Author Topic: We would like to hear your suggestions about a GSX Open API  (Read 68260 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
We would like to hear your suggestions about a GSX Open API
« on: November 16, 2012, 05:37:29 pm »
As you probably know, GSX has been a very good product for us, it's by large our fastest selling product, and has constantly grown following users suggestions, and it's a way better product today than it was 9 months ago when it was released. With GSX, users are discovering way more airports than ever, since it gives life and purpose even to default airports. And, since it's 100% and officially compatible with Prepar3D, is open to the future. It's our main product, so we are not letting it going anywhere, but will keep improving it.

There are so many different uses for it and every user need is different and many 3rd party developers privately contacted me in the past to discuss some way to interface their application with GSX. Some even did it without our help, with smart reverse-engineering, but it's clear everything would work better if we openly supported an official way to interface with it.

Some example of possible applications that interface with GSX that have been suggested are:

- Controlling GSX using voice command

- Having a Virtual Co-pilot function that will operate GSX on his own

- Operating GSX from a networked PC

- Putting GSX messages on a different screen, perhaps even a different device like a phone or a tablet.

- Using GSX when sharing a cockpit when flying online

These are just examples, but I'm sure other developers might add their own ideas. There's a whole area of possible interactions for sceneries, for example. Our own sceneries use some GSX-exclusive features, maybe other scenery developers would like to use it too, this will increase the value of the scenery to GSX users, and there are many of them...

We had some discussions about how an API might work, but we would like to hear your ideas about it so, we opened a Developers area on this forum.

If you do add-ons for FSX and would like to give your feedback about what you would need to interface with GSX with your application, JOIN that area on our forum this way:

1) If you are already registered on our forum, just send me a PM (Private Message), so I can enable your user account to access that area.

OR

2) If you haven't registered to this forum yet, just do it now, and send me a short message o the forum introducing yourself, so your new account can be enabled to the Developers area.

laxclipper

Re: We would like to hear your suggestions about a GSX Open API
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 08:51:56 pm »
Hello FSDT,

It would be nice if you could make a ground service crew type of game, where my job would be to service the AI traffic in fsx.

Or a Cargo loading crew :)

I want to be the guy doing the push backs!!!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:49:58 pm »
I'm sorry but, maybe my message wasn't worded clearly enough: this is NOT a post asking to suggestions for new GSX FEATURES, there are many other discussions for that.

This post is meant as a request for 3rd party developers to give their feedback about what they would like to have, as a Programming Interface, to connect THEIR OWN products to GSX. We would like to know what their needs are to make it easy for them to interface their own products with GSX. There are other places to discuss what might be added to GSX or future versions of it.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 04:44:01 pm »
I'm sorry but, maybe my message wasn't worded clearly enough

Was certainly clear enough to me, Umberto.  Hopefully, lots of developers will take advantage of the opportunity.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

NZEddy

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:29:35 am »
Custom pushback tool thing. Like what you guys do with your airports eg KLAX. From this parking to this node.

Pete Dowson

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 02:05:23 am »
- Putting GSX messages on a different screen, perhaps even a different device like a phone or a tablet.

Yes, yes -- this is the area I am very interested in.

With your permission, of course, I'd like to be able to map any support you provide, such as via the SimConnect ClientData system, to FSUIPC controls and/or offsets so that folks have a choice, and can maybe do interesting things via WideFS and/or Lua plug-ins themslves. But my particular initial implementation would be to get the messages and menus and their responses off the FSX screen and onto a client PC, probably on a touch screen on the wall of my cockpit!" ;-)

If you do add-ons for FSX and would like to give your feedback about what you would need to interface with GSX with your application, JOIN that area on our forum this way:
1) If you are already registered on our forum, just send me a PM (Private Message), so I can enable your user account to access that area.

I'm not sure I want to contribute towards your design, as I'm sure you will come up with something better than I could think of -- providing it allows at least the above to be accomplished, and hopefully also the other things you list too, then I'll be happy to implement to it.

Best Regards
Pete
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:07:17 am by Pete Dowson »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 09:36:02 pm »
Yes, yes -- this is the area I am very interested in.

Hello Pete, I've enabled your account to the developers area, we'll continue there.

clintonjohnson9606

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 03:23:59 pm »
Dear Umberto,

I'm not a third-party developer, but I've one of those Saitek X-52 Pro HOTAS systems. Several years ago, someone made a program that allowed FS9 to interface with all of Saitek's HOTAS systems with screens, like the X-52, X-52 Pro, and X-65. Since I finally rid myself of FS9 because I bought an FSX capable Win-7 (x64) desktop, I don't have as many options with my X-52Pro as I once did.

It would be really cool (I don't know much about programming in that fashion) if the Saitek controllers and joysticks with screens could interface with GSX and/or your airports.

I love that GSX is so end-user malleable. I don't know many developers who would take the time to listen to end-users as you do.

Thank you very much for what has turned out to be my FAVORITE add-on for any flight simulator.

Gratefully requested,

Clinton
From the desk of:

Clinton A. Johnson
Nashville, Tennessee
United States of America

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 07:48:50 pm »
It would be really cool (I don't know much about programming in that fashion) if the Saitek controllers and joysticks with screens could interface with GSX and/or your airports.

That should be fairly easy to do: just use the Saitek SST program, and assign the GSX hotkey to one button, and the number keys (which will be valid with any FSX transparent menu, not just GSX) to other buttons.

JamesChams

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 08:11:03 pm »
Virtuali,
Is this opened to strictly 3rd Party payware developers only or can seriously "customer/developers" be included in this? 
If, so, I'm very interested in the following BOLD highlighted areas (along with what Mr. Dowson might be up to) and the inclusion of API calls for use with speech-to-text products like SpeechBuddy.  Awaiting a response & will send you a PM shortly.

As you probably know, ...every user need is different and many 3rd party developers privately contacted me in the past to discuss some way to interface their application with GSX.
...Some example of possible applications that interface with GSX that have been suggested are:

- Controlling GSX using voice command

- Having a Virtual Co-pilot function that will operate GSX on his own

- Using GSX when sharing a cockpit when flying online

These are just examples, but I'm sure other developers might add their own ideas. There's a whole area of possible interactions for sceneries, for example. Our own sceneries use some GSX-exclusive features, maybe other scenery developers would like to use it too, this will increase the value of the scenery to GSX users, and there are many of them...

We had some discussions about how an API might work, but we would like to hear your ideas about it so, we opened a Developers area on this forum.

1) If you are already registered on our forum, just send me a PM (Private Message), so I can enable your user account to access that area....
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 09:03:20 pm »
Is this opened to strictly 3rd Party payware developers only or can seriously "customer/developers" be included in this? 

It's open to any developer, regardless if it's for payware or freeware, provided he's able to code add-ons.

If you agree with my points, so you quoted in bold, that's fine, of course I know those would be useful to have.

But it's best this thread would be opened to developers only, otherwise this would start becoming a "features request" thread, which is not what we want to do here.

JamesChams

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 09:19:40 pm »

It's open to any developer, regardless if it's for payware or freeware, provided he's able to code add-ons.

If you agree with my points, so you quoted in bold, that's fine, of course I know those would be useful to have.

But it's best this thread would be opened to developers only, otherwise this would start becoming a "features request" thread, which is not what we want to do here.
Couldn't agree more with you here; I'll send you a PM with some details.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:25:46 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

nick75

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 04:56:28 am »
Dear Mr. Virtuali,

As the others people talked about combining the GSX with 3rd party developer. I really hope that you'll share the setting for FS2Crew (both Voice and Button Control) to combine with GSX.

FYI, I have sent you PM. I'm waiting for you reply ASAP. Thanks.

A320-Daniel

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 11:47:38 pm »
Hi GSX team,

could you please give me the actual status of the open API? I'd love to write some software to implement it into my own homecockpit.

Many thanks
Daniel

Eduardo Moya

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 03:15:39 pm »
More options in the pushback in this moment this system non functional

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:34:25 pm by virtuali »