Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1153266 times)

einherz

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #705 on: March 30, 2015, 11:26:34 am »
realy stable on the landing now, around 1.8m speed, but stay no work g-limit, i has 17+g:)
g-limit work of sure, but some flight mod allow to got 17+ g ez
some time dancing tailerons to trimm position after go cold+n+dark
it's nice to see relaxed fllaps, tailerons and elerons, but stay reaction of trim or/and ruders and joystick
any way, new prototype is realy good
but stay realy bad night cockpit light(lumination all gear_flaps indicators, and something else)
thank you for work, hope this will very best
ah, wold be realy good if hud will visible only on the hud glass
thank you!

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #706 on: March 30, 2015, 01:20:10 pm »
In regard to the the flipping, is this with your augmented .air/aircraft config files or with the original 15.2 files?  Either case, I'll take a look into it.

Jimi: Backflip behaviour can definitely being triggered with the out of the box 15.2 version. Checked it last night several times and rechecked this morning again, after rebooted PC: positive! Btw, I really would not bug you with unique issues, concerning my own modded air files, without explicitely mentioning and, unless I have confirmed the same issue persists with the current unchanged NH FSXBA version, too. I am usually not that mean! ;)  But you are right to ask.

What I do in order to trigger reproducable backflips: After takeoff full AB applied, gaining speed, plane is level, gear is retracted, flaps are in Auto, altitude sea level (~600-1000ft), barely gaining altitude, approaching speeds of ~380kts, reduce thrust to max. dry thrust (maybe a tad lower), quickly bank hard to ~90 degress, and now at speeds ~400kts, pull full stick and do not let go. Usually I try to keep her at the same altitude doing small corrections with the ailerons with stick fully pulled. As speed decreases and AoA increases she will reach the 22 degrees. Here you can feel, that more elevator is appied by the FCS. The turn will tighten now, and she will reach 30 degrees AoA. If you do not have the right speed, too slow or too little thrust (e.g. 1/2 of max dry thrust) she will be too slow for a backflip (max AoAs stay in the high twenties, below 30) and if you are too fast or apply too much thrust, e.g. AB engaged, you will not reach high enough AoAs, above 30 degrees. When you have the right speed and thrust you can see the AoA transition quickly above 30 deg and beyond 35, when the stall warning will sound shortly before she back flips, if you still apply full stick and do not let go.

These backflips during tight turns can be triggered in numerous variations, the above mentioned variant, I found is the most easy way to consistently reproduce. An other way is e.g. during normal flight with speed ~400kts, if you completely reduce thrust during the beginning of a tight turn (to bleed speed faster), and later when you have turned around ~180deg. from you original flight path, as you feel she is getting slower, in order to avoid getting too slow, apply max dry thrust again (no AB to avoid being pushed out of high AoAs by too much thrust).

I use this routines to check/experiment with how high AoAs I can pull with the plane, a maneuver pilots do in order to get into a position behind the opponent, when they first approach each other head to head. The jet being able to pull higher AoAs and bleeding speed faster will be in the most favorable position - one thing the Hornet was designed for and is very good at.

Thanks for the prototype link! I will have a detailed look later this day and report back.

Best regards, Peter
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:43:11 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #707 on: March 31, 2015, 01:05:35 pm »
Jimi: I had some time to quickly test the prototype version provided, and one can see you are really trying hard to implement a lot of features that have been suggested, much appreciated. It will be definitely a big leap ahead. This weekend, with more time at my hands, I will have a closer look and will try changing/tweaking some PID settings and how they impact flight behaviour.

Another question: Pitch_Auto_Trim.xml - G Limiters
The g limiters have a total weight value of 44000. How is it used to influence g limits? - It seems to be just a threshold/trigger value? - I am not quite sure, what effect it has when the bird has a gross weight above that value.
Asking because of the CS D version which has max loadout ~49,500lbs compared to default NH version of ~42,000lbs.
Would you suggest raising the value in this case to e.g. 50,000 in order to always stay below it, or leave it at 44,000?

Best regards, Peter
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:17:53 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #708 on: March 31, 2015, 02:32:55 pm »
Jimi: I had some time to quickly test the prototype version provided, and one can see you are really trying hard to implement a lot of features that have been suggested, much appreciated. It will be definitely a big leap ahead. This weekend, with more time at my hands, I will have a closer look and will try changing/tweaking some PID settings and how they impact flight behaviour.

Thanks.  Pretty excited about it and big thanks to Orion for his help and patience.  Anticipate more good things.

Another question: Pitch_Auto_Trim.xml - G Limiters
The g limiters have a total weight value of 44000. How is it used to influence g limits? - It seems to be just a threshold/trigger value? - I am not quite sure, what effect it has when the bird has a gross weight above that value.
Asking because of the CS D version which has max loadout ~49,500lbs compared to default NH version of ~42,000lbs.
Would you suggest raising the value in this case to e.g. 50,000 in order to always stay below it, or leave it at 44,000?

According to NATOPS, the Hornet is G limited to 5.5 max at and above 44000lbs.  Below, 7.5 max.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #709 on: March 31, 2015, 03:44:19 pm »
Thanks Jimi for the quick reply, that info helped a lot - and many thanks to Orion, for his support, too!

In the Pitch_Auto_Trim I have created an additional 2.0 G Limiter in order to avoid backflips with weights above 44,000lbs at speeds below 350kts, as a workaround - and it works wonders!

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #710 on: March 31, 2015, 04:46:48 pm »
Interesting....  Glad that it works.  I was kinda hesitant to implements such a thing after hearing that the Hornet has a pretty low cornering speed of around 310 KTAS.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #711 on: March 31, 2015, 05:04:40 pm »
I have set it to 350kts because, with a loadouts above 44,000lbs at speeds of around 400kts, backflips could not be triggered, but at speeds of around 350kts they occurred reproducibly.

I have also noticed that the Elevator Effectiveness, table 341, seems to be asymetric, but in the wrong way. Left leg for pitch down behaviour has higher values than the right leg for pitch upwards. I have adjusted that, also in order to pull higher AoAs I slightly increased the right leg. Table values I use, in case you want to give it a try:

Y:       0.8       0.75       0.75       0.6       1.0       1.08        1.50
X:     -0.262   -0.209    -0.175     0.0      0.175    0.209     0.262
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:12:45 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #712 on: March 31, 2015, 10:56:07 pm »
Hi Jimi,

a few thing I have noticed ironing out these backflips:

- G Limiters: Noticed the settings for yoke/elevator position are set to 90% as a triggers - probably due to NATOPS. This results in breaking g limits in our case. When flying at sea level, 450-500kts and you apply full stick/elevator during a turn, the g limiter kicks in and everything is fine, up to the point when you gradually release stick. The bird, e.g. with max. loadout will transition from limited 5.5g relatively fast up to 7.5g and sometimes even g warning will sound. As you apply more stick again, she will get back into the limited 5.5g zone (working with thrust as suitable, in order to keep speed relatively constant). In order to avoid this behaviour I have changed elevator/yoke position values in g limiter sections. During my tests I found these to give the most reliable and smoothest, although still clearly noticeable results, getting in and out of g limits without breaking them.

- The additional two G Limiters I have added, work as wannabe AOA limiters (20deg. and 35deg. for loadouts above 44000lbs and below), suppressing very effectively backflips during tight turns at slow speeds. I have tested these with the following adjusted Elevator Effectiveness table 341 in the .air file - that allows for higher AoAs during slow speed turns, right to the limit - than compared to the current one in use. It differs only in the next-to-last Y value from the one in the above mentioned post.
Y:       0.8       0.75       0.75       0.6       1.0       1.13        1.50
X:     -0.262   -0.209    -0.175     0.0      0.175    0.209     0.262

As you may notice, I have removed G Force as a trigger value from the additional two G Limiters, because I have found, that it more hinders than helps in certain conditions, as when you are already below that trigger threshold, it won't snap anymore, e.g. protect against backflips.

- One more thing. In order to battle sideslip due to bank angle, I have adjusted the following values in the .air file, with good results. Table 1101 Primary Aerodynamics > Yaw moments:
  - Adjusted Cn_beta - Sideslip from '500' to '-200'. This battles sideslip due to bank angle.
  - Adjusted Cn_R - Yaw Rate from '-500' to '-1500'. This entry dampens induced instability due to inverted sideslip, so the jet does not spin out of control around the yaw axis. A must have in order to work for the before mentioned change.
  - Adjusted Cn_dr - Rudder (control) from '300' to '150'. Max applied rudder seemed much too strong, could lift entire jet effortlessly at slow speeds at 90deg. bank angle, so I reduced it by 1/2.
Overall result: There is still sideslip due to bank angle, which is good, so the flight envelope still looks natural but it is much more controlled than before. You do not have to pull elevator immediately in order to keep her from slipping during a turn, nor have to react with instantaneous rudder input during straight flight.

As usual, I hope this feedback helps in some way.

Best regards, Peter

P.S. I hope to release an updated version of the mod before the weekend, so you can give it a try.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<!-- G LIMITER: 7.5 -->

(L:FCS_ENABLE, enum) 1 ==
(A:G FORCE,G Force) 7.0 &gt; and
(A:AIRSPEED MACH,Mach) 1.8 &lt; and
(A:TOTAL WEIGHT,pounds) 44000 &lt; and
(A:ELEVATOR POSITION, Percent) 1 &gt; and
(A:YOKE Y POSITION, Percent) 1 &gt; and
if{ 1 (&gt;L:G_LIMITER_7.5_ENABLE, enum) } els{ 0 (&gt;L:G_LIMITER_7.5_ENABLE, enum) }
(L:G_LIMITER_7.5_ENABLE, enum) 1 ==
        if{ (A:G FORCE,G Force) 7.5 / (&gt;L:G_LIMIT_RATIO, number) } els{  }
        if{ (L:G_LIMIT_RATIO, number) (A:AIRSPEED TRUE, Knots) * (&gt;L:G_LIMIT_VALUE, number) } els{  }
        if{ 16383 (L:G_LIMIT_VALUE, number) - -0.9 * (&gt;K:AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET) } els{  }
(A:G FORCE,G Force) 7.5 &gt;
        if{ (&gt;K:ELEV_TRIM_DN) } els{  }

<!-- G LIMITER: 5.5 -->

(A:G FORCE,G Force) 5.0 &gt; and
(A:TOTAL WEIGHT,pounds) 44000 &gt; and
if{ 1 (&gt;L:G_LIMITER_5.5_ENABLE, enum) } els{ 0 (&gt;L:G_LIMITER_5.5_ENABLE, enum) }
(L:G_LIMITER_5.5_ENABLE, enum) 1 ==
        if{ (A:G FORCE,G Force) 5.5 / (&gt;L:G_LIMIT_RATIO, number) } els{  }
        if{ (L:G_LIMIT_RATIO, number) 500 * (&gt;L:G_LIMIT_VALUE, number) } els{  }
        if{ 16383 (L:G_LIMIT_VALUE, number) - -0.8 * (&gt;K:ELEVATOR_SET) } els{  }

<!-- G LIMITER: -3.0 -->

(A:G FORCE,G Force) -2.5 &lt; and
(A:ELEVATOR POSITION, Percent) -1 &lt; and
(A:YOKE Y POSITION, Percent) -1 &gt; and
if{ 1 (&gt;L:G_LIMITER_-3.0_ENABLE, enum) } els{ 0 (&gt;L:G_LIMITER_-3.0_ENABLE, enum) }
(L:G_LIMITER_-3.0_ENABLE, enum) 1 ==
        if{ (A:G FORCE,G Force) -3.0 / (&gt;L:G_LIMIT_RATIO, number) } els{  }
        if{ (L:G_LIMIT_RATIO, number) 3000 * (&gt;L:G_LIMIT_VALUE, number) } els{  }
        if{ 16383 (L:G_LIMIT_VALUE, number) - 0.9 * (&gt;K:ELEVATOR_SET) } els{  }

<!-- G LIMITER: 2.0 (suppress backflip: loadout above 44000lbs, speed below 250kts, AOA above 20deg.) -->

(A:AIRSPEED INDICATED,knots) 250 &lt; and
(A:TOTAL WEIGHT,pounds) 44000 &gt; and
(A:INCIDENCE ALPHA,Degrees) 20 &gt; and
(A:SIM ON GROUND, bool) ! and
if{ 1 (&gt;L:G_LIMITER_2.0_ENABLE, enum) } els{ 0 (&gt;L:G_LIMITER_2.0_ENABLE, enum) }
(L:G_LIMITER_2.0_ENABLE, enum) 1 ==
        if{ (A:G FORCE,G Force) 2.0 / (&gt;L:G_LIMIT_RATIO, number) } els{  }

<!-- G LIMITER: 2.0 (suppress backflip: loadout below 44000lbs, speed below 250kts, AOA above 35deg.) -->

(A:AIRSPEED INDICATED,knots) 250 &lt; and
(A:TOTAL WEIGHT,pounds) 44000 &lt; and
(A:INCIDENCE ALPHA,Degrees) 35 &gt; and
(A:SIM ON GROUND, bool) ! and
if{ 1 (&gt;L:G_LIMITER_2.0_ENABLE, enum) } els{ 0 (&gt;L:G_LIMITER_2.0_ENABLE, enum) }
        if{ (A:G FORCE,G Force) 2.0 / (&gt;L:G_LIMIT_RATIO, number) } els{  }

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:19:01 am by hd764jvgd843 »

Kea

« Reply #713 on: April 02, 2015, 02:31:28 am »
New texture folders up on my Drive (going up now).

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3WTZvVUVFOHB1X0U&usp=sharing

There are two zips - one with texture folders for A and C Hornets, the other with texture folders for B and D's. Included textures:

A's and C's:

RAAF 75Sqn (A21-23) - note this is a reworked version of the previous
RAAF 2OCU (A21-28)
RAAF 3Sqn (A21-21)
RAAF 77Sqn (A21-20)

RCAF 409Sqn (188747) - this is also a reworked version
RCAF 410Sqn (188749)
RCAF 425Sqn (188758)

Swiss AF (J-5002) - these are the same as previous with the WEF version included, just "repackaged" - read the readme included in the main zip

Finnish AF (HN-419) - same as the Swiss one

B's and D's:

RAAF 75Sqn (A21-112)
RAAF 2OCU (A21-115)
RAAF 3Sqn (A21-103
RAAF 77Sqn (A21-105)

RCAF 409Sqn (188931) - this is also a reworked version
RCAF 410Sqn (188917)
RCAF 425Sqn (188934)

Swiss AF 11Sqn (J-5232) - Special WEF paint
Swiss AF 13Sqn (J-5234)

Finnish AF 21Sqn (HN-463)
Finnish AF 21Sqn (HN-465) - note this one does not have the serial on the tail, this is deliberate.

Thanks again to Hani Michal for the great base textures used in these repaints.
If anyone spots any glaring mistakes, please let me know so I can correct them. I haven't had a great deal of time to properly check these in the sim, been a bit sidetracked doing some IRIAF repaints for Dino Cattaneo's Tac-packed F-14...

Hope you enjoy!

tuldrich

« Reply #714 on: April 02, 2015, 04:02:14 am »
Hi Jimi, my name is Tom. I've been following this particular forum for long time, and have been flying the v15.2, and such, as released....I like your Hornet alot, and frankly I think your F18C is much easier to fly than the VRS bug. The FSXBA 'Fleet' bird is really a joy to fly and she flies really great behind the boat, which is what I love doing most.

At any rate, I read your recent posts about PID controllers, and wanted to offer some PID tuning advice because I'm a control systems engineer for a major chemical company, and I use PIDs at my work to control manufacturing/industrial processes.

I am going to suggest that you make the 'Kd' derivative term constant a zero (Kd=0), and try to tune the controller, first, this way. Essentially you will be starting with a PI controller. The 'Kd' term deals with the slope of the error as it changes in real-time, and the way some simulation jokers yank around on the control stick (yoke) at high speed, could cause the 'slope' of error to go almost infinite (infinite slope would be analogous to vertical line, +/- 90 degrees). So basically the 'Kd' term in the equation would be eating your lunch, or killing the error correction effects of the PID. Try that.

Next, for the Kp & Ki constants, I suggest starting with small values like: 0.1, or maybe smaller, and work up in small increments. The processes I'm used to dealing with in chemical plant are probably pretty slow processes (liquid levels and flows) compared to flight dynamic processes and parameters. So try starting with small values for the Kp & Ki constants, and working toward larger values.

Also, the Ki constant can get out of hand, because this represents the area under the error curve. So, if you have large error, and have accumulated a lot of error, and have large Ki constant, the PID output will go crazy, and get into oscillating. So work Ki tuning in small increments.

And I'm going to suggest that you tuning Kp & Ki at same time, meaning don't work 'Kp' alone, and try to max it out, then go tune 'Ki' ... Work and tune the two together.

Finally, you need to limit the PID output to "real" maximum and minimum output values, to prevent the output from getting jacked up ... PID output:
P ={0...100}  // range of output

So, if you are writing code to implement the PID algorithm, after your code goes thru steps to calculate the terms for the PID equation, and right before you use the PID output to apply the correction, and before the next iteration of the PID calculation loop, put in code like this example:
IF (P < 0) THEN               // P is PID output variable; If calculations resulted in P, output, being a value less than zero
   P = 0;                        // then limit the output to be no less than 0%, regardless of what the PID equation calculates for the output
ELSEIF (P > 100) THEN    // If output result is greater than 100%
   P = 100;                    // then limit to be 100, and not greater than 100, regardless of what the PID algorithm calculated
ELSE
   P = P;                       // otherwise, just use the calculated result.

Sorry to be so long winded about this, but I know what a pain PID controllers can be to tune. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tom

USMC F-18C Veteran
VMFA-212 & VMFA-321

Here are some videos of your baby behind the boat:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:44:13 am by tuldrich »

Orion

« Reply #715 on: April 02, 2015, 05:01:32 am »
Finally, you need to limit the PID output to "real" maximum and minimum output values, to prevent the output from getting jacked up ... PID output:
P ={0...100}  // range of output

So, if you are writing code to implement the PID algorithm, after your code goes thru steps to calculate the terms for the PID equation, and right before you use the PID output to apply the correction, and before the next iteration of the PID calculation loop, put in code like this example:
IF (P < 0) THEN               // P is PID output variable; If calculations resulted in P, output, being a value less than zero
    P = 0;                         // then limit the output to be no less than 0%, regardless of what the PID equation calculates for the output
ELSEIF (P > 100) THEN    // If output result is greater than 100%
    P = 100;                     // then limit to be 100, and not greater than 100, regardless of what the PID algorithm calculated
ELSE
    P = P;                        // otherwise, just use the calculated result.

That's actually already implemented in the current version of the FCS, except I constrain the values from -100 to 100 rather than 0 to 100, as 0 is neutral for the flight controls.  There's also similar code to mitigate integral windup as well.  Thanks for the feedback!

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #716 on: April 02, 2015, 05:30:06 pm »
Tom,
Thanks for the positive feedback and big thanks for the suggestions in regards to PID tuning.  I will definitely give them a go once I get the opportunity.

I see "USMC" down there in your sig block.  Thanks for your service and sacrifice.

Respectfully,
Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #717 on: April 02, 2015, 06:05:49 pm »
Thanks for the great video Tom 'tuldrich' - it is a keeper. Great to see a visual circuit done so well - music is a bonus.  ;D
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

jc005e

« Reply #718 on: April 02, 2015, 06:52:59 pm »
heres a little video i made promoting more people to get the f-18C/D

&feature=youtu.be

einherz

« Reply #719 on: April 02, 2015, 09:09:31 pm »
hi, it's me again:)
what thats mean?