Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148566 times)

hd764jvgd843

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #480 on: November 08, 2014, 12:58:34 am »
Hello Jimi,

browsing through the aircraft.cfg I just noted in the [lights] section an effect called 'fx_fuselage_light_Dante' but I could not find it anywhere in the local folders, neither in any of the downloads provided.

I noticed an odd behavior when enabling and disabling the wingflex effect. I could be disable for all models A-A, A-Gs, and Clean, except the Training model. I even renamed the Wingflex.xml, but the effect was still present. Could it be hardcoded somewhere directly in the model file?

Best regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:22:52 am by hd764jvgd843 »

Hanimichal

• Hani Michal FSX add-ons
« Reply #481 on: November 08, 2014, 02:23:02 am »
Thanks for sharing the paint kit Hanimichal, it is really great!

I dug up my old CorelDraw and had a look at the files. It will get some time to get used to working with all those layers - at least for me! It took me a while to get to know my way around the textures for the fsx and CS models, right now I am fairly confident, although my work is not nearly as detailed and sophisticated as the paint kit you have provided. But I will definitely give it a try in my future textures for Jimi's New Hornet models.

Best regards

Peter

I messed up the name product, is Corel PHOTO-PAINT, it come with corel DRAW.
And exactly I use the corel-DRAW in very limited scale, and the Corel PHOTO-PAINT to do 95% of all other things in the airplane skins

Victory103

« Reply #482 on: November 08, 2014, 01:45:46 pm »
1st FCF complete on 14.14 build, no mention in previous posts on over-corrections by the autorudder, anyone else have this issue? Straight and level 1g flight, not sure if it is upper level winds d/l from FSrealWX-lite or what. FSX Realism "general" setting full right, "autorudder" unchecked. Shft+4 status shows autorudder on for the FCS I assume? FCS is making full generally left rudder inputs regardless of airspeed or AoA.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #483 on: November 08, 2014, 02:48:37 pm »
1st FCF complete on 14.14 build, no mention in previous posts on over-corrections by the autorudder, anyone else have this issue? Straight and level 1g flight, not sure if it is upper level winds d/l from FSrealWX-lite or what. FSX Realism "general" setting full right, "autorudder" unchecked. Shft+4 status shows autorudder on for the FCS I assume? FCS is making full generally left rudder inputs regardless of airspeed or AoA.

Hey Victory, yes I noticed the same thing this week with the autorudder. I've been working on this and believe I have a solution. Got to do a little more testing. I will report back and post an update tomorrow or Monday.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #484 on: November 09, 2014, 08:14:21 pm »
Hello Jimi,

I have adjusted the plane's specular maps, weapons textures and weapons specular maps, so the sunlight is not being reflected that much and the overall look is more tarnished, which I think looks more realistic.
- New_FSXBA_FA-18_Hornet_patch3: http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/75271222/file.html

Concerning the dihedral/anhedral topic I took some more detailed looks at pictures and airshow videos and realized that due to the point of view and different flaps positions it sometimes seems as if the wings were almost level but they are not. I found some very good pictures from where you can actually deduce the actual anhedral of -2.5 degrees (slow speed, no g load). During high g turns the entire wing flexes and not only the outer part - as much as +2.5 degrees (anhedral becoming dihedral). See video.
-
(right at the beginning at 0:04 you can see the extreme flexing of the entire wing under high g load)
- http://www.bullshift.net/data/images/2013/11/mcdonnell-douglas-fa-18-hornet-aircraft.jpg (realistic anhedral in flight, slow and no g load, resembles that on the ground, see next link)
- http://cdn.superbwallpapers.com/wallpapers/aircraft/mcdonnell-douglas-fa-18-hornet-34304-1920x1080.jpg (anhedral on the ground)
- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/US_Navy_031025-N-6536T-004_An_F-A-18_Hornet_assigned_to_the_Mighty_Shrikes_Strike_Fighter_Squadron_Nine_Four_%28VFA-94%29_in-flight_over_the_Western_Pacific_Ocean._The_Nimitz_Carrier_Strike_Force_and_Carrier_Air_Wing_Eleven_%28CVW-1.jpg (wing appears to have a dihedral due to flaps positions)

In order to model flight dynamics correctly a compromise would be something in between, although I would emphasize normal flight conditions over extreme ones, so I would suggest a slightly reduced anhedral of -1.5 degrees would be something to live with.
The model, as shown, does not have enough anhedral being displayed, for the wings seem almost to be leveled out, maybe you can put this on a 'to do list' for later. It would be nice if the visual wingflex would effect the whole wing and not just the outer part, too.

I hope I don't bore you with all this feedback and suggestions.

Best regards,

Peter

P.S. Could you provide some information what software/tools (AutoCAD, FreeCAD, google Sketchup,...) would be needed to work on the model and make some of the suggested small changes. Years back during my university time I have had some AutoCAD experiences, and I should know my way around to make at least some small changes. Would you be willing to provide the model to work with?

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #485 on: November 10, 2014, 07:16:58 pm »
Hello Jimi,

I have adjusted the plane's specular maps, weapons textures and weapons specular maps, so the sunlight is not being reflected that much and the overall look is more tarnished, which I think looks more realistic.
- New_FSXBA_FA-18_Hornet_patch3: http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/75271222/file.html

Concerning the dihedral/anhedral topic I took some more detailed looks at pictures and airshow videos and realized that due to the point of view and different flaps positions it sometimes seems as if the wings were almost level but they are not. I found some very good pictures from where you can actually deduce the actual anhedral of -2.5 degrees (slow speed, no g load). During high g turns the entire wing flexes and not only the outer part - as much as +2.5 degrees (anhedral becoming dihedral). See video.
-
(right at the beginning at 0:04 you can see the extreme flexing of the entire wing under high g load)
- http://www.bullshift.net/data/images/2013/11/mcdonnell-douglas-fa-18-hornet-aircraft.jpg (realistic anhedral in flight, slow and no g load, resembles that on the ground, see next link)
- http://cdn.superbwallpapers.com/wallpapers/aircraft/mcdonnell-douglas-fa-18-hornet-34304-1920x1080.jpg (anhedral on the ground)
- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/US_Navy_031025-N-6536T-004_An_F-A-18_Hornet_assigned_to_the_Mighty_Shrikes_Strike_Fighter_Squadron_Nine_Four_%28VFA-94%29_in-flight_over_the_Western_Pacific_Ocean._The_Nimitz_Carrier_Strike_Force_and_Carrier_Air_Wing_Eleven_%28CVW-1.jpg (wing appears to have a dihedral due to flaps positions)

In order to model flight dynamics correctly a compromise would be something in between, although I would emphasize normal flight conditions over extreme ones, so I would suggest a slightly reduced anhedral of -1.5 degrees would be something to live with.
The model, as shown, does not have enough anhedral being displayed, for the wings seem almost to be leveled out, maybe you can put this on a 'to do list' for later. It would be nice if the visual wingflex would effect the whole wing and not just the outer part, too.

I hope I don't bore you with all this feedback and suggestions.

Best regards,

Peter

P.S. Could you provide some information what software/tools (AutoCAD, FreeCAD, google Sketchup,...) would be needed to work on the model and make some of the suggested small changes. Years back during my university time I have had some AutoCAD experiences, and I should know my way around to make at least some small changes. Would you be willing to provide the model to work with?

Although I changed the dihedral to -1.5, didn't really notice much difference in terms of flight performance.  Again, I have to stress here, my goal is to match the flight characteristics that the FCS gives the aircraft.  Simply matching aircraft numbers in the aircraft.cfg will to directly translate to a more "realistic" flying aircraft.  If the Hornet did not have an FCS controlling the flight logic and performance of the aircraft, then these inputs would be a direct contribution to replicating the performance of the aircraft. 

Initially we tried to flex the entire wing but ran into a few complications in the process.  So we just stuck to flexing just the tip. 

Thanks for adjusting the textures and specular maps on the weapons.  They look good!

You definitely don't "bore" me with the feedback.  I value it.  Thanks for taking the time and energy with this project.  It is always welcomed.

As far as software/tools, I believe SPINS used 3D Max to make the model.  I do not have the source files for the jet, can as far as I know, it is impossible to get them now.  This means you most likely will have to de-compile the 3D model and reconstruct there.  Doing so takes out A LOT of things that you would have to redo such as reanimation of switches, control surfaces, and texture remaping. 

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #486 on: November 10, 2014, 09:02:21 pm »
Gents,

Fleet Version 14.15. Update:

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZTEhOSml5SmF5MFk/view?usp=sharing

Updates the following:

-Updated Auto Rudder
-Anhedral re-adjusted to 1.5 (-1.5 for your dihedral types)
-Included Peter's weapons textures and maps
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:06:20 pm by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #487 on: November 10, 2014, 09:54:46 pm »
Hello Jimi,

would you be willing trying to contact SPINS and ask him politely if he could fix a few issues we stumbled upon with the model:
- adjusting wing anhedral (slightly increased) and
- fixing the pilot heard/hair issues with c version models in clean/BA and trainer configurations
would be very nice. In case he is willing to do some more work and improve the model even further something like the following items would be nice:
- fixing the 'blue' canopy issues with the d version model
- creating similar d models for the same c version loadouts: A-A, A-G's, Clean/BA, and trainer configurations
- maybe some other A-A and A-G loadout variations, one with 2 and one with 3 tanks, for c and d versions.

Flexing the whole wing, you would have to flex the flaps in all the various positions dynamically during the flight. I assume this is what may have caused issues, and would have put a huge toll on fps, too.

Matching the flight characteristics in the FCS for a changing anhedral, I believe you would have to create another gauge with different anhedral/dihedral values for different g loads present during flight. I must confess that I have had that idea, too, but dismissed it - maybe too early - because I am not a programmer and I wouldn't know where to start with. But, if you like, I could work on a table for different anhedral values vs. g loads present, which could be programmed into a gauge (assumed the g loads calculated and shown in the gauge are correct, we could work with these numbers).

Thanks for fixing the Auto Rudder. I haven't really noticed, because I usually fly without it, but I will give it a try.

Peter

P.S. The link you have provided for 14.15 does not seem to work.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:32:35 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

Snake

« Reply #488 on: November 10, 2014, 10:14:37 pm »
Nothing to test fly on that link. Am i missing something?

Jamal

« Reply #489 on: November 10, 2014, 11:03:03 pm »
Hello Jimi,

would you be willing trying to contact SPINS and ask him politely if he could fix a few issues we stumbled upon with the model:
- adjusting wing anhedral (slightly increased) and
- fixing the pilot heard/hair issues with c version models in clean/BA and trainer configurations
would be very nice. In case he is willing to do some more work and improve the model even further something like the following items would be nice:
- fixing the 'blue' canopy issues with the d version model
- creating similar d models for the same c version loadouts: A-A, A-G's, Clean/BA, and trainer configurations
- maybe some other A-A and A-G loadout variations, one with 2 and one with 3 tanks, for c and d versions.

Flexing the whole wing, you would have to flex the flaps in all the various positions dynamically during the flight. I assume this is what may have caused issues, and would have put a huge toll on fps, too.

Matching the flight characteristics in the FCS for a changing anhedral, I believe you would have to create another gauge with different anhedral/dihedral values for different g loads present during flight. I must confess that I have had that idea, too, but dismissed it - maybe too early - because I am not a programmer and I wouldn't know where to start with. But, if you like, I could work on a table for different anhedral values vs. g loads present, which could be programmed into a gauge (assumed the g loads calculated and shown in the gauge are correct, we could work with these numbers).

Thanks for fixing the Auto Rudder. I haven't really noticed, because I usually fly without it, but I will give it a try.

Peter

P.S. The link you have provided for 14.15 does not seem to work.

Yeah, I deleted the model quite awhile ago. Sorry man.

Jamal "Spins"

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #490 on: November 10, 2014, 11:06:53 pm »
Nothing to test fly on that link. Am i missing something?

Sound work now.  Sorry about that.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #491 on: November 11, 2014, 12:06:06 am »
Hello Jamal,

thanks for the quick reply. If I understand Jimi correctly, importing the model itself does not seem to be the problem, but recreating the functionality (control surfaces and switches) and retexturing it.

I have opened various fsx models with ModelConverterX, but I do not yet have any software to import these into. I will try to get my hands on a trial version, have a look at the models and then decide what to do.

Could you provide some more information please, concerning:
- How long did you work on this project altogether (weeks/months?, how many hours did you put into it - an estimate?, what work did take the most time?, what were the most difficult tasks to accomplish - in your opinion?)
- Did you start from scratch or did you have a model to start with? (if so, which one did you use?)
- Do you have any other data or information left that could help us modifying the model, or make certain changes to it, without having to decompile and reconstruct? (fixing the blue canopy issue for the d version model, or correcting the the pilot helmet/head issues? or, is it impossible without having to decompile and reconstruct?)
- Would you be willing to help/put some work into it again, in case I tried to decompile and reconstruct the current model, in order to fix some issues, or would you consider this a waste of time, considering the amount of time that needs to be invested in order to recreate the current state? What is your opinion?

I would really like to have your input here, because you have created one of the best FA-18 models I have seen so far, and have been down this road before!

Peter
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:38:58 am by hd764jvgd843 »

Sundog

« Reply #492 on: November 11, 2014, 01:52:07 am »
FYI,

From the manufacturer's (McDonnell Douglas) drawings regarding the F/A-18, since it seems to be a topic now;

Wing Dihedral: -3.0 degrees

Horizontal Tail Dihedral: -2.0 degrees

Best regards,

Ken

P.S.- After reading some of the comments regarding wing sweep, there are two references for wing sweep, the quarter chord sweep angle, which is 20 degree for the F/A-18, and the leading edge sweep angle which is 26.64 degrees. The quarter chord sweep angle is for subsonic airflow reference, since that is where the thickest part of the wing is located. So, if you do any subsonic aerodynamic calculations, you use that sweep angle. If you are performing supersonic aerodynamic calculations, those equations will use the wing leading edge sweep angle since the critical Mach number is important in compressible flow. An upper case lambda usually represents the quarter chord sweep angle. Sometimes you will see it with a "1/4" subscript. The leading edge sweep is usually represented by the upper case lambda with a "l.e." subscript for leading edge.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:36:06 am by Sundog »

Jamal

« Reply #493 on: November 11, 2014, 05:41:58 am »
Hello Jamal,

thanks for the quick reply. If I understand Jimi correctly, importing the model itself does not seem to be the problem, but recreating the functionality (control surfaces and switches) and retexturing it.

I have opened various fsx models with ModelConverterX, but I do not yet have any software to import these into. I will try to get my hands on a trial version, have a look at the models and then decide what to do.

Could you provide some more information please, concerning:
- How long did you work on this project altogether (weeks/months?, how many hours did you put into it - an estimate?, what work did take the most time?, what were the most difficult tasks to accomplish - in your opinion?)
- Did you start from scratch or did you have a model to start with? (if so, which one did you use?)
- Do you have any other data or information left that could help us modifying the model, or make certain changes to it, without having to decompile and reconstruct? (fixing the blue canopy issue for the d version model, or correcting the the pilot helmet/head issues? or, is it impossible without having to decompile and reconstruct?)
- Would you be willing to help/put some work into it again, in case I tried to decompile and reconstruct the current model, in order to fix some issues, or would you consider this a waste of time, considering the amount of time that needs to be invested in order to recreate the current state? What is your opinion?

I would really like to have your input here, because you have created one of the best FA-18 models I have seen so far, and have been down this road before!

Peter

Heya Peter,
The model(s) was a lower poly version of a more complex project I had started from scratch years ago, which funny enough started from a MUCH lower poly model I developed for EFalcon (a Falcon4 derivative after the source code was leaked in the late 90's). So, in a sense, the model file through many iterations is nearly 15 years old...
Anywho, no I can't work on it. Would it be worth converting through Modelconverter? Personally I would say no, because you'd essentially have to rebuild the model anyway, including re-applying textures, fixing anomalies, and re-animating. I'm working on a higher poly version of the A through D for TacPack, and amongst other projects such as an F-4B, I don't have the time for it.

Jamal

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #494 on: November 11, 2014, 10:22:53 am »
Hello Ken,

thanks for the updates on the dihedral and wing sweep discussion and how these impact flight dynamics! I guess a changed wing sweep angle for subsonic and supersonic speed could be realized via another gauge.
- Do you have more information regarding the transition between subsonic and supersonic flight or should we just assume a linear one for reasons of simplicity?

- Did you get the wing dihedral of -3.0 degrees by visual comparison or is that value specifically mentioned in the drawings? - You said the resource are McDonnell Douglas drawings, for which version do they apply - early A/B or upgraded C/D versions?
- Could you provide a (partial) scan/screenshot or upload of the source you have?

I know that some values were considerably changed between the older A/B versions and the updated C/D ones. A good comparison can be found here: http://www.dept.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/FA18.pdf
Regrettably, no dihedral values are mentioned in this resource.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:34:40 am by hd764jvgd843 »