Author Topic: Multiplayer Carriers Public Preview  (Read 28673 times)

Orion

Multiplayer Carriers Public Preview
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:27:10 am »
This version is obsolete.  Please see the new thread here.

Multiplayer Carriers Public Preview
By Orion Lyau

Ever flown in multiplayer with AICarriers2r2 and wished the static carrier you set at a waypoint could move?  Wish you could change the date, time or weather, or even the location of a multiplayer mission?  Tired of flying to and from carriers that don't have functional catapults or lights?  Well, if so, then this is the add-on for you.  Multiplayer Carriers takes a new approach to the multiplayer carrier conundrum, and allows you to bypass all the above limitations.

Anyhow, on a much more serious note, this is a project I've been working on for the past few months, and I've reached a point where I feel it's ready for a public pre-release test.  I don't see having time to work on it to get it to where I had intended, but it is fully functional in its current state.

Basically, it's a program similar to AICarriers2r2, but instead gives you predefined locations (really, a vector, as each location has a latitude, longitude and heading (well, not actually a vector, as a vector has a magnitude as well as a direction, but I digress)) and allows you to start at a particular time.  Doing so allows you to collaborate with others to fly carrier ops in multiplayer.  Locations are loaded on startup from a configuration file on the web.  Time is synchronized with a NTP server, and then kept track of using a high precision timer, to ensure the carriers start in sync.  I've also set up an update service - should I push an update out, you will be notified on startup of Multiplayer Carriers.

If there's a particular location you'd really like to see, or a different carrier you'd like to use, just shoot me a message and I'll most likely be able to add it.

Features:
- Multiple locations.
- Fly with friends.
- Fly carrier ops in any session, weather, or time of day.
- On-the-fly updates.

Despite the name, it will work in single player (free flight) as well; however in my opinion, other utilities such as AICarriers2r2 are better suited in this situation.

Usage:
1. Connect to FSX by pressing the "Connect" button.
2. Select your location from the list box on the right.
3. If flying in multiplayer, follow steps 3a and 3b, otherwise, continue to step 4.
3a. Contact your fellow aviators and decide upon a time to set sail.  Set this time in the date time picker.
3b. Ensure the checkbox "Wait for specified time before moving carrier" is selected.  This is crucial for multiplayer sessions.
4. Press the "Create AI" button.  This will create a static carrier in the location you specified in step 2.
5. Press the "Go" button.  If the "wait for specified time before moving carrier" checkbox is selected, the carrier will remain stationary until the specified time.  Otherwise, the carrier will set sail.
6. Enjoy your flight!

Requirements:
- .NET Framework 2.0 (or newer)
- Internet connection
- Flight Simulator X: Acceleration
- SimConnect
- Javier's Nimitz

Visit new thread for download.

Change Logs:

Version 0.1.0.0:
- Initial Release.

Version 0.1.1.0:
- Bug fixes.

Pro-tips / Frequently Asked Questions:

Only use the "Create AI" and "Go" buttons while you are have a flight loaded.  (Obviously only connect while FSX is running.)  All times correspond to your real world local time (never sim time), except when otherwise indicated (one log message displays timestamp received and the selected time in UTC).

Because boat AI is (as always) local, discrepancies can still occur.  Simply put, this program coordinates the time the boat starts moving, allowing for a precisely synchronized multiplayer experience.

Q: What time does everyone need to set in the program?
A: The same real world time as everyone else, corrected for your local time zone.  A good way to verify that you have selected the correct time amongst your friends is to cross check the "DateTimePicker: [time] UTC" message in the log.

Q: When should I begin using the program?
A: It's best to use the program while you already have a flight loaded, and to choose a time close to the present.  Choosing a time further out in the future may drift apart due to imprecise clocks.

Q: Can someone join after a carrier is already moving?
A: No.  If you're midway through a flight and someone new joins, you have to restart my program and start from the beginning.

Q: Why doesn't the HUD track the carrier in multiplayer?
A: If you're using the Sludge/Combat/FSXBA Hornet, this is a known issue with the HUD.  I'm not currently aware of a fix - sorry.

Q: Is it possible to have the PLAT camera or LSO views, as in the SF Carrier 2 multiplayer mission?
A: No.  The custom cameras were implemented as part of the mission system, and are not available in free flight.

Q: Can I refuel?  (This was possible in the multiplayer carrier ops missions by going to the lower deck or the tanker.)
A: Yes, with Jivko Rusev's In-Flight Refueling Gauge.  This freeware gauge works in both multiplayer and free flight (single player).

Q: Can I fly in a location not listed in the listbox?  Or can I use a carrier besides Javier's Nimitz?
A: Yes!  Just send me a message, and I'll most likely be able to add it.

Q: Does this work with the vLSO?
A: I have tested it in free flight (single player), and yes it does.  However, I have not yet tested the two in multiplayer.  If you'd like, try it and get back to me.

Q: Where can I get Javier's Nimitz?
A: Here.

TL;DR: When flying in multiplayer, make sure everyone chooses the same time as everyone else. If you're flying with someone in a different time zone, be sure to correct for that.  All times are local - the one exception is a confirmation message displaying boat start time in UTC.

Naming Conventions:
As of September 2nd, 2012, I've changed the naming of Multiplayer Carriers from pre-release to public preview, hopefully to clarify the intent of the release.  I'm not calling it a beta, as it's not in active development, but it's not a finished release, either.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:37:21 am by Orion »

Johan

Re: Multiplayer Carriers Pre-release
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 02:20:10 am »
Hi Orion,

This is a great step forward, thanks a lot. I love to do my carrier ops in the PNW because of the ORBX scenery, so Everett, Comox, Vancouver would be great.
I will try it out this week.
Thank you,

Johan

Orion

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:49:56 am »
I've added the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the list, starting at 48.21, -123.55 and going at heading 290.  It should be available on the next launch.  Due to the new approach, I can only start from a location and go on one set heading - events must be coordinated between multiple clients, and that's quite a lot of hassle, in addition to the variation caused by the random nature of the FS AI engine.  I've selected this location for it's proximity to the locations you mentioned, and because it can go for quite some time before running aground.

Johan

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:36:12 am »
That sounds very good. I will give it a serious try this week and give you feed back. Thanks Orion.

Johan

SUBS17

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 05:37:30 am »
Awesome work Orion.

neutrino

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 07:04:04 am »
That screenshot is amazing :) And thanks for sharing this!

GOONIE

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:52:31 pm »
Nice work Orion! Does this mean that folks can join a MP session at different times (not all at once), as long as they use this tool and have the same location and time selected? Or does everyone have to get synced up before launching a MP mission still? Does this MP tool come with preloaded views (e.g. LSO, PLAT, airboss) on the MP carrier?

Would be cool to get a weekly session going again, to see if the vLSO is helping us get better in the pattern and groove.

CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Orion

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 06:36:55 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Capt: You are correct: because I'm no longer using the multiplayer mission system, one is not required to wait for people to join the session before clicking "FLY NOW."  However, as you said, you must still select the same location and time before pressing "Go" (and thus, before allowing the carrier to move).  So if you're midway through a flight and someone new joins, you would have to restart my program and start from the beginning.  Also because I'm not using the multiplayer mission system, you no longer have the custom views (e.g. PLAT, LSO, Tower) that existed in my multiplayer missions - I think this is a fair tradeoff in exchange for more flexibility, though.

So, as Capt suggested: Anyone want to go flying? ;)

ruprecht

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 03:05:43 pm »
Orion, this looks great and I will try it out on friday.  Is it possible to configure starting vectors and times in an .ini file that can be shared among session pilots and allow for any location/heading (including, critically, putting the wind down the angled deck)?

Orion

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 05:47:01 pm »
The locations are currently loaded from the web, saving users the trouble of having to create and share them on their own.  Should someone want a specific location/heading, they can ask me to add it, which I'll likely be able to do (or as in the case of Johan's PNW suggestion, use a reasonable alternate).  It is up to the end user to decide the time amongst their friends and set up the multiplayer session so the wind is ideally (or non ideally, if that's your thing) set.  If user requests for locations become too numerous, I may think of an alternate solution for loading the carrier vectors.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:21:39 pm by Orion »

Letourn

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 07:39:26 pm »
Hi Orion,

It looks like a great soft. For locations maybe you can add some Middle East places.

I was wondering if you can add Airplane instead of Boats like adding a Tanker.

I was able to add a Tanker with AIcarrier but it only fly over water and its not seen by JR refueling gauge.

thanks

Orion

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 10:22:49 pm »
If you can suggest any particular body of water, city or airport, I'll see what I can do.  And no, airplanes are not supported (as is the case with AICarriers2r2).
_____

Edit: Version 0.1.1.0 Changelog:
- Bug fixes.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:41:06 pm by Orion »

Johan

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 04:08:00 am »
Orion,

Here is your CVN68_1 (map left) in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, my plane in yellow near her, my other CVN68_2 fleet on the right near Coupeville.
Great work, thanks again.

Johan

Orion

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 06:46:18 am »
Glad you like it. :)

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 08:12:03 am »
Way to go Orion.

This is so awesome.

Thank you. Very much.