Author Topic: Aircraft Start Unit  (Read 10408 times)

mroschk

Aircraft Start Unit
« on: January 01, 2013, 05:00:30 pm »
Hello,

first all a happy new year 2013....

Then i want to ask if it is possible to have a Air Start Unit in case of a APU failure?

Matthias

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Aircraft Start Unit
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 02:16:36 pm »
Then i want to ask if it is possible to have a Air Start Unit in case of a APU failure?

Default airplanes don't have APUs in the first place, and 3rd party airplanes which have an APU, either have their own Air Start unit (most notable example, the PMDG NGX) or if they don't, they implement APUs each one in different ways, so it would be very difficult to create an Air Start unit that works with any airplane that could *detect* an APU failure, because some 3rd party airplanes might have implemented the failure as internal gauge variables which are not easily accessed from outside and would require reverse-engineering their gauges and keep GSX updated each time they'll eventually fix their gauges.

Very few products have their own internal simulation variables accessible from the outside, or an SDK. And those that have one (again, the PMDG is the most important example), already have their own Air Start unit.

booforty

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:23:22 pm »
Hi Virtuali,

How about being able to have a "non-functioning" but purely visual air start unit.  So when an aircraft is parked and engines off, you have the option to select its appearance near the nose of the users aircraft until pushback is called?  It would look great and certainly most of the aircraft I fly could do with having the visual appearance of an air start unit when parked.

mroschk

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 11:15:48 pm »
Hello,

i think the standard boeing has a APU build in...

Matthias

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 11:33:55 am »

That's exactly what I've said: FSX has introduced an APU system, but nobody except the default 737 use it, and nobody will want a GSX feature that works only with 1 default airplane.

And, it would be very tricky supporting each 3rd party airplane, since each one have its own way to simulate the APU, it's way more complex than reading custom doors with XML variables, because there are surely tied to an XML variable (so we can put an XML expression to test it), but the APU doesn't need to, so it's likely an in-memory variable that should be accessed by reverse-engineering the gauges, which would stop working as soon as the developer releases an upgrade. We could basically do it only for the very few airplanes that have an SDK, like the PMDG which, incidentally, already has its own visible APU vehicle, so it wouldn't make sense to add a new one in GSX.

booforty

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 02:13:34 pm »
My request was more of a "Visual" air start unit rather than a "functioning" one.   Visually it would look great parked up near the nose of the aircraft - it could be an option if you want it to appear or not?

mroschk

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:20:39 pm »
Hello,

sorry for the late answer.

But i also mean only a visual APU, not a working one.
Also there are very often use a ASU ( Air Start Unit ) to provide Air Pressure to start the Engines.
Also as a visual future...

Both would be very nice !!

Matthias

cowings1588

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:19:15 am »

That's exactly what I've said: FSX has introduced an APU system, but nobody except the default 737 use it, and nobody will want a GSX feature that works only with 1 default airplane.

And, it would be very tricky supporting each 3rd party airplane, since each one have its own way to simulate the APU, it's way more complex than reading custom doors with XML variables, because there are surely tied to an XML variable (so we can put an XML expression to test it), but the APU doesn't need to, so it's likely an in-memory variable that should be accessed by reverse-engineering the gauges, which would stop working as soon as the developer releases an upgrade. We could basically do it only for the very few airplanes that have an SDK, like the PMDG which, incidentally, already has its own visible APU vehicle, so it wouldn't make sense to add a new one in GSX.

One of those kind of things that works great only in Real Life Airplane world..  Besides it sucks having to get that big Airstart Unit going.. We Ramp agents hate it infact when an Airplane calls for it because means more work & more trouble & hassle turning a flight, when have to deal with an Airstart.. Thankfully only select few airplanes need it.. Like it better when Airplanes APU is working..  :)
COA
Bill

nsksleeper

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 10:36:14 am »
Hello together,

my question is if it's possible to simulate an airstart. Means with PMDG to start Nr. 1 engine at the gate and then get a pushback, because GSX says i have to cutoff engines to get P/B
Markus Schmidthaler

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 10:38:02 am »
my question is if it's possible to simulate an airstart. Means with PMDG to start Nr. 1 engine at the gate and then get a pushback, because GSX says i have to cutoff engines to get P/B

This has been asked several times on the forum: no, GSX doesn't allow this yet. We should add explicit support for it, as well explicit support for starting with one engine only, on specific planes.

nsksleeper

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 08:34:37 am »
Thanks a lot so far
Markus Schmidthaler

mroschk

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 11:55:06 am »
..dont make it too complicated .. just add a ASU even if this is not working.
Just as a nice looking object.

trainmeister

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 07:07:13 pm »
Please allow me to add my $0.02 by requesting a non-functional GSU and/or GPU simply for the aesthetic value. :D

mroschk

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 12:11:08 am »
thats what i want .. thanks