Author Topic: FS2004 Default Terminal 2/3 .bgl  (Read 79296 times)

gmcg

Re: FS2004 Default Terminal 2/3 .bgl
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 05:26:59 pm »
Yes I was able to get it up to 28 at one point but it wasn't smooth b/c of the refresh rate. I will not do unlimited FPS b/c I get stutters and its a waste of resources.

With my settings back to normal I'm getting 25FPS in those areas (Terminal 2/3 "U"). Any Nvidia ideas? I ask b/c I've done a ton of looking thru other posts and you seem to have a fix all setting (hence why I posted my inspector settings).

So I'm sorry for saying "Fixed"

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 05:50:25 pm »
Yes I was able to get it up to 28 at one point but it wasn't smooth b/c of the refresh rate

If, by "refresh rate", you mean the video refresh, that's not obviously a scenery problem, it would appear anywhere else.

I will not do unlimited FPS b/c I get stutters and its a waste of resources.

No, you should use unlimited fps, and eventually use an external frame rate limiter, this is the most universally accepted solution to get the smoothest flight. And besides, what waste of resources are you referring to, considering you posted a screenshot with your Task Manager showing only 38% of CPU utilization ? It's no use conserving resources when you have plenty of spare, and get bad fps, which is what you'll have by limiting the fps in FS9.

Any Nvidia ideas? I ask b/c I've done a ton of looking thru other posts and you seem to have a fix all setting (hence why I posted my inspector settings).

Other then resetting everything to default and not using tweaks before being sure of what they do, there's not much to try. Just for comparison, how is the fps with the Level-D 767 at DEFAULT O'Hare ?

gmcg

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2012, 06:34:52 pm »
Refresh rate of the monitor is what I'm referring to.

I tried an external limiter and had no joy in making it smooth or getting the "promised" FPS bump in these areas.

As far as the default KORD FPS, I would say its well north of 45+ FPS. I just flew into a default airport and was sitting at about 57-63 FPS in the 2D-panel.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 02:27:08 pm »
I tried an external limiter and had no joy in making it smooth or getting the "promised" FPS bump in these areas.

If you use an external limiter, you won't have any fps bump, if your fps reaches at least 30 fps (but it won't go higher than that).

You should measure the fps in the Unlimited mode WITHOUT a limiter, to check how the sim is *really* performing THEN, eventually, use the external limiter to fix the image tearing and get a constant refresh rate.

As far as the default KORD FPS, I would say its well north of 45+ FPS

Since you said yourself you were able to reach 28 at one point (the "not smooth" wasn't of course the scenery, but the image tearing and that is NOT a scenery issue), that's about the performance impact you would expect using a complex 3rd party addon of one of the largest airports in the world.

If you want to go higher than that, you'll probably have to move to FSX, maybe with a faster PC, but that's has to be tried, I wouldn't be surprised if you had higher fps at KORD on FSX.

gmcg

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 04:21:08 pm »
The tearing was only "part" of the not smooth. We've since fixed the tearing but it is still a little stutery in those areas (when it goes from 30 to 25).

The only way I can get 29/30 (locked) at 30 in those areas is by making the screen really small.
http://imageshack.us/a/img507/908/capture3v.jpg

Compared to normal.
http://imageshack.us/a/img35/4047/capture4oc.jpg

Is there anything in the .bgl that I could remove with an editor or anything like that? I'm sorry if I'm sounding weird at this point but since I've put so much work into this, I'm not going to give up  :P
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:24:50 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 04:29:26 pm »
The tearing was only "part" of the not smooth. We've since fixed the tearing but it is still a little stutery in those areas (when it goes from 30 to 25).

The stuttering it's due because this scenery is very dense, and FS9 doesn't support loading of textures in the background on multi-core system so, loading textures will stop the sim for a very brief moment.

The only way I can get 29/30 (locked) at 30 in those areas is by making the screen really small.

That indicates you are *fill rate* limited, which means it's your video card that is struggling. So, either use less graphic quality (in the nvidia control panel, for example use a less antialiasing mode or none at all), or upgrade to a faster card. When the frame rate goes up by turning down the image size, the problem is always the video card.

Is there anything in the .bgl that I could remove with an editor or anything like that?

The problem is not the scenery. Of course, you might try lowering your Scenery Density slider, because many objects responds to it. If "turning off things" would improve this, it's much easier to use the proper slider, rather than edit the scenery.

gmcg

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 04:47:05 pm »
I already have  one the most powerful graphics card. Nvidia GeFore 9800 GTX+ @ 1GB.

These are my AA settings

What should I change?

I have the slider on dense but when I went to normal I didn't get a noticeable change in FPS. The next lower slider from normal removed all the terminals into vacant lots.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 05:07:07 pm »
That was the scenery complexity slider you moved, you want that dense or higher.  Autogen is the one you change, try that on normal.  Also, check your resolutions... you want to run as high a resolution as your graphics card allows.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

gmcg

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 05:27:11 pm »
Tried Autogen on normal and none.... no changes.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 06:51:44 pm »
I already have  one the most powerful graphics card. Nvidia GeFore 9800 GTX+ @ 1GB.

You might think having the most powerful card in the world ( BTW, the 9800 GTX was one of the most powerful graphics back in 2008, when it was released so, it's a 4.5 years old tech ) but fact that your are getting better fps just by stretching the video size, clearly means the card IS struggling.

Your antialiasing setting clearly shows you haven't followed my advice to turn ALL your video card settings to default, because VCAA 8x 4v4 surely can't be a default setting. As I've said, try to lower your antialiasing settings.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 06:52:42 pm »
Tried Autogen on normal and none.... no changes.

That's to be expected, if the problem are you video card fill rate, Autogen won't change anything, since in FS9 it's almost entirely made with the CPU.

gmcg

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 12:21:44 am »
I followed it before and turned off AA setting and it didn't really do anything. I posted all of my settings so you could see if there is anything else we could try.

Re: 9800GTX
It may be that it was top notch in 2008 but FSDT KORD was released in 2008 (I tested V1 as well yesterday)  ;D

So since you think my card is struggling, what can you recommend? Nvidia Inspector has over clocking. I really want to figure this out and since I think we're now onto something.

gmcg

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 01:42:22 am »
Re-tested everything with default graphics card settings. No FPS change in the area and poor performance in general.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 01:57:14 am »
So since you think my card is struggling, what can you recommend? Nvidia Inspector has over clocking. I really want to figure this out and since I think we're now onto something.

As I've said, if you are getting an increase of fps by simply lowering the window size (I'm basing on YOUR reports), it's nothing related to the scenery, it's your video card that can't keep up with the fill rate.

Since it's not normal, because FS9 is never fill-rate limited, the only possible explanation is another setting which affects fill rate other than antialiasing, which is only the most obvious one, but not the only one.

And, of course, I assuming you are testing with a default airplane. Regardless of what you keep saying, if we are trying to see if FSDT KORD is a problem or not, you should test the SCENERY, not the airplane. So, again, only reports fps using a default airplane, otherwise you are testing your Level-D, which might be interesting, but not the place here.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 01:58:46 am »
It may be that it was top notch in 2008 but FSDT KORD was released in 2008 (I tested V1 as well yesterday)

And always had a good reputation for good fps *considering its size*, back THEN.