Author Topic: LAS keeps disappearing  (Read 4602 times)

Angelo926

LAS keeps disappearing
« on: November 19, 2012, 06:57:43 am »
KLAS and that Cout (sp) keep disappearing. I have installed it three times each with the same results. I run Norton's which I have to turn the anti-virus off just to download the file. Why does Norton's not like this scenery and how can I keep it from disappearing?

Angelo

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: LAS keeps disappearing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:36:32 pm »
Norton antivirus is one of the greatest offender, regarding to false positives. You'll probably need to Download AND Install with the antivirus entirely off  and, before launching FSX, you need to configure it to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

For precise information about how to do this on your antivirus, refer to its documentation.

iwn

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:28:56 pm »
Offeders and defenders are mixed up here. Norton is used by the millions and couatl by the thousands. Which one should be given priority?

My advice is to send the problematic file to Norton for examination.

I took the FSDT files from Norton´s quarantene and gave them permission to be installed with heavy doubts about what I´m allowing but in the given circumstances this seems to be the only way to go. Don´t switch off Norton, it is your friend, not the couatl.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 02:53:42 pm »
Offeders and defenders are mixed up here. Norton is used by the millions and couatl by the thousands. Which one should be given priority?

An antivirus is supposed to detect real threats without mistakenly detect false positives. If it's detecting false positives, it means it's not doing its job correctly.

The real question is, why it's ONLY Norton and a few others, while the vast majority of antivirus products don't have a problem with it ?

What Norton detects, it's NOT a threat. It's the infamous "WS.Reputation" message. WS.Reputation is NOT the name of a virus. It's a message from Norton that file hasn't gained enough "reputation" to be known to be safe. It's the most idiotic idea of protection because, it means a file that gets updated often, by a small developer, will NEVER get enough reputation to considered to be safe.

Read a complete explanation here:

http://www.codeandweb.com/blog/2012/06/23/how-symantec-ruins-independent-developers

We have the same issue.

My advice is to send the problematic file to Norton for examination.

And you don't think we always doing this ? We obviously do and, their reply is always invariably the same: we found the problem (they obviously do, since THEIR algorithm is flawed) and it will be fixed in the next Live Update.

But what they do, is NOT fixing the algorithm, they only flag *THAT* specific executable to be safe so, we should resend the file EACH time we change even 1 single bit. If it was just the Couatl.exe file, it wouldn't be too difficult sending it to them each new release. It's because all our installers  *contains* that file too and *downloads* it, Norton considers THEM to be threats too so, we should send them ALL our installers each time they are updated too.

I took the FSDT files from Norton´s quarantene and gave them permission to be installed with heavy doubts about what I´m allowing but in the given circumstances this seems to be the only way to go. Don´t switch off Norton, it is your friend, not the couatl.

Of course, the reality is exactly the opposite: the program you are trusting (Norton) is giving you a great disservice, because is mistakenly blocking a legit file, for very questionable reasons (again, read the explanation about what "WS.Reputation" really means) preventing you to use it.

Something that many other antivirus software, including the free and always updated MS Security Essentials, don't do.