Author Topic: Can't boot Windows 7 after running System Restore  (Read 7057 times)

ATF

Can't boot Windows 7 after running System Restore
« on: December 03, 2012, 01:59:00 am »
Hello,

I've got a huge problem after purchasing and installing the FSDT LAX scenery last weekend.  I already had the Cloud9 scenery installed on my Dell XPS desktop and I first had to uninstall it except I could not find the Cloud9 scenery listed on my currently installed program list in the Windows 7 Control Panel.  I had the same problem when I wanted to uninstall the Cloud9 Amsterdam scenery.  I couldn't find an uninstall file anywhere on my computer.

I ended up deactivating the Cloud9 LAX scenery through the Add On manager in FS9 and then I deleted the KLAX folders in my Cloud9 folder within my main Flight Simulator folder.  I also deleted the Cloud9 LAX scenery in my FS9 scenery library.

I then successfully installed the FSDT LAX scenery and I was able to run FS9 and explore KLAX.  The following morning after having left FS9 paused at KLAX and minimized to my desktop, I found my computer had crashed and gone into Start-up Repair.  Start-up Repair runs and can't fix what ever is apparently wrong.  There is mention of a possible system configuration change issue in the Start-up Repair report.

When I try system restore I find I have a restore point from just a few days prior to the crash and prior to the FSDT LAX installation (and Cloud9 LAX uninstall) but when I check on any affected programs it doesn't find any programs that will be affected by using the restore point and it doesn't show FSDT KLAX listed as installed in the program list.  When I try to select the restore point it shows a status message of "must enable system protection" which seems very strange because I know I have system protection "on" and I have multiple restore points listed to choose from.  I used system restore successfully a little over a year ago after my computer experienced issues with a graphics card driver update.

Now at start-up, my computer crashes to a black screen approximately 5 seconds after the Windows 7 emblem appears.  Safe Mode does the same thing.  I can't get my computer to boot Windows 7 at all.  Any ideas what has happened?  It has to be connected to the FSDT LAX installation/Cloud9 uninstall.  Nothing else had been added or changed at the time of the crash.  I've never had problems like this before with other FSDT sceneries that I have purchased.

(I accidentally posted this in the Cloud9 LAX forum initially)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:13:18 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can't boot Windows 7 after running System Restore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 02:18:21 am »
I then successfully installed the FSDT LAX scenery and I was able to run FS9 and explore KLAX.

This clearly indicates there was nothing wrong in your FSDT KLAX installation.

The following morning after having left FS9 paused at KLAX and minimized to my desktop, I found my computer had crashed and gone into Start-up Repair.

That's not possibly caused by KLAX but, most likely, a bug in one of your drivers and the computer went in Stand-by and probably crashed trying to coming out of it.

I used system restore successfully a little over a year ago after my computer experienced issues with a graphics card driver update.

Exactly, video drivers are usually the worse offenders when the computer crashes when left alone, because of problems with Standby.

Any ideas what has happened? 

From your description of the problem, it's clear the problem was caused by System restore.

It has to be connected to the FSDT LAX installation/Cloud9 uninstall.

No, it wasn't. Nothing there can cause a black screen (only low level drivers can) and System Restore is known to be dangerous.

ATF

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:05:56 am »
I found a solution on the internet for what's been called the "Recovery from the Windows 7 Infinite Loop Recovery" and I'm finally back up and running!

I checked my Windows 7 Control Panel's program list for uninstalling or changing a program and all of my FSDreamTeam sceneries are listed except for KLAX even though it's still installed in my Flight Simulator folder after my recovery--any idea why?

Did I uninstall the Cloud9 KLAX scenery correctly?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:32:27 am »
I checked my Windows 7 Control Panel's program list for uninstalling or changing a program and all of my FSDreamTeam sceneries are listed except for KLAX even though it's still installed in my Flight Simulator folder after my recovery--any idea why?

Still some mess created by System restore, most likely. If you really want to see KLAX there, uninstall it and reinstall it now.