As explained, several times already, you have several options:

1) Don't use it with so many add-ons

OR

2) Turn Off HD Textures

OR

3) Use DirectX 10

As explained, several times already too, the scenery has been tested to take about 3GB with the following add-ons installed: PMDG737 NGX + UT2 + FTX PNW. This should leave you with about 1GB spare. That's to dispel the idea that "CYVR could only be used with default stuff", because it's simply not true.

Even with all the above add-ons, you should still have about 1GB left. If you are using it with additional things, and reach the dreaded 4GB, FSX WILL crash, without this having anything to do with CYVR, and without we could do anything to "fix" this, since there's nothing to fix.

And of course, of the add-ons mentioned, CYVR is not even the one taking more RAM.

FSDT should create a patch that will reduce memory requirements - even if it means reducing the quality of the scenery.

The memory-reducing option that reduce the scenery quality it's already there without doing any patch: Turn OFF HD Texture, that will lower memory requirements, at the expense of some quality.

There are people who refuse to use DX10 and also refuse to tone down the ORBX FSX settings for PNW. There are also great high-def textures by McPhat that require 4096 textures.

So, by which rule, you are deciding that we should "reduce" our scenery quality (which you can do it anyway, turning off HD textures) but you "refuse" to tone down Orbx and McPhat textures ?? That doesn't make any sense.

pmb11

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 02:02:17 am »
Hi,

first of all: This is excellent scenery. Together with ORBX PNW and Vancouver 3+ the whole area looks nothing but brilliant.

The downside is: Occasional OOMs here, too.

1) I fly a little C172, no PMDG or similar. I use Traffic 360, probably not as memory hungry as other traffic addon's, but still. Reducing traffic did help, a bit.

3) DX10 is not an option at all in Prepar3D, which to my best knowledge has no DX10 mode.

2) Turning down textures until 1024 finally got me into the air. However, after several flyovers over CYVR and trying to land, I still ended up with an OOM.

I am not quite sure what to switch off, now. REX textures? (I only use the textures, not the weather engine.) No weather add-on running at present. BTW, I never get OOMs over KLAX with Traffic 360 and reasonable traffic settings.

This is with Prepar3D under Win 7/64, i7-2600/3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX560Ti with 2GB dedicated VRAM.

Kind Regards, Michael

Gkvarga

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 05:13:16 am »
It never fails.  Every time something does not work, it's always somebody elses's fault.  Every reply is the same.  It is arrogance is what it is.

Read the Aerosoft support forums.  They don't reply to their customers the way they do here.

psykie

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 05:25:54 am »
Hello

I'm not hearing it like you are Gkvarga.  I just think that FSDT/Umberto is tired of repeating himself over and over.  I too have a lot of add-ons so I hope this issue doesn't happen to me.  But, if it does I will know what to do.

Matthew
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 05:28:39 am by psykie »
Matthew
i7-4770K3.5Ghz OC 4.5Ghz on a Z87-Pro ASUS MOBO, with a 240GB SSD for FSX only, 16gb/2400 Vengence DDR-3, Nividia GeForce GTX 780, on Win 7, 64 bit operating system.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 06:25:57 am »
It never fails.  Every time something does not work, it's always somebody elses's fault.  Every reply is the same.  It is arrogance is what it is.

I'd have to disagree. Umberto and his team are usually the first to admit when there is a problem with their products and if you spend time browsing the forum, you will see that Umberto is an extremely patient fellow in helping people get issues solved that 99% of the time end up being a problem with the users set up and/or computer. Umberto has even on occasion gotten on Team Speak or whatever that program is where he can speak to people over the net and help them trouble shoot problems. Not many developers do that at all. Like psykie said, Umberto probably gets tired of answering the same questions over and over.

Read the Aerosoft support forums.  They don't reply to their customers the way they do here.

Well there usual reply is usually something like "Let me ask the developer", then it's usually sometime before you ever hear anything back if ever. Since they distribute a lot of other developers products, its a lot harder to get good support there in my experience since they dont have the developers in house like you find when you go direct like you do here or at other developers forums.

All in all, you'll have a hard time finding better support or people that care about helping users who have problems getting something to work, than you will with FSDT. I'd rate FSDT's customer support a 10 out of 10 from all the experience I have had with Umberto and his team over the past 4 years that I have been buying and using their products.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 12:48:47 pm »

This kind of post, seems to be the most clear example that, when someone doesn't *want* to understand, there's not much we could do. But, at least, this is something that can be MEASURED and and you can't argue about numbers and facts, so this hopefully this results will make changing your mind:

Here's some numbers for you:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=7842.msg64881#msg64881

This finally demonstrates two things:

- CYVR is fairly large, but it's NOT the most memory-consuming item in a typical usage scenario

- You have several options, like using DX10 AND/OR turning off HD textures, that will allow you to save memory, with savings equaling the ENTIRE memory amount taken by CYVR.

And I've said on the other post, those tests undeniably proved that CYVR takes about 12% of the maximum possible addressable space in FSX, which is 4GB. And it's just fair and to be expected a detailed airport scenery should be allowed to reserve such part for itself.

BrzI

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 09:31:46 pm »
I rest my case. 

After my initial post I made 5 flights at sunset and UT2=100% and lots of clouds with the BBS A320. No OOM errors occurred.

This turned into something I did not expect. My apologies to Umberto.

Thanks for a great product.

pmb11

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 03:41:31 am »
I rest my case, too.

After tinkering with traffic, graphics sliders, NvidiaInspector etc. I recalled a tweak I inserted into prepar3d.cfg some time ago:

[BufferPools]
Bufferpools=1
PoolSize=10485760
RejectThreshold=131072

The last line was inserted by Jesus' Tool and is okay. I removed the first two lines, and OOMs were gone immediately. I learned before that Bufferpools=0 can be dangerous, so these two lines may be dangerous, too.

Not anyone with OOMs might have these lines, but the lesson to learn might be: Try removing some tweaks you inserted and might not even recall (I usually keep backups before any tweaks).

After my first successful landing, I am totally happy with CYVR now.

Kind regards and thanks to Fsdreamteam for a wonderful airport, Michael