Author Topic: Updating Nightmare  (Read 3977 times)

scoeva

Updating Nightmare
« on: July 14, 2008, 02:10:30 pm »
Unfortunately updating O'hare and Zurich has become a complete nightmare to the point that now I can't even start FS9. When I tried updating O'hare and Zurich, the installer got to a certain point and said "sorry, files cannot be downloaded". I made sure that all antivirus, firewall programs etc, were turned off, and that the browser cache was empty. I've actually done everything that I had read on other posts related to updating; still no luck. I then decided to revert back to version 1.1 and 1.3; BIG MISTAKE!!!! Now I can't even start FS9. Please, for the love of all things sacred, HELP!!

Scott

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Updating Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 02:53:35 pm »
There must be some problem in your internet connection. I've just checked the installer now, and it downloads just fine.

If the setup can't download files, the problem probably is your firewall settings: if you have a firewall, you need to grant permission to access the internet to the installer EXE. Usually, a firewall program (eg. Zone Alarm) will warn you if any executable tries to get online access, and will ask you to give it permission. Be also careful about using two firewalls at once, this usually creates problems like, for example, using a 3rd party firewall together with the Windows one. Be sure you are using only one firewall, and be sure the setup gets permissions to go online to fetch the crucial files needed.

scoeva

Re: Updating Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:25:01 pm »
Hello again,
Good news: I'm back up and running again on FS9 and I finally got the updates to work. I found out about a program called 'end it all' and that seemed to do the trick. There must have been something else blocking the download even though I had my AV and Firewall turned off. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Scott