Author Topic: CYVR OOM when using PMDG NGX and ORBX PNW  (Read 92694 times)

LuisKMIA

CYVR OOM when using PMDG NGX and ORBX PNW
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:46:21 am »
The scenery looks fantastic, but I've tried making a flight from CYVR using the PMDG 737NGX, and I get an out of memory error usually within a minute.  I don't have this problem with other the other FSDT airports.  When I use default FSX airplanes, this problem does not happen.  I've tried four times already.

I also use ORBX PNW (I removed their default CYVR files and put FSDT CYVR on top), and I keep my autogen at sparse.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Luis

Intel Core i7 27000
Processor Cores:4
Processor Speed:4.6 Overclocked
RAM:16GB DDR3 SDRAM
Video Board Manufacturer:NVIDIA
Video Board Model:GeForce GTX 580
Video Memory:3GB
Operating System:Windows 7-64
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 04:26:50 am by LuisKMIA »

keino333

Re: CYVR OOM when using PMDG NGX and ORBX PNW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 06:15:59 am »
Just tried..have the same issue....Pmdg NGX , Orbx, REX, AS2012...dig within 7 mins of exploring the scenery followed by Oom message.  Excellent / Magnificent textures through and through...shadows/ shade and shine amazing..Fix please/ Recommendation please

mug_c

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:31:28 am »
The scenery looks fantastic, but I've tried making a flight from CYVR using the PMDG 737NGX, and I get an out of memory error usually within a minute.  I don't have this problem with other the other FSDT airports.  When I use default FSX airplanes, this problem does not happen.  I've tried four times already.

I also use ORBX PNW (I removed their default CYVR files and put FSDT CYVR on top), and I keep my autogen at sparse.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Luis

Intel Core i7 27000
Processor Cores:4
Processor Speed:4.6 Overclocked
RAM:16GB DDR3 SDRAM
Video Board Manufacturer:NVIDIA
Video Board Model:GeForce GTX 580
Video Memory:3GB
Operating System:Windows 7-64

Notice you are on Win7-64 - have the same config and was looking forward to using with Orbx PNW and PMDG 737. Going to hold off until some more reports come in on OOM issues.

Do you happen to have the Microsoft OOM patch in that addresses the heap limitation? I got my first OOM message about a month ago with another scenery, came across this patch, installed, and have not had a repeat of the issue.

1 description of the patch - http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/oom-out-of-memory-helperfix/

direct link to MS site with patch - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

-mug

altstiff

• My F/O is a dog
    • Visit my flightsim blog..
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:42:06 am »
And that fix has nothing to do with the issues we are seeing in FSX and OOM errors. It does nothing...

The issue on 64bit systems has to do with the way DX9 maps the texture memory via the VAS (and FSX being a 32bit appliction it is limited to 4GB, no more, no less).

If you are using a video card in DX9 with a large amount of GPU memory it actually makes it worse for OOM errors.

Matter of fact, my OOM issues were few and far between on my old 1024MB 460. Now with my 660 3GB I get them much more often.

Look at this thread as it has a discussion and some links to some tweaks you can try (like switching to DX10 as it maps GPU memory in a different way than DX9).

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=7527.0

For me (and keep in mind I too still get them but not as often) turning down the LOD/traffic and Autogen helped reduce the OOM issues since getting my new video card.

With FSX it seems like one step forward and then two steps back...  :'(

mug_c

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 06:54:01 am »
And that fix has nothing to do with the issues we are seeing in FSX and OOM errors. It does nothing...

The fix did resolve the type of repeatable OOM message I was receiving with my i7 950 / GTX460 setup with with another scenery - so likely there are multiple issues and multiple approaches to the problem.  It was the only change I made to address the issue, and it was successful in my case. Certainly agree that cranking back the heavy hitters such as Autogen/traffic/lod goes a long way.

Here's hoping that YVR runs well on all of our systems!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 11:43:50 am »
Excellent / Magnificent textures through and through...shadows/ shade and shine amazing..Fix please/ Recommendation please

There's nothing we can "fix" from our side, increased RAM requirement comparing to, let's say, KLAX, is what makes such good graphics possible.

What you can do is:

- Don't use so many add-ons at the same time. We tested CYVR with PNW+UT2 at 100% AI and the PMDG NGX, and were never able to surpass 3.0GB of RAM usage in total, which means there should be at least 1GB spare. If you got an OOM, it means you were way closer to the 4GB limit, so I'd say you are simply using too much stuff and/or too high settings.

- Try without HD Textures.

- Switch to DirectX10. The scenery is fully compatible with it, and DX10 saves a lot of memory, because it doesn't address VRAM into user RAM as DX9 does. This is more and more effective, the more VRAM an application uses, and FSX with many addons can use a lot of it.

keino333

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:34:53 pm »
noted...awesome awesome awesome...rebooted and turned down my settings they where too high (Orbx recommended settings) no Oom now. 

I did notice a bit of scenery flashing on departure and while circling airport

CXA001

• Canadian Xpress Virtual AirlineĀ®
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 02:42:58 pm »
I found by unchecking HD Textures, it eliminated the OOM errors and I was still able to use all my usual addons (i.e. PMDG aircraft, OrbX, ActiveSky, etc.)

VATSIM: P2|I1|SUP

LuisKMIA

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 05:48:26 pm »
I will use Umberto's suggestion and run it in DX10

Thanks!

LuisKMIA

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 06:42:10 pm »
UPDATE: Running in DX10 preview fixed everything!

Now it's time to fly.

Thanks again!

irishcurse

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 07:40:59 pm »
I just had the OOM error and crash while on approach. In the 3 years I have had this machine I have never had a OOM error. I have all of your US scenerys and have all the fixes in place for win 7 64bit. I am also using the NGX and Orbx PNW scenery. These OOM can't all be our computers fault. Something in the NGX, Orbx and this scenery don't get along. I will try running the DX10 preview.

I turned on the DX10 preview and I have jaggy lines on my aircraft. I looked up the settings again for the Nvidia Inspector and while checking that I noticed PMDG does not reccomend running FSX in the DX preview mode. they say it's slower and buggy. Any suggestion other than not flying in with the NGX and PNW?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:13:21 pm by irishcurse »

Brian S

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 09:05:26 pm »
I was getting some OOM's because I really push my system too hard.  I lowered the LOD radius to 6.0 from 10.0 (I have a lot of photoscenery and 10.0 really takes away the blurries for me).  Now running NGX with Vancouver Plus (old version 2.0) and the CYVR demo does not cause OOM's.  I fly in DX10 with the 3.2.2 shader fix from AVSIM and 100% custom AI.

My System   I7 2700K sandy bridge O/C to 4.8 MHZ
16 GB Ram
680GTX OC edition at 1200 MHZ, 6000 MHZ memory.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 09:17:23 pm »
These OOM can't all be our computers fault. Something in the NGX, Orbx and this scenery don't get along. I will try running the DX10 preview.

If you are saying this, you haven't followed the explanation, really.

First, FSX can't address more than 4GB in total. That's nothing we can do about this. CYVR has been TESTED to work perfectly with the PMDG737 + FTX PNW + UT2 at 100% complexity. Under this configuration, it takes about 3GB of RAM, meaning you have about 1GB of spare room, under a 64 bit OS, of course.

If you try to run MORE stuff than that, you are approaching the 4GB limit and sorry, you'll have to start to make CHOICES, you simply can't just add and add stuff, and expect it will always run.

I turned on the DX10 preview and I have jaggy lines on my aircraft

This means you haven't setup the antialiasing correctly.

. I looked up the settings again for the Nvidia Inspector and while checking that I noticed PMDG does not reccomend running FSX in the DX preview mode. they say it's slower and buggy. Any suggestion other than not flying in with the NGX and PNW?

DX10 was slower and buggy as it was released, but with the recent tweaks that has been made to it, made it very usable and a concrete alternative, chech the DirectX10 forum over at Avsim

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/

And, that information might be obsolete by now, since later drivers from nVidia (if you have an nVidia, of course), improved DX10 support a lot. I don't find it any slower than FS9, but it makes for a smoother flight for sure.

Any suggestion other than not flying in with the NGX and PNW?

You can try turning off HD Textures.

irishcurse

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 10:31:19 pm »
I will try these solutions. thanks for the quick response. Starting my descent into there now with the QW757. Fingers crossed.

altstiff

• My F/O is a dog
    • Visit my flightsim blog..
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 10:54:28 pm »
Gentlemen, keep this in mind too.

If you are using ORBX PNW along with some of the addon airports they provide such as KORS/74S/KBVS/3W5/WA56 and the freeware 7WA3 this is going to kill the VAS 4GB limit.

Not to mention when flying ORBX PNW most user like me, fly G/A airplanes that do not require the resources big iron do such as the the NGX.

Some of the mentioned airports there are close to 1GB in size each, far larger a footprint than FSDT CYVR.

Running ORBX PNW with some of their addon airports with the PMDG NGX (something we are all doing now) will certainly start to clobber and impact the 4GB VAS limit.

Not to kiss the ass of FSDT, I call a spade a spade. But, I hardly think FSDT are to blame for the rash of OOM errors people are seeing when we are using so many other addon's in the area, and then adding the PMDG (or similar types) to the mix.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:56:09 pm by altstiff »