Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1152672 times)

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #1125 on: February 05, 2016, 06:03:34 pm »
I've been MIA from the forum for some time now, but I've been lurking waiting for a new release in 2016. It has certainly been worth the wait!

Congrats and thanks to "the crew" that made this release possible. She's a stunner!  :o

Pops
Pops

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #1126 on: February 06, 2016, 08:22:55 am »
I know you guys have put a lot of time and energy into this project and it definitely shows! I also couldn't be happier that it's freeware. That said...I have some hopefully helpful feedback.

- The nose pitch rate seems excessive for positive G maneuvering. It feels just right for negative G maneuvering. It's not based on anything...just a feeling after doing a few pulls from the pit and from tower/flyby views.

- I never saw vapors during maneuvering. I did at least see wingtip vortices. I also had intermittent burner effects. They popped on briefly for like half of an RPM percent and then disappeared again.

- When I dropped my gear and flaps at the boat the jet trimmed to my CURRENT AOA (4 something) as opposed to 8.1. It's been awhile since I've read the NATOPS but I was under the impression that the jet automatically trimmed to 8.1 when entering PA.

- Onspeed values seemed high for the weight. In the "training" variant with 4500 lbs of gas left my trimmed on-speed speed was about 155. I know the Hornet has slightly higher approach speeds than the Rhino due to the smaller wings but I didn't think it would be THAT much higher. I'll see if I can dig up a value from the NATOPS to verify if needed.

- What keystroke enables/disables ATC?

- Skins are gorgeous. It's a shame the Shrikes are transitioning to Foxtrots as I type this.

- You guys absolutely NAILED the RSRI. Nice!

- Any plans for further TP implementation? I'm pretty stoked with what we already have...only thing I'm missing are NVGs.

Again...amazing work!

Pops

AvgeekJoe

« Reply #1127 on: February 06, 2016, 08:32:32 am »
Quick question: WE got functioning AIM-120s and JDAMs now?

Because if not, that's what's next alongside with fixing vapes please.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1128 on: February 06, 2016, 09:32:38 am »
Hey Gents,

Thanks for the good words and feedback.  Much appreciated.

Mikewmac,

I shot down a couple of aircraft with the A2A gun, but for some reason I haven't yet been able to get the A2A Sidewinders or AMRAAMs to fire, but am still trying to figure out what I might be doing wrong. As a quick check, mid flight I substitued in my VRS F-18E and its A2A Sidewinders and AMRAAMs fired and shot down some pesky aircraft before they could escape.
-Just tested the A2A systems again to make sure something didn't happen to them.  They still work on my end.  Successfully shot down a drone with an AIM-9 at about 3 miles and another drone with an AIM-120 at about 10 miles during my quick tests.  Guns are engaged using the TRIGGER, while the rest are deployed by using the PICKLE button.  Also, please make sure you are using a variant that is armed with these weapons.  Variants such as the CLEAN, TRAINING and BLUE ANGELS will not fire missiles or drop bombs as they are not armed with such.

Pyro,

- The nose pitch rate seems excessive for positive G maneuvering. It feels just right for negative G maneuvering. It's not based on anything...just a feeling after doing a few pulls from the pit and from tower/flyby views.
-I'll take a look into it.  Shouldn't be a hard fix.

- I never saw vapors during maneuvering. I did at least see wingtip vortices. I also had intermittent burner effects. They popped on briefly for like half of an RPM percent and then disappeared again.
-Are you running TacPack while having this issue.  I've noticed in the past that effects tend to be intermittent while running TacPack.  Also keep in mind that effects such as the LEX Vapors and Shock Cone Effects are temperature dependent, meaning that the effects are delayed, the colder the ambient temperature.  Recommend running FSX with TacPack disable for a second or two and see if the vapes appear then (make sure you are in a warm area).

- When I dropped my gear and flaps at the boat the jet trimmed to my CURRENT AOA (4 something) as opposed to 8.1. It's been awhile since I've read the NATOPS but I was under the impression that the jet automatically trimmed to 8.1 when entering PA.
-This is a tricky one here....  I believe the NATOPS does say present to 8.1, and talking to SLUDGE, he noted that the jet initially sets 0.0 on the trim during the transition.  We tried implementing both at one time or another, but both created a very rough transition/handling for the pilot, with he/she really having to fight the FCS until he/she got things trimmed and under control.  What we current implemented is the best we can do at the current time.  Got a few more ideas on implementing this as we speak, though...I'll give them a shot once I get some more time.

- Onspeed values seemed high for the weight. In the "training" variant with 4500 lbs of gas left my trimmed on-speed speed was about 155. I know the Hornet has slightly higher approach speeds than the Rhino due to the smaller wings but I didn't think it would be THAT much higher. I'll see if I can dig up a value from the NATOPS to verify if needed.
-You are absolutely right and my mistake on this.  Another forum member discretely brought the discrepancy to my attention and have now fixed.  Will provide updated link soon.
-Shift + R

- Skins are gorgeous. It's a shame the Shrikes are transitioning to Foxtrots as I type this.
-Thanks!  I'll pass the good words over to BAZZA.  He's put in a lot of work into these textures and they've come out great.  We've actually been talking about creating a additional "texture add-on pack" that will contain a few more textures that he's been working on such as those used by non-US militaries.  I agree with your comment on the Shrikes!

- You guys absolutely NAILED the RSRI. Nice!
-Thanks!

- Any plans for further TP implementation? I'm pretty stoked with what we already have...only thing I'm missing are NVGs.
-TacPack can be painful to implement (well... for slow guys like me anyways...lol).  I am at my wit's end with what we have now and would need help and access to certain source coding that I currently do not have to push any further.  NVGs MIGHT be doable though... I'll look into it when I get a little time.

AvegeekJoe,
Quick question: WE got functioning AIM-120s and JDAMs now?
-AIM-120s ARE already functioning with the latest release.  As for JDAMS, probably not going to happen anytime soon as I do not have the expertise, skill and access to certain source coding to properly implement GPS, visual, and laser designation for weapons like LGBs, Mavericks, JDAMs and JSOWs.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:38:08 am by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

ExNusquam

« Reply #1129 on: February 06, 2016, 08:07:31 pm »
I've been unable to get the A/A sidewinders to lock on to anything, what's the procedure on that?

When selecting Zuni rockets (CTRL+SHIFT+7) the HUD mode defaults to A/A mode. Manually changing it to A/G works.

The CCIP for the A/G weapons seems to indicate impact point for dumb bombs regardless of the weapon selected. Bombs also seem to impact long repeatably; is the HUD using the TacPack provided CCIP values?

I've been able to get a reliable crash by selecting the ACL page with a valid GPS waypoint and "WPT" boxed on the HSI; this might be a bug in the original FSDT hornet avionics and not your problem.

Great work on the update!

mikewmac

« Reply #1130 on: February 06, 2016, 08:59:34 pm »
Hey Gents,

Thanks for the good words and feedback.  Much appreciated.

Mikewmac,

I shot down a couple of aircraft with the A2A gun, but for some reason I haven't yet been able to get the A2A Sidewinders or AMRAAMs to fire, but am still trying to figure out what I might be doing wrong. As a quick check, mid flight I substitued in my VRS F-18E and its A2A Sidewinders and AMRAAMs fired and shot down some pesky aircraft before they could escape.
-Just tested the A2A systems again to make sure something didn't happen to them.  They still work on my end.  Successfully shot down a drone with an AIM-9 at about 3 miles and another drone with an AIM-120 at about 10 miles during my quick tests.  Guns are engaged using the TRIGGER, while the rest are deployed by using the PICKLE button.  Also, please make sure you are using a variant that is armed with these weapons.  Variants such as the CLEAN, TRAINING and BLUE ANGELS will not fire missiles or drop bombs as they are not armed with such.

Jimi,

A fellow on the VRS Forums had had a similar problem with the guns firing and the missiles not firing on another FSX aircraft with TacPack integration and had solved it by reinstalling TacPack, so, since I hadn't yet installed TacPack v1.4.2.7, I installed this latest version and voila, now both the gun and the missiles all fire. I just flew a modern day version of the Marianas Turkey Shoot and both the sidewinders and AMRAAMs fired perfectly and were deadly accurate as I knocked a half dozen or so AI F-18E's out of the sky.  ;D

Both the afterburner and lex vapor effects are still a bit flaky at first when using TacPack, but once they start working they seem to stay working.  ;)

Thanks again to you and your team for a great package.  :)
Mike M.

Orion

« Reply #1131 on: February 06, 2016, 10:15:24 pm »

Here are some additional notes on Automatic Throttle Control:

Some notes on Automatic Throttle Control (ATC):
  • In addition to AUTO_THROTTLE_ARM (Shift+R by default) you can use the ATC button on the hard to click side of the throttle
  • Approach mode and cruise mode are completely independent of powered approach and up and away modes used for the flight controls (conditions below)
  • Approach mode ATC is only engaged with the flap switch in HALF or FULL and the trailing edge flaps extended at least 27°
  • Cruise mode ATC is only engaged with the flap switch in AUTO
  • Approach mode ATC will attempt to hold on speed (8.1 degrees) AoA
  • Cruise mode ATC will hold knots true airspeed
  • Normal disengagement conditions (either mode)
    • Pressing the ATC button or AUTO_THROTTLE_ARM (Shift+R by default)
    • Either throttle position differs from position at which ATC was engaged by more than 10% on the throttle axis
  • Automatic disengagement conditions (approach mode):
    • Flap AUTO up
    • Trailing edge flap deflection less than 27°
    • Weight on wheels
    • FCS reversion to MECH or to DEL in any axis (i.e. spin recovery switch)
    • Left and right throttle positions differ by more than 10% of throttle axis
    • Bank angle exceeds 70°
  • Automatic disengagement conditions (cruise mode):
    • Flaps HALF or FULL
    • FCS reversion to MECH or to DEL in any axis (i.e. spin recovery switch)
    • Left and right throttle positions differ by more than 10% of throttle axis
    • Weight on wheels
  • When either mode is engaged, changing the flap switch between AUTO and HALF or FULL automatically disengages the system.
  • If the system is disengaged for any reason, it remains disengaged until reengagement is initiated by the pilot.

Also an important passage from NATOPS:

Quote from: 8.1.11 ATC Approach Mode Technique
The technique required for an ATC approach mode differs from a manual approach in that all glideslope corrections are made by changing aircraft attitude. Since this technique violates the basic rule that altitude/glideslope is primarily controlled by the throttle, practice is required to use ATC.

Kea

« Reply #1132 on: February 07, 2016, 02:04:01 am »
I'd recently noticed a mistake in some of the textures I've done - namely the right-side intake warning was upside down. I've attempted to correct that and so new texture sets are available for the following:

NSAWC (C and D models) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3Zzc4X29vWkh5QzQ
Royal Canadian Air Force (C and D) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3ckNKX2xuTkNUbTA
Finnish Air Force (C and D) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3SGlSdHZXelFuMzQ
Swiss Air Force (C and D) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3Zk5JdzV6RXpJcmM
Royal Malaysian Air Force (D only) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3NlhXSl9jLXZwSGc

The RAAF textures were unaffected by this glitch (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3V2V0am4wRXV1aUk).

Any problems with these, just sing out, either by PM or here on the forums.

Essex

« Reply #1133 on: February 07, 2016, 04:10:09 am »
-TacPack can be painful to implement (well... for slow guys like me anyways...lol).  I am at my wit's end with what we have now and would need help and access to certain source coding that I currently do not have to push any further.  NVGs MIGHT be doable though... I'll look into it when I get a little time.

It may be of interest that ModelConverterX has been significantly upgraded in recent months.
I don't have TacPack, but I believe new weapons can now be merged into the model and relevant visibility conditions applied, time consuming work however.
Also, I haven't tested it but the pilot's head animation should also now be retained.

Dman

« Reply #1134 on: February 07, 2016, 08:37:36 pm »
Thanks again for this one..
2 questions..

1. I have only gotten the burner effects and LEX vapor on the A/G birds AND only after I ARM the master arm and pull the trigger.. weird..
2. I have a message on top of the screen stating: Hornet FCS Simconnect Exception3: SIMCONNECT_EXCEPTION_UNRECOGNIZED_ID

Thanks again for the continue development of the Legacy Hornet!!

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1135 on: February 07, 2016, 08:56:44 pm »
Eagerly awaiting the latest and greatest!!
Pat☺

Orion

« Reply #1136 on: February 08, 2016, 07:25:28 am »
I have a message on top of the screen stating: Hornet FCS Simconnect Exception3: SIMCONNECT_EXCEPTION_UNRECOGNIZED_ID

What simulator are you using?  Can you go to the add-ons menu (press Alt), click HornetFCS and take a screenshot of the resulting green text bar?

einherz

« Reply #1137 on: February 08, 2016, 11:33:38 am »
hi guys, i have same with simconnect, i think is simconnect version uncompatible(p3d v3.1)
http://4.1m.yt/ERv6tQq.jpg
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:53:22 am by einherz »

Dman

« Reply #1138 on: February 08, 2016, 01:14:47 pm »
Sorry.. it's P3D v 2.5 (the last version 2)

Orion

« Reply #1139 on: February 08, 2016, 11:16:04 pm »
Einherz:

Copy the following text and save it as SimConnect.ini in the C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME HERE\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files folder (the same folder with Logbook.BIN and saved flights).  Replace C:\SOME\PATH\TO\LOG with a path to a folder on your computer before saving the SimConnect.ini file. Make sure Log%03u.txt remains at the end.  Make sure the file is not called SimConnect.ini.txt.

Code: [Select]
[SimConnect]
level=verbose
console=1
RedirectStdOutToConsole=1
OutputDebugString=1
file=C:\SOME\PATH\TO\LOG\Log%03u.txt
file_max_index=9

After making sure the file= line has a valid path and saving the SimConnect.ini file in the Documents\Prepar3D v3 folder, rename the dll.xml and exe.xml files in %appdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 folder, launch the simulator, load the FSXBA Hornet, fly until the error appears, then close the simulator and upload the log file (think it can be an attachment here, or just upload at some site like Pastebin) that was saved in the folder you specified.

Dman:

Copy the following text and save it as SimConnect.ini in the C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME HERE\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files folder (the same folder with Logbook.BIN and saved flights).  Replace C:\SOME\PATH\TO\LOG with a path to a folder on your computer before saving the SimConnect.ini file. Make sure Log%03u.txt remains at the end.  Make sure the file is not called SimConnect.ini.txt.

Code: [Select]
[SimConnect]
level=verbose
console=1
RedirectStdOutToConsole=1
OutputDebugString=1
file=C:\SOME\PATH\TO\LOG\Log%03u.txt
file_max_index=9

After making sure the file= line has a valid path and saving the SimConnect.ini file in the Documents\Prepar3D v3 folder, rename the dll.xml and exe.xml files in %appdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 folder, launch the simulator, load the FSXBA Hornet, fly until the error appears, then close the simulator and upload the log file (think it can be an attachment here, or just upload at some site like Pastebin) that was saved in the folder you specified.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:18:16 pm by Orion »