Author Topic: No indication of parking aircraft sizes in FSX at some airports  (Read 8711 times)

Jean-claude

As the title implies, when I select an airport, this afternoon it was FSDT KLAX, I did not have any indication such as "Heavy", "Medium", "Small", but only Gate GA small, Gate GA medium etc... Why is that? As a consequence when I selected half hazardly a parking for my MD11, I ended up having no GSX services because this parking was not of an adequate size (according to GSX). How do I obtain the normal menu for the aircraft parking sizes in FSX, some airports have it, some don't, of which many FSDT?
Thank you.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: No indication of parking aircraft sizes in FSX at some airports
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:11:35 pm »
If I remember correctly, the reason everything is flagged as GA is to remove default vehicles from the parking spots.  Those that say GA large should be sufficient for your MD-11.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:12:33 pm »
Already discussed, many times already, parkings are flagged as such, in order to get rid of the default ground vehicles.

Of course, having GSX is exactly the opposite of what you say (you don't know where to park) because GSX obviously knows the wingspan of your airplane and the parking actual radius so, if it's not saying "too small", it means that parking CAN be used for your airplane.

Jean-claude

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 06:52:00 am »
Let me try one more time:
In order to start my flight, I
1/ load the FSX scenery menu,
2/ select KORD,
3/ look for an adequate parking for the MD11,
4/ ALL gates (I emphasize Gates not Parkings) are identified as Ramp GA.
5/ As a consequence I cannot select any of them
6/ or if I do, GSX tells me that it cannot start because my parking is not adequate.

Hence my question: How can I select a proper Heavy Gate at FSDT KORD?

I am aware this was discussed many times (I found the topics and understand the rationale that led to that) but failed to find a clear, short and straightforward answer to my question.
Thank you for your understanding.

Jean-Claude
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:19:45 am by Jean-claude »

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 03:09:49 pm »
Try starting a flight on the active, then taxi off the runway and bring up GSX.  Does it tell you anything is too small for your aircraft?  If it does, select one that isn't, then select warp me there from the follow me menu.  Now you can start your flight from there.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 05:53:53 pm »
4/ ALL gates (I emphasize Gates not Parkings) are identified as Ramp GA.

Nothing strange, made intentionally, already explained why.

5/ As a consequence I cannot select any of them

Surely not, you can select a gate/parking regardless how it's classified. Some developers do the same effect of removing default ground vehicls by flagging all parking spots as "military", that doesn't obviously mean you have to use a military airplane to select them.

6/ or if I do, GSX tells me that it cannot start because my parking is not adequate.

As I've already explained, GSX is NOT telling it's "not adequate", because it's a GA parking, GSX DOES NOT CARE the parking classification, it ONLY reads the RADIUS, comparing against the wingspan of your airplane and, if the wingspan is larger than radius * 2, it will say it's too SMALL, not "not adequate".

hence my question: How can I select a proper Heavy Gate at FSDT KORD?

Simply select one that doesn't say "(too small)" the list. If it doesn't, you can be sure your airplane will fit.

With the PMDG MD-11, at KORD, Terminal 1 Concourse B has almost all the parking spots available, but there are at least a couple in every other Concourse.

I am aware this was discussed many times (I found the topics and understand the rationale that led to that) but failed to find a clear, short and straightforward answer to my question.

All answers were clear, short and straightforward, it's just that you are reasoning with the classification, which doesn't matter at all, instead of simply accepting the one and only explanation, which is only the RADIUS counts.

Jean-claude

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 08:59:44 pm »
I am very sorry but we are playing with words here and it is a waste of time for everybody! Not very pleasant and helpful after having spent more than 300$ with FSDT with FS9 and FSX (yes, I have almost all your products for both platforms if you wish to check)...

To conclude, since there is no possibility to choose a "heavy" gate, one needs to try any gate and - if lucky - GSX will accept it if the radius is correct, that's provided one knows the radius of the gates (Even though I flew in and out of KORD for years I must confess not knowing which ones are for heavies, I use my memory for more useful purposes).

"Simply select one that doesn't say "(too small)" the list. If it doesn't, you can be sure your airplane will fit."
Umberto, there is no mention of "small" in the list, only as I mentioned in my message "Ramp GA" for ALL Gates, that does not say anything about the size, thus my query which I thought was simple indeed.

Enjoy your week-end!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:42:52 pm »
I am very sorry but we are playing with words here and it is a waste of time for everybody!

No, is that you are having your own idea of the very meaning of the "heavy gate", when that is ONLY a label, it doesn't matter at all, not for GSX or for FSX itself.

To conclude, since there is no possibility to choose a "heavy" gate, one needs to try any gate and - if lucky - GSX will accept it if the radius is correct

Please, check better how GSX works, when you select a gate in GSX, you will see a list of ALL available gates and, if they are too small, a "(too small)" indication will appear alongside the menu entry so you KNOW that gate can't be selected BEFORE you select it so no, there's no such thing as selecting in the blind and hoping for the best.

Umberto, there is no mention of "small" in the list, only as I mentioned in my message "Ramp GA" for ALL Gates, that does not say anything about the size, thus my query which I thought was simple indeed.

You are confusing the *FSX* selection list with the *GSX* selection list!! Now I see why you don't understand: we are discussing parking selection using GSX see my first reply here:

having GSX is exactly the opposite of what you say (you don't know where to park) because GSX obviously knows the wingspan of your airplane and the parking actual radius so, if it's not saying "too small", it means that parking CAN be used for your airplane.

Bold indicates the subject of the sentence which is GSX: so we are referring to the parking selection in GSX, not in the FSX "Go to Airport" menu!!! GSX can REPLACE the FSX positioning menu, because it's not used "just" to enable GSX service: have you noted the "Warp me there" option ? That option, as the name says, can be used to simply go to any parking.

The advantage of using GSX to position the airplane, over the default FSX menu are:

- GSX is much faster, because the "Warp me there" option jumps immediately to the desired parking, while the FSX default system re-loads the scenery even if you switch to different parking of the same airport.

- GSX can offer you a much clearer to understand and REALISTIC grouping of parking spots. See my previous example (which should have been even more clear we were referring to the *GSX* menu selection) at KORD, with FSX you have just a long and not easy to use list of gates, while with GSX they are nicely organized as in real world, which at KORD means some Terminals with Concourse names.

- FSX have serious limitations how parking spots are named. For example, it doesn't allow to replicate a situation like at JFK, where there are Terminals named Terminal 1, Terminal 2, Terminal 3, etc. and some of them have two set of gates, like A1, A2, A3, and B1, B2, B3 on the same Terminal. FSX can't do this, while GSX can, so the parking list can be renamed and regrouped exactly like in the real world.

- The GSX list is much easier to navigate, because instead of a long list of all parking spots, they are *grouped* in Terminals or areas, so it's much easier to find a gate, especially with very large airports with 200+ parking spots, in FSX you had to scroll a single long list, which is cumbersome.

- And, finally, which is the WHOLE point of the discussion, with GSX you KNOW if a parking is suitable for your airplane BEFORE selecting it, because it will add "(too small)" to the name in the list, if the parking is too small for the your airplane your are flying in THAT moment. With FSX, you have the lables "Heavy", "Medium", "Small", but they are JUST LABELS, nothing ensures that any parking will be ok for your airplane, because it's perfectly legal in FSX having a parking 15 meters in radius (which is on the Small side of things) but label it as Medium or even Heavy, there's no direct link between the Heavy/Medium/Small label and the actual radius, which is the only thing that really matters.

Which is why, is with FSX that you DON'T KNOW if your airplane will fit a parking (since there's no guarantee that something labeled "Heavy" is REALLY large enough for an Heavy airplane), so it's FSX that is creating exactly the problem you are reporting, and it's GSX which is exactly FIXING IT so, how we label the parkings in the AFCAD, doesn't matter at all, if using GSX, because GSX is offering a faster and more reliable way to position your airplane, than the limited and cumbersome FSX system, and it also allows us to recreate more realistic parking names, overriding the limitations in the FSX system.

Have you NOTICED that, at KLAX, for example, the GSX menu has groups that corresponds exactly to the real Terminal names, so you see "Tom Bradley International Terminal", or "Remove Overnight area" named as such, instead of something anonymous like Terminal A, B, C, etc ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 09:47:23 pm »
In any case, such a long explanation but, in fact, Bruce Hamilton posted a very quick summary on how you are supposed to position your airplane with GSX in his post:

Try starting a flight on the active, then taxi off the runway and bring up GSX.  Does it tell you anything is too small for your aircraft?  If it does, select one that isn't, then select warp me there from the follow me menu.  Now you can start your flight from there.

That's exactly how you are supposed to use GSX: instead of positioning to a gate using the FSX menu, go to the active runway, which is always the first option, so you don't even have to think about it, because it's already pre-selected for you. This will load the airport and, as soon as the scenery appears, call GSX and use its own menu to positon to a gate, which will allow you to use the much easier and more informative GSX menu to select the gate, without losing any time reloading the scenery, since the "Warp me there" option moves the airplane immediately, with no reloading time.

Jean-claude

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 05:02:21 pm »
Thank you this is now very clear indeed, I think we have been going through a series of misunderstandings. Thank you for your time. GSX like all your sceneries are excellent products. As I am new to FSX (but an "old" simmer - in every sense of the word) and GSX I have been struggling quite a bit to get there, but the experience is really outstanding! Enjoy a great week-end.

Jean-Claude