Author Topic: Lost KORD  (Read 8172 times)

pilotba747

Lost KORD
« on: June 15, 2008, 12:39:30 am »
Hi,

Just loaded up KORD and the airport had gone, no buildings and just basic runways and taxiways. Deleted and uninstalled the airport followed by a reinstall with the same results. Please advise.

Regards

Peter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Lost KORD
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 01:01:41 am »
Do you see the Addon Manager menu ? If not, it might be your antivirus has blocked it.

pilotba747

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 01:33:43 am »
Hi,

Yes addon Manager is there tells me that the product is registered etc, but there is no KORD.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

Peter.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:45:33 am »
All right, if the Addon Manager is there, and says the scenery is active, than you don't need to worry about anything related to registration or activation or antivirus, or software that doesn't run.

This looks more like a simple scenery install issue.

- Have you noticed any kind of error message when installing it ? There are cases when, if the scenery.cfg was *already* corrupted with a syntax error, either due to hand-editing, or to a fault installer coming from another scenery, our installer can't finish copying all files and add the scenery to the library. The installer has already a lot of built-in checks against corrupted scenery.cfg (note: a corrupted scenery.cfg will not create any problem in FS, it's just that the affected area might not display), but it's impossible to check for anything.

If you go to the Scenery Library and don't see any entry for Chicago, then this is the case. If you had errors during install, the best solution is to first fix the scenery.cfg, then reinstall the scenery.

- If you have an entry for KORD, check you don't have a *double* entry for it. This might happen if the user manually edits the scenery.cfg changing the name of the area: this might confuse the uninstaller, and could result in a double entry when reinstalling. Double entries for the same area will make the scenery disappear.

- If it's not anything related to the scenery library, it might be you have reinstalled FS9 and forgot to apply 9.1 update. We haven't tested it, but I'm sure nothing will probably work on 9.0, the scenery will simply not show.

pilotba747

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 12:33:28 pm »
Hi virtuali,

Firstly thank you for you help.

I have checked my scenery config and I have only one entry,

[Area.8897]
Title=OHare
Local=FSdreamteam\OHare
Remote=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=891

I had no error messages on installation, I have not reinstalled FS9 and the version is 9.1. The scenery was there it installed with out any problem. Last night I went to start a flight in KORD and the scenery had just disappeared !!!!!

Hoping for a swift resolution to this problem.

Regards

Peter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 04:01:20 pm »
[Area.8897]

I think this is the issue.

Do you really have 8897 scenery areas ? Probably not (if yes, my compliments to your collection and how you manage to fit all without conflicts), but this number might also be a result of a long story of installations, uninstalls, manual edits, all without reinstalling FS9, and that might result in such an high number. This seems to be the case, because the Layer n. it's just 891, so you have a much more reasonable number of scenery layers. There are probably lots of unused Area numbers.

The Addon Manager needs to find if a specific BGL is really present on the scenery, to activate its features, and to do this, it scans the scenery.cfg at start. However, it was designed to handle up to 2000 areas, which I thought was more enough nobody was able to hit that limit (2000 sceneries is still a lot), until today!

We'll certainly fix it in time for the next update (which should happen in about a week or so).

In the meantime, you can try to change the Area number (don't move the scenery), provided you have a free "slot" below 2000. Any number less than 2000 that hasn't been taken by another scenery will do. Change just the area number, not the Layer number, and it should work.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 04:04:20 pm by virtuali »

pilotba747

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 04:43:05 pm »
Hi virtuali,

Sorry to say that didn't work, is there a way to completely uninstall the scenery and start again fresh as it was there when I originally installed it. Obviously some thing broke the installation at some point and maybe this way I will be able to find out what broke the installation.

Approx my last 100 entries in the scenery config go from being in the mid 800's to starting in the 8 - 9000's.

Regards

Peter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »
Sorry to say that didn't work, is there a way to completely uninstall the scenery and start again fresh as it was there when I originally installed it.

Yes, of course. Using the Control Panel, if you uninstall the scenery, and reply "yes" to the question about removing the Addon Manager, it would be as if the scenery never was there.

However, why would you want to do that ? I don't think the installation went wrong. It's not the installer that has an issue with area numbers > 2000, it's the Addon Manager. If you reinstall it, until you fix your scenery.cfg, the installer will still put a very high number (the installer will look your current highest area number, then will assign that value + 1 for KORD), so you will return again in the same situation you are in now.

As I've said, the best solution should be manually change the Area n. to use a free slot below 2000, and it should work.

pilotba747

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 07:42:23 pm »
Hi virtuali,

Sorry you misunderstood me I, tried re numbering and that didn't work, that is why I thought maybe a reinstall. But as you say I would be left in the same situation any way. Do you have any further suggestions as to how this problem might be fixed?

Regards

Peter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 08:52:58 pm »
Probably FS9 has a problem with such big numbers for areas, and will not work correctly if there are big "holes" in the numbering.

Try this utility:

"Scenery.cfg File Renumberer v2.0"

Found here:
http://www.scenery.org/design_utilities_e.htm

It supposed to be able to automatically renumber all areas in the correct sequence. I never tested it so, I have no idea if it works or not. I *strongly* suggest storing your scenery.cfg in a safe place before using it.

pilotba747

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 12:38:39 pm »
Hi virtuali,

I would like to thank you once again for your help in this matter. Unfortunately I could not get the program you pointed me to to work on my computer, so I have done a manual renumbering of my scenery config and I am pleased to say that I now have KORD back in all it's glory. Thank you again for you help.

Regards

Peter.