Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148866 times)

hd764jvgd843

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #735 on: April 12, 2015, 01:47:36 pm »
Hi Jimi,

after my fruitless excursion with the AOA limiters I have been experimenting with the cg's (empty weight, stations & fuel) and have been somewhat successful in setting up a hornet configuration (.air & .cfg) with RL cg's that seems to be ok, apart from the pitch auto trim behaviour - but that was to be expected.

When moving all cg's (empty weight, stations & fuel) to their RL positions, mostly further backwards, I had to make the following adjustments in order to get to an aircaft that is stable on the runway and in the air:
a) moving cg's backwards makes the stationary plane on the runway pitch its nose down, so nose gear cp's (static and max/static compression needed to be adjusted). Result: stable plane on runway.
b) moving cg's backwards makes aircraft unstable around the yaw axis, so Cn_R (yaw rate) dampening has to be decreased (inverted/negative), and Cn_beta (sideslip) has to be increased in order to compensate (normal/positive) too. Result: stable flight envelope, similar to what it was before.
c) moving cg's backwards negatively effects pitch behaviour, in order to compensate elevator effectiveness needs to be increased. Result: same pitch behaviour as before.

I have done these changes in order to better understand how it all works, so in the future it might be easier to change certain parameters to get to a certain result - to improve flight dynamics.

1) What puzzled me before and now again: Whenever the cg's are moved backwards the stationary model on the runway moves its nose downwards although one (I) might expect the opposite. Do you have an explanation resp. do you understand why it works this way?

2) When I understand NATOPS correctly the FCS will compensate for cg variations due to fuel transfer and weapons release. Since we cannot implement this easily, it seems be the best way move all cg's close together around the longitudinal axis - as you have already done with you current versions. Is there a specific reasoning (some rough calculations) behind it for moving empty_weight cg to -27.0 and all other stations & fuel to -28.5 around the lon. axis. I understand that it has to do with pitch_auto_trim, and that it functions best around the center of the aircraft, but why is that so?

3) When cg's were moved backwards to their RL positions, pitch auto trim kicks in at around 7deg attitude, above that it does not seem to work. I.e. when you pull pull up the nose to 15 or 20deg. - although the g's are below 1.0 the plane will gradually pitch down until it reaches roughly 7deg. attitude and the movement stops. I have tried several changes in the coding, but none seem to effect this behaviour. Do you understand why it behaves this way in combination with the cg's moved backwards?

These are the questions that have been bugging me for the last few days, and I understand they might not be easy to answer, so please take your time - I will be on a short holiday the next two days anyway, where I hope some enlightenment will strike me.

Best regards, Peter
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:58:28 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

Azframer

« Reply #736 on: April 13, 2015, 04:54:46 am »
I love the D model.

Is there a paintkit available?

The paint kit for the D model is the same as the C model it just wraps the model for the D. A clean version always gives a blacked out spot where the Blues Angels US Navy decal is on the Fuselage. So Training version with center line tank and empty pylons is what I am getting now.

Rick

Edit: Shows clean pilots Blue Angels uniform and blacked out ares and threw in a C model using same paint scheme.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:55:14 am by Azframer »

einherz

« Reply #737 on: April 13, 2015, 05:09:34 pm »
hi, disabled autoflaps.dll, but green line stay, but really not often

Jamal

« Reply #738 on: April 13, 2015, 10:49:12 pm »
USMC F-18C Veteran
VMFA-212 & VMFA-321

Heya Tom,
When were you in 321? I was there from 1997-2000, ISMO shop (We fixed your 'puters).

Jamal

Starway

« Reply #739 on: April 14, 2015, 10:14:29 pm »

The paint kit for the D model is the same as the C model it just wraps the model for the D. A clean version always gives a blacked out spot where the Blues Angels US Navy decal is on the Fuselage. So Training version with center line tank and empty pylons is what I am getting now.

Thank you! Found it on page 32.

Kea

« Reply #740 on: April 14, 2015, 10:15:40 pm »
Hi repainters.

I've uploaded a set of templates for my repaints (RAAF, RCAF, Finnish AF and Swiss AF) for those of you who wish to use them as a base for your own repaints. These are the original files from Hani Michal, with unnecessary elements for my repaints removed and my new elements added (so you'll notice a mix of languages in the naming of the layers, but it's pretty easy to figure out). Hani is happy to allow these files to be redistributed in this form and so any further work using these templates have my similar permission to be redistributed for the benefit of other repainters.

These templates have been done in GIMP but exported in psd format (so both PhotoShop and GIMP users can use them). I don't use PS so can't guarantee things like being able to easily manipulate original text boxes (as in GIMP). I have the GIMP xcf files if anyone would prefer them - they are just about twice as large as the psd files so haven't uploaded them yet, but if anyone desperately wants them let me know.

Also some folders may be "missing" texture files - I just haven't included them because they are the same files that you'll find in other subfolders - for instance the file CP_F18_4_T won't be in the 410Sqn or 425Sqn folders for RCAF - just use the one found in the 409Sqn folder. Otherwise if anyone spots any issues, let me know either here on by PM and I'll try to sort it out.

Thanks again Hani for an excellent base set of textures. I hope these templates will be of use to other repainters out there.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3flhKYm9SQ1pYRTdvM2VhNUN3cUY3VVlfcDFRZklwLWNydzBQZnJqQ0dzTG8&usp=sharing

Azframer

« Reply #741 on: April 15, 2015, 04:59:58 am »
I can confirm the old Jasc Paintshop Pro 7 will open them in that format with all layers intact..Thanks KEA

Rick

xmozartx

« Reply #742 on: April 16, 2015, 06:20:52 pm »
i have these black bars that run along the bottom of the DDI's. and block-out the lower PB labels  any idea's?
edit.
forgot to add, that occasionally while in MP and trapping on a Javier carrier. the NWS will no longer work. the HUD will indicate that the function is active. visually in the cockpit you will see the pedals move, externally the rudders move, but no NWS. i found that you have to cycle through the external views and then the NWS will work.
anyone have an idea on these issues i had posted earlier?

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #743 on: April 17, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »
Peter, 

Might not be the answers you are looking for, but here is what I got.
1) What puzzled me before and now again: Whenever the cg's are moved backwards the stationary model on the runway moves its nose downwards although one (I) might expect the opposite. Do you have an explanation resp. do you understand why it works this way?
Not too sure.  If I remember correctly, "point zero" can be set by the developer and may not necessarily be set at the tip of the nose.  If the neutral point is set further down the airframe that may have some bearing on it.  Might want to use some visual tool such as air wrench to help out with this.  The other might be its relation in regards to where all of the other weight as been placed (i.e. fuel, payload weights, etc).  I know with my settings, I tried my best to have all of these weights centered along the Center of Lift.  Mis-aligning those values might create such an issue.

2) When I understand NATOPS correctly the FCS will compensate for cg variations due to fuel transfer and weapons release. Since we cannot implement this easily, it seems be the best way move all cg's close together around the longitudinal axis - as you have already done with you current versions. Is there a specific reasoning (some rough calculations) behind it for moving empty_weight cg to -27.0 and all other stations & fuel to -28.5 around the lon. axis. I understand that it has to do with pitch_auto_trim, and that it functions best around the center of the aircraft, but why is that so?
Honestly, I did more of a trial and error approach to resolve this.  I placed all the weight that I could (i.e. fuel, payloads, etc) all along the same longitudinal point, and adjusted the CG to balance it out.  I would disengage the Pitch Auto Trim, fly level, and make small adjustments to the CG until the aircraft would fly straight & level with minimal changes in pitch with hands off the stick.  Once that was achieved, I re-engaged the Pitch Auto Trim to provide assistance to an already trimmed/balanced aircraft.

3) When cg's were moved backwards to their RL positions, pitch auto trim kicks in at around 7deg attitude, above that it does not seem to work. I.e. when you pull pull up the nose to 15 or 20deg. - although the g's are below 1.0 the plane will gradually pitch down until it reaches roughly 7deg. attitude and the movement stops. I have tried several changes in the coding, but none seem to effect this behaviour. Do you understand why it behaves this way in combination with the cg's moved backwards?
I have had the same issue as well.  If I remember correctly, 7deg is right around where the aircraft transitions from .9G to 1.0G.  The basic logic that I programmed in first called for the aircraft to be trimmed to 1.0 G then re-trimmed for 0 pitch rate.  For some reason, the sim doesn't like running or registering programming is the nose is hands-off "free falling" back to 1.0G.  Theoretically, the nose should slowly creep upwards as it continues to seek 1G until it hangs up near the vertical due to the lack of airspeed.  The impending stall should then trigger nose down trim once 22deg AOA is reached.

I know it's not super helpful, but I hope it helps a little.

Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Ah-Menace

« Reply #744 on: April 19, 2015, 09:38:16 am »
Sup Fellas,
Running through the files before I up load,I did my best with these textures...

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #745 on: April 19, 2015, 02:23:26 pm »
Nice work Ahmenace!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

jc005e

« Reply #747 on: April 27, 2015, 04:56:20 am »
is there a zip file available?

Ah-Menace

« Reply #748 on: April 27, 2015, 12:27:50 pm »
Im not sure if I uploaded the files correctly,if you can't get them can someone explain to me how to do so,or I can send them to an email and that person can do it.

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #749 on: April 27, 2015, 01:25:52 pm »
Hi Ahmenace,

as far as I can tell your upload is working ok, since we can access and download you uploaded files.

I believe what jc005e is hinting at is that in order to give your uploaded textures a try we would have to manually download each file and put it into the respective folder manually. Very tiresome and frustrating!

In order to facilitate access, please zip the folders you intend to upload and then upload these zipped files. Adding some kind of versioning to the zip file name (e.g. 2015-04-27 or v1.0.2.x) also helps to distinguish future versions from one another.

Best regards, Peter
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:35:25 pm by hd764jvgd843 »