Author Topic: The Pitching Deck Saga - Redux  (Read 37337 times)

SUBS17

Re: The Pitching Deck Saga - Redux
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 03:40:12 am »
IRL do the lights compensate for sea states?

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 05:46:15 am »
SUBS17,
Yes indeed http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2308.45

Orion,
Just curious... Here's my gues how the ship would look like if nose pitched up to -0,7. Yes, Javier's model has no underwater parts, so we can see that its flat bottom shows up from the water  :)

Do the ship's roll/pitch axes coincide with the center of its model? If yes, I suppose that this pitch will effectively heave the FLOLS (and its focal point) to a certain extent. Additionally, touchdown points (i.e. wires) will move up and down too... The vLSO, on the other hand, supposes that the focal point of the FLOLS is steady somewhere at 54'..55' ASL. Have you tried to land on the deck with your program and vLSO running simultaneously?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:55:20 am by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Orion

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 09:58:01 am »
I'm not actually sure about the rotational axis - I'd expect it to be around the center of the model, though.  The FLOLS assembly will heave, but the lights will stay in roughly the same three dimensional position relative to the non-moving rotational axis of the carrier.  I don't have a good way of verifying the wire and catapult locations, though.  I haven't flown with both the vLSO and the pitching carrier yet, in fear of being waved off. :P
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:09:53 am by Orion »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 10:07:18 am »
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you  ;D

Orion

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 09:47:17 am »
See initial post.

I'll be out for the holidays, so have fun and try not to break it. :P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:54:53 am by Orion »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 06:11:24 pm »
.NET Framework 4.5 does not support Windows XP
Bummer...  :-[

Orion

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 06:48:12 am »
Made a new version targeting .NET 4 Client Profile.  Should be compatible with XP, but I haven't tested it.  Also added the link to the first post.  Make sure you download the main package so you have the readme and BeatlesBlog SimConnect library.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:00:42 am by Orion »

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 02:31:55 am »
video clip showing Orion's pitching deck.
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 05:56:41 am »
 For me that is a good video find, thanks. Just for information if anyone wants to try the SRVL Shipborne Rolling Vertical Landing on a CVF (is there an FSX CVF - UK new carrier - available?) or a CVN angle deck (similar deck run length for the SRVL) the UK F-3 5Bs plan to approach on a six degree glideslope at 60 knots airspeed to have a wheelspeed touch down at around 35 knots (so 25 knots of WOD) [touchdown point is approx. 150 feet forward from the stern - although computer landing aid technology can vary this point considering conditions at the time so that a safe landing/stopping is possible].

The F-35B has done many rolling vertical landings on the runways at NAS Patuxent River. However the SRVL is only likely to be tested on an actual CVF around 2018, when CVF will be first in service being tested with the F-35Bs for the RN/RAF. The SRVL may not be used at all it was revealed in June last year - however computer modelling and likely testing will happed due to a contract for this purpose. It is unlikely to be used on a CVN because the USMC (which had  hoped to have an all F-35B force before changing to have some F-35Cs which will operate from CVNs (rather than any USMC F-35Bs). Time will tell I suppose.

Here is a deck plan for the ski jump CVF which will be used with the UK F-35Bs (shown here) while the angle deck version is not going to be used but shown in JPG online:

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/320960_484091574965928_192756236_n.jpg

Now attached is a ZIPPED .WMV clip 'CVF_F-35BnightSRVL.zip' (2.5Mb) from an old animated video about the CVF showing an SRVL with approximate touchdown point near the aft portion of the aft island on CVF. Screenshots attached are from this video clip.

http://www.baesystems.com/cs/groups/public/documents/digitalmedia/mdaw/mdq1/~edisp/baes_027258~2~h264rendition.mp4 (20Mb)

Same clip as ZIP file .WMV attached is here on Youtube:

CVF F-35B Night SRVL Animation

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:49:26 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 05:40:41 am »
If you can somehow get the cats to work this program will be near the top, if not the very top, of my "best FSX addon ever" list.
Pops

Orion

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 06:08:28 am »
The catapults are out of my control.  However, I've found that you can connect to the catapults and launch if you're quick, but often they become disarmed.

I suspect this is because the attachpoint for the catapult, like the runway lights and IFLOLS, doesn't pitch and roll with the rest of the visual model.

Letourn

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 10:26:59 pm »

jonboy21075

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 12:18:28 am »
is there a way to make the deck stop pitching when you're wheels down on deck, then start up again on take-off? that's how vrs got around that issue with their tacpack

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 02:59:44 am »
Thanks 'Letourn' - I'll check it out.

Another potential candidate perhaps: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?71714-Queen-Elizabeth-Class-Carrier
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:28:32 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »
Hey Orion, is there a way to modify how much the deck pitches and rolls? For most ops I would enjoy a more subtle deck movement pattern. Perhaps in a future beta release there could be controls implemented that allowed used specified pitch and roll values.
Pops