Author Topic: FS2004 Default Terminal 2/3 .bgl  (Read 79305 times)

gmcg

Re: FS2004 Default Terminal 2/3 .bgl
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2012, 07:43:17 pm »
What does "patch the .exe" mean? That is the thing I'm stumbling on now.

So my setup is optimum for XP and FS. Good to know. My mobo (P5L-MX) is older. Can it handle windows 7?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:46:43 pm by gmcg »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2012, 11:00:31 am »
Would 3GB (add 1) be better? That would allow all three to go towards OS and FS9 while the other 1GB open slot is for the GPU?

That would be even worse because, in order to enjoy the double channel speed the RAM chips are designed for (DDR2), you have to install chips in pairs. If you install an odd number, the system will run slower so, chances are that 3GB will run slower than 2GB. And, if you use DDR3, it's best to install them in triplets, like 6GB or 12GB being better than 4GB or 8GB.

What is "patching the fs9.exe" mean? I've read that avsim topic before and still have no idea.

FS9 wasn't made to see memory over 2GB, this requires the .EXE being flagged in a specific way. In order to let it see 3GB, you need to patch the FS9.EXE to add that flag. AND, under XP, you need to change the OS BOOT.INI file to allow 3GB. On Windows 7 64 bit, you don't have to modify anything in the OS, but you will still need to patch the FS9.EXE. If using FSX, no need to patch anything.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:19:52 pm by virtuali »

gmcg

« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2012, 04:41:28 pm »
OK I'm just going to wait for Win7...... is there like a "how to" somewhere to patch the .exe?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2012, 05:22:23 pm »
Try this:

Make an archival backup copy of FS9.EXE

`1.) Open My Computer (aka: "Windows Explorer" ...not to be confused with Internet Explorer)
`2.) On the menu bar of that Windows Explorer session started via My Computer, click "View" > "Details" to enable a 2-pane view
`3.) Navigate/browse to the [FS2004 install path] folder (default is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9)
`4.) In the right window pane, locate FS9.EXE, and "select" it with a single left mouse click (filename turns blue if selected)
`5.) Right-click the selected FS9.EXE filename and choose "Copy"
`6.) In the left window pane, "select" the above [FS2004 install path] folder name (folder name turns blue if selected)
`7.) Right-click the selected [FS2004 install path] folder name and choose "Paste"; press {F5} to refresh Explorer's view
`8.) In the right window pane, locate "Copy of FS9.EXE", and "select" it with a single left mouse click
`9.) Right-click the selected "Copy of FS9.EXE" filename and choose "Rename" (name is now "selected' inside a text frame)
10.) Type over the existing file name and use instead a name such as "FS9_EXE_Before_3GB.bak"
11.) Click in any white space outside the text frame to verify the rename was successful
12.) Close the My Computer > Windows Explorer session and return to the Windows Desktop.

Download "Explorer Suite" NTCore Editing Utility

`1.) Download "Explorer Suite" http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php home page)
`2.) Run the downloaded "ExplorerSuite.exe" to install it, accepting all defaults
`3.) Click  Programs > Explorer Suite > "CFF Explorer" to run that utility program ("CFF Explorer VII" window loads)
`4.) In CFF Explorer, click File > Open and browse to the [FS2004 install path] folder

NOTE: Default [FS2004 install path] is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9

`4.) In the right window pane, locate FS9.EXE, and "select" it with a single left mouse click (file name turns blue if selected)
`5.) At the bottom of the CFF Explorer File > Open > "Select File" browse dialog box, click "Open"
`6.) Now back in CFF Explorer, one sees a 2-pane view with a virtual folder tree on the left, a table on the right
`7.) In the left window pane, locate NT Header > File Header and click "File Header" (table on right changes)
`8.) In the right window pane, locate the bottom table row "Characteristics"
`9.) In the far right cell labeled "Click Here", single left click that cell ("Characteristics" checkbox list dialog pops up)
10.) Add a "Check mark" to the check box "App can handle > 2GB address space"; leave all other check boxes unchanged
11.) Click OK, then Exit CFF Explorer.

gmcg

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2012, 12:59:09 am »
Phew...... I'll give it a try when I do upgrade.

So to sum up this 90+ post topic..... I'm prolly not going to be able to get 30 locked at 30 with Windows XP and my current rig?

What is a good FS2004 path in Win7 since you side the default one isn't good?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:32:59 am by gmcg »

gmcg

« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2012, 09:34:27 am »
I'm not picky.... if I get the new CPU (AMD FX-4170 @ 4.2GHz which is said to be able to be overclocked to 4.8 without even breaking a sweat) I should get the FPS up to my standard in those areas with Win XP correct? If so I might just do that for now since it would be a "cheap" fix. A stop gap until I can get the money together for a new rig (a few real world flying jobs have fallen thru over the past few months).

So I understand that Win 7 is a must going forward but I think for the "now" would the new CPU get me those last few frames to hold me over. I'm not looking for 40-50FPS, just 4 or 5 (to get up to 30 in those areas).

Thanks again! I will say I learned a lot about software/hardware over these past few months. I'd just been living in blissful ignorance before  :P

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2012, 01:07:43 pm »
I'm not picky.... if I get the new CPU (AMD FX-4170 @ 4.2GHz which is said to be able to be overclocked to 4.8 without even breaking a sweat) I should get the FPS up to my standard in those areas with Win XP correct? If so I might just do that for now since it would be a "cheap" fix.

A new CPU will surely run better but, if you continue insting using XP, there's the risk the inefficient memory usage with a 32 bit OS and a 1GB video card, might eat up any advantage of the upgrading the CPU.

I don't know why you keep trying dodging the facts, when I presented you plenty of evidence: the one and only "cheap" upgrade is to upgrade the OS. AFTER doing that, you might *consider* upgrading the CPU too.

We don't test anymore anything under Windows XP. We all use Windows 7 x64, and most of our users do that too. And, nobody is really updating drivers and other stuff for XP, modern video cards are all tested and optimized for Windows 7 and bugs are fixed there, also because nobody better than video card makers know how wrong is to use a modern video card with plenty of VRAM with a 32 bit OS. This wasn't an issue when 256MB were the norm and 512MB were "luxury", but it is now, where 1GB is the bare minimum. And that doesn't cut anymore with XP 32 bit.

So, if you want to waste your money on a new CPU without upgrading the OS, do it, but don't say you haven't been warned when you go back here and discover you can't reach your 30 fps goal just the same. And, in any case, I've already proved to you with my comparison screenshots of KORD FS9 vs KORD FSX, that those missing 5 fps could be gained by simply using FSX, which it's a MUCH better fit for your (good) video card.

gmcg

« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2012, 04:13:01 pm »
I'm not "dodging" anything. I'm simply not ready to just trash XP at this moment. A new CPU could go a long way. Plus being logical here.... my card was built during the XP days and so was FSDT KORD. One would assume that they should mesh very well. Its not like FSDT KORD was released last week.

I'm going to try to new CPU while I prep myself for a seamless transition to Win7. Rushing into it serves no purpose. I talked to my computer guys yesterday about Win7 BTW.

What is a good route when installing FS2004 in Win7 since the C:\Program Files is bad. I was also told to run FS in compatibility mode to, does this sound like the correct method?

Once I get all these questions answered, I'll start the process I think.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:44:25 pm by gmcg »

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2012, 05:46:12 pm »
Buying a new CPU will get you absolutely nowhere as long as you insist on running an obsolete OS like Windows XP, Microsoft doesn't even support it with updates any more.  As long as your current hardware will run in 64 bit, which it should if its less than four years old, just installing Windows 7 will make an improvement.  Are your "computer guys" the ones who said run FS in compatibility mode?  If they are, you need some smarter computer guys...
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

gmcg

« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2012, 05:56:56 pm »
No they're not. I got that from the LDS767 site.

BTW, I just had an XP update last week. They keep putting off the cut off date. It was suppose to be 2008 then 2009 then 2010 and so on. I guess it just goes to show how good XP actually is.

If a new CPU won't work, why was I able to go from 21 FPS at gates K3/4 with a 1.83GHz to 25-26FPS (sometimes 28 with minimal settings) in the same area with a 2.93GHz CPU? I'm seriously wondering.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:59:40 pm by gmcg »

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2012, 06:24:42 pm »
You gained a whole four frames, woo hoo!  I had a Pentium 4 running Windows 95 that was faster than 1.83 GHz.   ;D
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

gmcg

« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2012, 09:04:57 pm »
I'd actually gained about 9 before I ran some .cfg tweaks for smoother transitions for the entire game. Lost about 3 frames near K3/4 at that point.

So if I double the GHz again logic would tell me I'd gain another 4 frames. 4 frames would equal my goal of 30 FPS in that area.

I'm not picky  :P
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:14:15 pm by gmcg »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2012, 10:38:07 pm »
No they're not. I got that from the LDS767 site.

That's because their product is not respecting the official guidelines that no software should ever try to write into its own installation folder under C:\Program Files but, instead, it should write only into a user folder like %APPDATA% (all our products are of course fully compliant with this) and, since it's too complex explaining to user how to create custom user permission in order to circumvent this, they say "just run FS9 as Administrator", which is of course not very secure (a rogue Flight sim addon might take control of your entire machine), but it's an easy way out instead of doing the right thing, and fix the product to write into the correct folders, so it will run even with non-Admin users.

BTW, I just had an XP update last week. They keep putting off the cut off date. It was suppose to be 2008 then 2009 then 2010 and so on. I guess it just goes to show how good XP actually is.

No, that only shows that Microsoft still haven't figured it out what OS should be sold to the enterprises. They are still running XP NOT because it's "good", but simply because nobody in large companies save a very small percentage in the creative design business (which mostly use Macs anyway...) has such massive hardware requirements like a Flight sim game with huge amount of RAM and 1GB video cards (you surely don't need that to run MS Office and read emails)

And besides, XP end of life happened in April 2009 for regular customers, and will end April 2014 for enterprise customers that bought extended service contracts. The MS product page for end of life cycles for XP Professional says: "Upgrade to Windows 7 Now"

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?ln=en-gb&c2=1173

You are getting security updates ONLY because MS has to publish them because of the extended paid support for enterprise customers, but that will end too and of course, that you are still getting security updates, doesn't tell anything about the level of support of other things that MATTERS to Flight sim, like better/faster/optimized video card drivers, gaming software that is tested on XP (as I've said, we don't test anymore with XP, and we surely won't do anything in case we'll ever discover something doesn't run on it anymore).

XP WAS good, in 2001, when it was out. But nobody in 2001 would every dreamed of installing more than 4GB on a PC, let alone having mainstream video cards with 1GB, and a 32 bit architecture wasn't seen as being so much limiting as it is today.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2012, 03:12:16 pm »
So if I double the GHz again logic would tell me I'd gain another 4 frames. 4 frames would equal my goal of 30 FPS in that area.

If you double the GHz along with the other advice you've been given but refuse to do, like changing to Windows 7 and patching the executable, you might gain 14 frames instead.

gmcg

« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2012, 05:19:34 pm »
Bruce....

I'm NOT refusing. I'm just NOT ready yet. The new CPU is cheap, would gain me my desired performance, and can simply be used once I DO change to Win7.

Virtuali,

How would I install the LDS767 correctly then (I know this is your forum)? I'm really going to change to Win7 but I want to try to get all the info first that will help with a smooth transition.

My two questions are:
1) What is the best Win7 C:\ path?
2) If I install FS9 correctly, would the LDS767 take care of itself? I might try to just transfer over the FS9 folder like what was in the avsim post.

I'm going to try the new CPU only b/c I know it "should" get me the last few FPS I'm looking for. Then once more money rolls in I can upgrade to Win7 and 16GB RAM.