Author Topic: XPOI big FPS hit on some places  (Read 5675 times)

Tozzifan

XPOI big FPS hit on some places
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:05:57 am »
Hello,
I've just bought yesterday XPoI, and flawlessly installed and activated

I've tried it with OrbX's New Zealand, with no issues, and over default FSX start flight (Friday Harbor):

in this case I've experienced a huge fps hit: from 70fps to 7, about 45 lost to Geonames, about 15 to Facilities

I've tried to reduce PoI display distance to minimum (through settings), I returned up to 30FPS

did I miss anything?
any other FSX tweak suggestions? (other than unchecking objects from settings)

thanks
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:15:28 am by Tozzifan »
I7-4790 / 1080ti / 32Gb / Creative Fatal1ty / trackIr5 / HOTAS Warthog / 3D vision / OculusCV1 / Saitek Rudder & Trim / CH Quadrant
win7-64 : P3dv44
win10 : P3Dv44 + OculusCV1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: XPOI big FPS hit on some places
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:58:30 am »
in this case I've experienced a huge fps hit: from 70fps to 7, about 45 lost to Geonames, about 15 to Facilities

I've tried to reduce PoI display distance to minimum (through settings), I returned up to 30FPS

did I miss anything?
any other FSX tweak suggestions? (other than unchecking objects from settings)
ì

I don't understand your comment, it sounded as if you found a problem with XPOI. What you are describing it's normal, you had too many POIs displayed, so the fps was low, you acted on the visibility settings and the fps went up, that exactly what is supposed to be happening.

On top of reducing the viewing distance, the most effective way is to turn off POIs categories.

XPOI takes POIs from the internet, the density of data is very different depending on where you are flying. There are places where you can turn every category on, but still have just a few tens of objects displayed. Other places, a single category could display *thousands* of objects. That's the whole point of having a very precise method of turning on/off categories and sub-categories, you should use the settings to adapt to the area you are flying into.

Tozzifan

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:28:52 pm »
I don't understand your comment, it sounded as if you found a problem with XPOI. What you are describing it's normal, you had too many POIs displayed, so the fps was low, you acted on the visibility settings and the fps went up, that exactly what is supposed to be happening.

On top of reducing the viewing distance, the most effective way is to turn off POIs categories.

XPOI takes POIs from the internet, the density of data is very different depending on where you are flying. There are places where you can turn every category on, but still have just a few tens of objects displayed. Other places, a single category could display *thousands* of objects. That's the whole point of having a very precise method of turning on/off categories and sub-categories, you should use the settings to adapt to the area you are flying into.

:) no problem with XPOI, at all

my question was simply about knowing whether, beyond switching off categories, there were any other tweak to cure framerate

please, look from my point of view: passing, after the install and with default settings, from 70 to 7 fps, was a little ............ disorienting  :) (for a less expert user)
I7-4790 / 1080ti / 32Gb / Creative Fatal1ty / trackIr5 / HOTAS Warthog / 3D vision / OculusCV1 / Saitek Rudder & Trim / CH Quadrant
win7-64 : P3dv44
win10 : P3Dv44 + OculusCV1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:46:39 pm »
please, look from my point of view: passing, after the install and with default settings, from 70 to 7 fps, was a little ............ disorienting  :) (for a less expert user)

Yes, of course. But it only depends which area you fly.

I found some places in the US where you can have more than 1000 objects just in the "S" ( Spot, Building, Farm ) category, because they inserted all schools, state buildings, post offices, etc. it's even impressive that FSX *can* display so many objects without crashing...