Author Topic: visualfx.dll crash  (Read 5468 times)

Renzo Marcus

visualfx.dll crash
« on: December 27, 2012, 10:38:03 pm »
Hi there,

I have reinstalled FSDT o'Hare today after buying a brand new SSD. I installed ORD (Addon Manager was already installed and working perfectly fine) and started FSX. Now I get a crash concerning the visualfx.dll file right after FSX loads and displays the flight setup menu.
I uninstalled ORD and installed the standalone Addon Manager again, the crash remains. I again installed ORD, but still no luck.

Anyone please?

Kind regards,
Renzo Marcus

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: visualfx.dll crash
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 11:44:06 pm »
This problem doesn't have anything to do with the scenery or the installation and let alone the Addon Manager. It's seems to be related to some effect file or texture missing or corrupted. The most clear proof the crash is unrelated to the scenery, is that it continues even if you uninstall the scenery, this finally proves the scenery doesn't have anything to do with it, since the uninstaller removes everything that comes with the scenery.

For the record, the scenery comes with 3 effect files, they are all removed when uninstalling, and they only refer to *default* FSX textures, so they can't possibly cause such problem, especially after uninstalling the scenery, because in addition to the effect files being removed, there's no scenery left to call them.

And of course, nobody else reported this problem with KORD up to now so, it's fairly sure the problem doesn't have anything to do with it, the appearance after installing KORD was purely coincidental.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 11:46:08 pm by virtuali »

Renzo Marcus

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:01:36 am »
Now that's quite easy to say... It is VERY remarkable the problem appeared after I installed FSDT ORD. I did not install anything else apart for ORD, and you know yourself these dll's don't change themselves...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:15:15 am »
Now that's quite easy to say...

That's the only correct thing to say, because it's technically impossible for an uninstalled scenery to cause a crash into the effects module. And, the KORD installer doesn't modify any of the default effects in any way. It only reference to some default texture files, but it doesn't touch them and of course the KORD effects files themselves are removed when installing the scenery.

It is VERY remarkable the problem appeared after I installed FSDT ORD

As I've said, it was purely coincidental. And this is misleading you thinking the problem has anything to do with it.

.I did not install anything else apart for ORD

That doesn't mean of course that's nothing in your FSX installation can't be corrupted, without this having anything to do with the KORD installation or even without you having to install another addon. In fact, since as I've already said, the only other file the (REMOVED) Effect file that comes with KORD are calling are default texture files (but even when KORD is installed, these are NOT MODIFIED in any way by it), it's possible it's one of the default texture files for effect might have been corrupted, simply because of a problem with your file system, for example.

and you know yourself these dll's don't change themselves...

It's not the .dll has "changed", when you have a crash into a .dll, it doesn't necessarily mean the .dll is "bad" or has been "changed", .dll usually crash when they access OTHER files and THOSE might been corrupted.

When you get a FE.DLL crash, it's not the FE.DLL that "changed", it's one of your AI models that has a problem, when you have a TERAIN.DLL crash, it's one of the default *texture* files that has a problem, when you have a G3D.dll crash, it's one of the thousands of .MDL files included in a .BGL that has a problem, etc, etc, etc.

So no, fact that the crash happens in visualfx.dll, only indicates there's some kind of problem with one of the effect files that this .DLL access, not that .dll has "changed".
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:16:59 am by virtuali »

Renzo Marcus

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 12:33:29 am »
Alright, thanks anyways. System restore now, and if that doesn't help reinstall of SP's, and as a last resort, FSX reinstall...
I've done a Google about this and found loads of people with the same issue, but their solutions don't help mine.