Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1154329 times)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #900 on: August 19, 2015, 06:42:21 pm »
Clean Version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZQ3RYeTdPdWhrMVE/view?usp=sharing

Whiteside:  Thanks.  Not sure if the HUD is integrated with the TACPAC carriers yet (a work in progress).  Should work for ground based ILS though.  Need you to confirm the following:
-Needles Display option is selected.  This can be done by pressing SHIFT + 2 and clicking on the applicable button.
-Confirm that you are entering the ILS freq in the ILS menu on the Up Front Control Panel.  This can be done by pressing the ILS button first, entering the ILS/TACAN freq and pressing ENT.

Hope this helps.
look like some missunderstud:) i mean only clean version with aggressor's skins, this one i found in your posts:) but for this working i need install all other
thank you

Don't need to install all others, just the Training jet and clean for you.  All files are aliased off of the Training Jet to minimize file size.  If you want clean only, you are going to have to swap some files out and play around with the aircraft CFG for a bit.  But it can be done.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:44:28 pm by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #901 on: August 19, 2015, 09:04:30 pm »
Mr. Exnusquam, I found this in the NATOPS, A1-F18AC-NFM-000, 8.2.5 Before Catapult Hook-Up., III-8-3
The trim settings in figure 8-1 are applicable for HALF flaps only, all
air-to-air stores, air-to-ground stores, clean aircraft, external fuel tanks, gross weights and launch CG
between 17.0 and 27.5% MAC. For normal operation, 15 knots excess end airspeed above minimum is
recommended.
On Jimi's birds, everything is set up for 1/2 flaps for launch, FULL for landing.
If that helps at all.

and it looks like if you use the default endspeed and leave TO trim pushed in for the shot it will work find.
I amusing the Nimitz in AICarriers. The endspeed is 150KIAS (default), the boat is moving at 25Kts. !/2 flaps, TO Trim button pressed and verified once hooked to the Cat. Weight below 43,000. I still can't get it to Hands-Off capture 10°. I have to pull pretty far on the stick to get the nose to come up. I am sure I am doing something wrong, so I'll keep looking. Maybe WOD is too low...

Mr, Whiteside: I think we have found your trouble with the ILS needles and the boats.
I am spawning the Nimitz from Tacpack.
The HUD frequencies I gave are for the Nimitz (and other boats) from "uss_nimitz_ike_version2.zip". Not for the TacPac boats. I couple those boats with AICarriers.NET to get a nice, moving boat to land/launch from (25kts forward speed). I don't think the HUD freqs will work with the TacPac stuff. I may well be wrong though. Bear in mind that moving "things" can't have ILS. The freqs are built into the HUD XMLs for hte boats mentioned, no others.
I am using FSX GOLD EDITION and I have not installed ANY other updates.
I think for all these goodies you need the Acceleration package, but I may be wrong. Maybe Gold include the Accel stuff. I have FSX-SE, which includes all the Service Packs, Gold, Acceleration, the whole nine yards, so that the info I have to work with. If that matters...

Don't need to install all others, just the Training jet and clean for you.  All files are aliased off of the Training Jet to minimize file size.
Except the little Sound.ini error :D That fix has been posted by myself, and others much smarter than I. Easy to do, takes 30 seconds.

Now, time to FLY!
Pat☺

whiteside

« Reply #902 on: August 20, 2015, 12:23:11 am »
Im sorry I didn't explain better. I have Acceleration installed  as well. Are there any other updates I need to install?
What about the C++ stuff? I don't really understand that side of it.

whiteside

« Reply #903 on: August 20, 2015, 03:28:47 am »
OK, I'm working on it! Thanks
I am having trouble getting the Takeoff trim to affect the stabs on the ground and on the CV. I dont see a change when I arm the master arm switches and then turn on pitot heat switch. Anything else required? Love this jet BTW.

Johan

« Reply #904 on: August 20, 2015, 03:41:46 am »
Jimi and team,

Thank you for the new release, the bird has improved so much.
My question is: was there any changes to the HUD compared to the 15.2 version? It recognizes Javier's AC when I put TCN on 57X, but it doesn't recognize SDB CNN Enterprise (CVN65) anymore when I put TCN on 87X.

Johan

ExNusquam

« Reply #905 on: August 20, 2015, 06:55:29 am »
On Jimi's birds, everything is set up for 1/2 flaps for launch, FULL for landing.
If that helps at all.
Thanks for the tip and the NATOPs point out.

I amusing the Nimitz in AICarriers. The endspeed is 150KIAS (default), the boat is moving at 25Kts. !/2 flaps, TO Trim button pressed and verified once hooked to the Cat. Weight below 43,000. I still can't get it to Hands-Off capture 10°. I have to pull pretty far on the stick to get the nose to come up. I am sure I am doing something wrong, so I'll keep looking. Maybe WOD is too low...
I'm seeing about the same, the only "successful" launches with minimum settle are launches using the default endspeed (~190 KIAS) at MAX - this results in a safe climb with minimal settle, but that's mostly because the endspeed is so high. I've been doing all my launches with 27kts WoD.

Jimi/Orion, is it possible for you guys to set the PA Trim to default to 8-10° (The NATOPS says climb attitude should be 10°-12°, with pitch up to 13° initially allowable) after a cat shot?

Spaz: Yeah, I used FRAPS 3.5.99 to record FSX. I've had no issues with that setup. I'm not sure converting to H.264 is the reason either; since Youtube will do that on it's own post upload IIRC, it's just faster to upload in the compressed format. I've put other videos up as an AVI files that are just as clear. Example

PhantomTweak

« Reply #906 on: August 20, 2015, 09:00:57 am »
Thanks for the tip and the NATOPs point out.
Glad I could help a little :D

I'm seeing about the same, the only "successful" launches with minimum settle are launches using the default endspeed (~190 KIAS) at MAX - this results in a safe climb with minimal settle, but that's mostly because the endspeed is so high. I've been doing all my launches with 27kts WoD
Well, at least I'm doing it right, then. Thank you for the verification!

Only two things tonight (it's been a very long, HOT day :P)
1) I've noticed, when doing T&G's at Coupeville, that as I pull back to rotate to launch AOA (about +10°), the nose rises until the end of the nosegear strut travel, then, after a moment, it's as though it come "unstuck".  Like the nose, then the mains, are being held down with suction cups that let go suddenly, as they do. The nose pops up, and I have to relax the pull quickly, then the bird "pops" off the runway. During the first launch of the flight, or during carrier cat shots, it acts normally. Nice easy rotation up to 10°, and it just flies off. No "pops".
This may be perfectly normal and the way it should be, I don't know.
2) Is there a way to add visible landing lights, that actually illuminate the runway? The Landing and Taxi lights illminate fine, but cast no light. I can look at the outside of the plane and see the lights lit up, but when I am sitting, rolling, whatever, there is no illumination on the runway, either from the cockpit or the external views. Or is this something I need to add-on to FSX? I am not capable of buying things like VRS, but if there is a freeware available...? I have tried adding a landing light default to FSX, but nothing. There isn't one in the [Lights] section of the aircraft.cfg. There IS an entry in the [Electrical] section for a circuit for one.
I'm just wondering. It's one of those persnickety little details. Not critical at all, just trying to "perfect" the bird :) The v15.2 and Peter's NH models don't have Landing Lights (visible, yes, that illuminate anything, no), either. Just so you know, not complaining at all. This is an amazingly good plane!  :)
Pat☺

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #907 on: August 20, 2015, 10:25:14 am »
'ExNusquam' Thanks - I do not have the VRS Super Bug NOR have I been able to use FRAPS in Windows 8 so it is all moot at this stage. Very good video BTW to demonstrate the HUD clarity of the VRS SupaBuggy. May I enquire about your video card maker please? I have an AMD card - some 3 years old now but top of the line then. Anyway I have now two great carrier approach videos. BZ!  ;D
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #908 on: August 20, 2015, 02:03:35 pm »
OK, I'm working on it! Thanks
I am having trouble getting the Takeoff trim to affect the stabs on the ground and on the CV. I dont see a change when I arm the master arm switches and then turn on pitot heat switch. Anything else required? Love this jet BTW.

The T/O trim is in a different location for this bird.  It's actually where it's supposed to be.  It is the little button located on the top of the rudder trim dial located on the left side of the cockpit.  As place where it is on the VRS Superbug if you have that.  Click on it to set the T/O trim.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #909 on: August 20, 2015, 08:19:09 pm »
I believe, also, that setting the Master Arm switch to ARM disables the FCS entirely. Or it did in the v15.2 anyway. It's like an ON/OFF switch for the FCS. Or was. I don't know if they took that functionality out for the v15.6.
Just a Head's up...
Pat☺

Azframer

« Reply #910 on: August 20, 2015, 11:12:34 pm »
Well I hate to come here and people think I am complaining when it seems no one is experiencing the same thing I am with this version. Although this one is not doing exactly the same as Peter's NH it is close, Peter's version no matter what I lock in up elevator after I get a over G warning. This one however does it with half flaps. Just giving a heads up on it, I have no clue what would be the cause of it happening, maybe it is my computer if it is not happening to no one else.

Rick

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #911 on: August 21, 2015, 04:53:02 pm »
Hi Azframer,
have you tried narrowing the issue down systematically? In example, temporarily removing code/gauges you suspect to be responsible, like G-Limiters and/or AoA-Limiters from the Pitch_Auto_Trim.xml, and then check if the issue still ocurrs?
Your feedback and comments are welcome! In some rare cases I can experience the issue, too, although not to the extent that you have described.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:59:14 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

Azframer

« Reply #912 on: August 22, 2015, 04:22:22 am »
Peter I had a late day today in town, on top of that I did not get much sleep,I  will give it a run through tomorrow and see what I come up with. I've already found those for the old version of Jimi's Hornet I will be in better shape to find those for yours and Jimi's newest version tomorrow. But I will report back as soon as I find something on it.

Rick

PhantomTweak

« Reply #913 on: August 23, 2015, 09:13:44 am »
I tried and tried, in 1/2 flaps, and FULL flaps, in the training bird with full fuel all the way down to about 4000 lbs, doing full loops on take off, just doing vertical climbs, and 45° climbs, all at several airspeeds. I couldn't get the trim to "stick" in full up as you described Mr. Azframer, sir. I used full deflection on the stick too. No sticking. I'm sorry, I really did try hard to duplicate the conditions you described.

I figured out the "pop" off the runway I was getting. After touchdown I set flaps back to half and the plane just floats off the runway like normal, when I pull back on the stick enough. I didn't read this procedure in any NATOPS manuals, so it must be peculiar to this particular plane, is all. I understand the extra stick deflection required, since I am NOT going to look down and set the pitch trim for T/O! I wonder if there is a button assignment I can use...or maybe use the manual pitch trim to get things set for T/O real fast. Hmmmmm
I did change the Aileron PID numbers in the aircraft.cfg a little bit, but it's much better FOR ME now. I set them to 1.7372,0.0491,0.00. Not a huge change, and it's just as agile, it just took me several tries to roll to a specific angle. It doesn't move so fast I can't react in time to stop it now, like it did before, so I had to wobble back and forth to find the bank angle I wanted, like it was before, even if that angle was 0 :D

EDIT: I did manage to make one teensey-weensey little change for the better, instead of complaining endlessly :D The HUD has been off-center since it came out. Bugged me for some reason. I changed the line in the panel.cfg for the [VCcockpit01] gauge11=FA18_HUD\FA18_HUD_VC_R!FA18_HUD_VC_R, 598, 505, 426, 471. Please note the horizontal position change to 598, and the Width to 426. These changes perfectly center the HUD both in size and position within it's frame. In my display at least. Not a big change, but heck, I do what I can :)

I do really like the ability to manually trim the plane now, too. That's very nice! Both U/A and P/A. It's great :D
That's all I have for today. Thank you very much for such an awesome plane. This thing is amazing!
Pat☺
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:13:57 pm by PhantomTweak »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #914 on: August 24, 2015, 12:10:11 pm »
Gents,

Good progress and good changes around the corner with the next update.  Look forward to the following:

Automatic Throttle Control (ATC):
-Thanks to ORION, got a pretty good ATC system in place.  Can be activated by the Throttle Arm Function or pressing Shift + R.  The letters "ATC" will appear in the lower left side of the HUD once system is active.
-ATC in UA mode will hold whatever speed the aircraft is at upon activation and PA mode will hold whatever AOA that is dialed in while in that mode.
-There are a few conditions in which ATC will automatically disengage.  In these cases the ATC indicator on the HUD will flash for approx. 10 seconds before being removed from the HUD.  Some of these disengagement conditions include:
     -If the throttles are moved a certain distance beyond their initial position upon activation of ATC
     -If the aircraft is rolled beyond 70 deg. Angle of Bank while in PA mode
     -Weight on Wheels
     -If split throttles are sensed
     -PA ATC will disengage if Trailing Edge Flaps (TEF) are less than 27 degs.
     -UA ATC will disengage upon entering PA mode

Trim AOA Indication:
-I tried to better simulate what I saw when I had the opportunity to fly the real Hornet simulators with SLUDGE a few years back in regards to Trimmed AOA indication.  The system is now set to flash in the HUD until aircraft is approx. .3 degs from selected AOA.  Once there, the indication is removed from the HUD display.

PA Control Augmentation:
-Roll authority in PA mode has be reduced in PA mode for better handling in this flight regime

Take Off Trim:
-Takeoff (T/O) trim has been revamped.  New system now sets initial trim to a value of 12 units (per NATOPS).  Aircraft weight and speed are now used as inputs to continually increase the stabilators during takeoff roll until take off is achieved.  System automatically disengages once aircraft is airborne, over 145 KIAS, and when the nose of the aircraft is at 10 degs. or higher.  Carrier T/O Trim uses same function, but with a higher gain for quicker rotation to 10 degs. upon catapult launch.  The launch bar dictates which mode is used.

AOA Indexer Bypass:
-Did my best with the indexer in bypass mode, but as stated before I am having to fight the default gauge that is trying to control those same arrows.  Lights should be a little more steady on and "flicker" versus constantly flashing while in bypass mode.

Textures:
-Big thanks to Barry and the guys over at Groom Lake for the new VFA-94 Mighty Shrikes textures.  I've included them in this release.
-Since the bulk of the overall file size resides in texture files, I will be removing a few less popular textures in an attempt to get the project file size down.

Hopefully I will be releasing the updated version here in the next few days.  Probably going to start utilizing an auto-installer from now on due to the constant number of cfg and texture changes across all variants and the growing file size of the project.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels