Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1153642 times)

Kea

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #615 on: January 29, 2015, 02:23:44 am »
Hi everyone.
Since Hani Michal made his excellent paint kit available, I've been tinkering with some repaints for the Finnish Air Force, Royal Australian Air Force and Royal Canadian Air Force. So far I've completed a "clean" and "weathered" repaint for the following:

Finnish Air Force HN-419 (11Sqn - I think!?!)
Royal Australian Air Force A21-23 (75Sqn)

I've only done one "weathered" repaint for Royal Canadian Air Force 188747 (409Sqn) as the RCAF repaint has given me the most headaches trying to complete. Preview images below, along with link to Google Drive folder containing all three zips. Let me know if the link doesn't work, first time doing all this!

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way a professional repainter like Hani Michal, Joe Laars or Zsolt or any of those other guys, these are my best efforts based on various internet images as I have no first-hand knowledge of any of these aircraft. I've used GIMP for the repainting and it's been an interesting experience. These are all "version 1" repaints, I know there are a couple of things to fix which I will try to do in time, but no guarantees. Any glaring mistakes, please let me know for any future tweaking.

Otherwise I hope these bring some happiness to the non-US Hornet flyers out there...

FAF "clean"

FAF "weathered"

RAAF "clean"

RAAF "weathered"

RCAF

Download link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3WTZvVUVFOHB1X0U&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:41:55 am by Kea »

dreaminsight

Re: R: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #616 on: January 29, 2015, 05:34:27 pm »
Sorry. Where to get the paintkit?:P

Azframer

Re: R: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #617 on: January 29, 2015, 07:03:47 pm »
Sorry. Where to get the paintkit?:P
Page 32 of this thread, put out by Hanimichal.
Edit:
I hope you are able to work with layer with your paint program, you will need to.
3rd post from the bottom
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.465.html
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:12:29 pm by Azframer »

Archi

« Reply #618 on: January 29, 2015, 10:20:22 pm »
Thank you Kea!  :)

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #619 on: January 29, 2015, 11:59:32 pm »
Thanks for your work Kea, much appreciated and no DISCLAIMER necessary. I will integrate those into NH texture pack.

Peter

Azframer

« Reply #620 on: January 30, 2015, 08:02:44 am »
Okay the Splinter texture for the D model is done it can be downloaded here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwewfJA2c4UsRDYyMjMxaXJCd1U/view?usp=sharing

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #621 on: January 30, 2015, 03:57:09 pm »
Hello Jimi / Orion,

I'd like to report an issue with the 15.2 version. Odd pitching behaviour resulting in being able to pull a backflip at low altitude at slow speed at medium to max dry thrust.

How to reproduce behaviour:
Select a random 15.2 version texture and put simulator into 'pause' mode, now change and switch between different loadouts and textures while staying in 'pause' mode. Also change the points of view, like one would to developing and testing new textures. Do this changing routine around 10 times or so, to be save. In order to trigger the odd behaviour sometimes changing 3-4 times was sufficient, sometimes much more were needed. When you finally resume/release the 'pause' mode you will notice the aircraft is resetting on the ground and that the elevators will be facing slightly downward (like pushing negative g without touching the handles). If the elevators are not perfectly leveled it means the described effect can be triggered. Releasing parking breakes and gain speed at full thrust, when around 180 kts and you pull the aircraft up from the runway, it suddenly does backflips like crazy (rotating around its own axis) and remains in the air with or without thrust for a while until after a short while it will finally crash.

I have never noticed this behaviour before during texture development, before the Autoflaps.dll was being introduced. It looks to me like some sort of buffer overflow could be the case or the dll not being properly reset somehow - just guessing.

An other variation of this odd pitching / backflip behaviour is occuring when one flies around the tower (tower view) and changes the loadouts and textures while in flight (WITHOUT putting the simulator into 'pause' mode). Do this changing routine between 5 - 10 times and you will notice that the AoAs your are being able to pull at full stick with max. dry thrust while flying circles around the tower will increase by the time until you will be able to do a backflip like maneuver by just pulling full stick at around 50 degrees bank angle, trying to turn the plane around. Pitching seems to become more and more sensitive somehow.

Best regards, Peter

P.S. I hope my explanations somehow help you narrowing the error down.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:07:23 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

Orion

« Reply #622 on: January 30, 2015, 10:29:09 pm »
I don't know what would change after resetting so many times.  The gauge should be loaded and unloaded completely by the simulator each time, which means there shouldn't be a difference when changing aircraft.  All the gauge's dynamically allocated memory should get deleted when FSX unloads the gauge, and at worst it would only cause a memory leak, not erratic flight behavior.  The gauge should have no effect on the elevator; it only sets four flap variables (TRAILING EDGE FLAPS LEFT PERCENT, TRAILING EDGE FLAPS RIGHT PERCENT, LEADING EDGE FLAPS LEFT PERCENT, LEADING EDGE FLAPS RIGHT PERCENT).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:31:36 pm by Orion »

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #623 on: January 30, 2015, 11:38:09 pm »
Thanks for clarifying, Orion, maybe it is just coincidence, resulting from something different. Are you being able to reproduce the odd behaviour? You may have to try a few times.

Best regards, Peter
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:42:53 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #624 on: January 31, 2015, 03:29:19 pm »
The only other thing I can think of is the pitch auto trim gauge.  There is not function for it to pause upon sim pause, so when you pause the sim, the gauge will keep cranking up or down the trim until it maxes out over a little bit of time.  Once you un-pause, the trim will still be maxed out until you move the stick up or down and give the gauge a chance to reset the pitch trim.  Another thing I notice is the FSX will get "funky" after so many resets.  Testing these gauges requires me to reload the aircraft A LOT.  After so many times, certain things will fail to load correctly and I have to shut down and restart the sim.  Usually indicated for me on the engine data display on the MFD.  All engine parameters read "0" although the engines are on and functional.

Excellent work on the textures.  Going to check them out now.  Any issues with me including them in the next release?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:45:16 pm by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #625 on: January 31, 2015, 04:40:53 pm »
Thanks for clarifying, Jimi. Have you changed anything significant within the last releases 14.18 and/or 15.2 that could cause pitch auto trim gauge to trigger such odd behaviour?

In the past I have paused and unpaused the sim for texture development and reloaded the aircraft many times, but never experienced such a behaviour that led to a completely unrecoverable flight situation, where stick input seemed to be either completely ignored or being overcompensated. I remember that releasing the aircraft from pause after many reloads caused the aircraft to do a momentary pitch up or down sometimes, so you had to manually correct through stick input to regain a leveled flight, but these were minor corrections, nothing big, and the plane never spun out of control.

Just guessing now: May you have replaced some linear dampening functions with exponential ones, that being 'paused' and missing feedback diverge into such high numbers that once being 'unpaused' will ineavitably lead to unrecoverable flight situations?

Best regards, Peter
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:56:12 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

Azframer

« Reply #626 on: January 31, 2015, 08:22:08 pm »
Excellent work on the textures.  Going to check them out now.  Any issues with me including them in the next release?

Fine with me Jimi I regretfully did not include a thumnail though I posted it in this comment can download it here. I was thinking about doing a version for the C model.

Kea

« Reply #627 on: February 01, 2015, 06:09:12 am »
Yeah no worries Jimi, but I'm not overly happy with the RCAF texture, especially the false cockpit around the nosewheel area. I plan to fix it soon but if you're happy then go for it.

Kea

« Reply #628 on: February 06, 2015, 05:38:15 am »
Updated RAAF and RCAF textures (v2) on the Drive. FAF texture remains the same.
Fixed (as best I could) the false canopy on the RCAF version and tweaked the colouring - it was too purplish in my opinion. Some other minor tweaks also.
Minor tweaks to RAAF texture, including a lighter drop tank.
Jimi - happy for these ones to be included in your next release!
Might try a Swiss one next, or add new serials/squadrons to the existing ones...?

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3WTZvVUVFOHB1X0U&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:44:49 am by Kea »

Kea

« Reply #629 on: February 06, 2015, 09:50:25 am »
Swiss AF texture now up, follow link in the post above and you should see it with the others.
Two paints for aircraft J-5002 from Fliegerstaffel 11:

Normal "clean" (the Swiss seem to keep their Hornets generally quite clean!)

Special World Economic Forum NFZ paint - some aircraft were painted with the emergency freq of 121.50MHz on their centreline tanks

Again, any incorrect details or glaring mistakes, please let me know so I can continue to improve these paints.