Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148468 times)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2014, 05:32:16 pm »
Very nice Textures Mr. Butler!  Glad to have someone with your eye and talent helping us out!

Pyro:  Yes you will find a few extra gauges in there from previous projects.  Some are more or less "Easter Eggs" for the FSX Blue Angels to use, such as the Spring gauge. There are others that I have spent weeks on with no success only to save for a later date to try again.  As things head toward completion, I will sanitize such files.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2014, 09:09:02 pm »
Need some help guys.  Do any of you know the Throttle position to RPM correlation of the hornet (i.e. what percentage of throttle movement, gives you what RPM)?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2014, 10:13:37 pm »
Do you want compressor or fan RPM? Both vary with pressure I believe, but here are some excerpts from the NATOPS:

Compressor RPM's
Ground Idle - 63-70% - I noticed that the FSXBA bird idles at 61%, not incorrect per se, but that's the idle for the -400 engine which were only used for the first lot F-18C's.

Flight Idle - 68-73%  Idle stop extends once in UA more and retratcs again in PA.  Flight idle stop also retracts under high g-loading and allows for ground idle usage in flight.

Fan RPM's
Full burner max fan RPM is 106-108% depending on engine variant (Almost all C's use the -402, so 108% is probably the best bet for the FSXBA bird)

As far as throttle positions, I believe (couldn't find it in NATOPS) that the throttle movement from ground idle to MIL (100% Compressor, 102% Fan) is almost perfectly linear, and MIL to MAX follows a small exponential function.  I'll keep digging.

Pops

ExNusquam

« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2014, 11:33:22 pm »
Pops, what's your source on that? I dug through the NATOPS and couldn't find useful info.

I also poked around to see if I could find any useful doc that would correlate PLA with RPM or FF...all I found were a few NASA docs that were not very helpful.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2014, 01:52:43 am »
Roger that.  Thanks.  It's been some long days, but I'm really making progress on the throttle/thrust issue.  Big thanks to the snow (work has been cancelled for the last 3 days) and Roy Holmes (showed me what all that engine gibberish in the .air file does and how they relate).

As for resolving the Pitch Auto Trim issue, our buddy SPINS asked one of his buddies (Hornet Driver) about the System.  See below.
Jamal,

In all of those scenarios, the jet will attempt to maintain 1g flight. It attempts to capture 1g flight which is done through flight path angle, and not nose position. So in all those scenarios the jet will adjust pitch to maintain 1g on the aircraft. This makes it very easy to lose track of airspeed because the jet doesn't respond to airspeed like a normal aircraft would. This is why the Hornet has such a good autothrottle system, and it's standard to use autothrottle whenever your attention isn't focused 100% on flying the jet.

Although I haven't specifically tested those scenarios, here is my understanding. I will jump in a simulator and flight test them and get back to you with 100% accurate answers. But the textbook answer would be;

1.) The jet will maintain roughly 10 degrees nose up in 1g flight.
2.) The jet will maintain 1g flight through nose position. The nose will stay at 30 degrees although the flight path will begin to fall and the end state here will be the nose pitched up 30 degrees and the jet falling out of the sky likely around 45-50 degrees alpha. The nose may start to fall off slightly as the rate of descent becomes excessive, but it will not fall like a normal aircraft to maintain trimmed speed since the jet is constantly retrimming for 1g when it's in UA mode.
3/4.) In both these modes the aircraft will continue to accelerate nose down at 1g until aft stick is programmed.

Again, this is my understanding of the FCS system, but I've never actually let go of the stick and allowed the condition to progress into the extremes that you're asking about. I'll write up a kneeboard card and test it out in the sim (probably Monday) and let you know what happens. Any other situations you'd like tested while I'm making the trip to the box?

-Evan
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:05:41 am by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

pyroperson87

« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2014, 06:03:50 pm »
Pops, what's your source on that?

Source is A1-F18AC-NFM-000, first page of Chapter 4 (Operating Limitations)

Pops

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2014, 08:16:28 pm »
10 pages of those Operating Limits from mentioned NATOPS attached:
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2014, 01:37:36 am »
Guys,

Thanks again for the help, info and support.  Based on the numbers given by Average Joe (attached) and a few other bits of information that I gathered from either NATOPS and/or Google), I came up with this basic matrix to work off of (also attached).  It's not perfect, and the jet doesn't match up perfect, but its close enough and at least gets us in the ballpark to somewhat realistic throttle response based on real-world info...

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Woogey

« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2014, 07:59:22 am »
Hey Jimi, forgive me if this is mentioned somewhere earlier in the 14 pages.  Do you guys plan any TacPack integration?  -Woog

Berettashooter

« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2014, 10:25:42 am »
Hi all.

I've been following this thread with interest, I have nothing to add but I do have some questions.

I have not downloaded this model yet, I have I think the 2012 version, will I need to delete that version before I install this one?

With this one still a WIP, will there be a link to any updates / fixes or upgrades or will we need to download a whole new model once everything is complete?

Thanks for making what seems to be an awesome legacy F-18 for us mate and for making it available.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2014, 03:04:12 pm »
Hello Beretta,

This jet is a complete my new aircraft so you will not need to remove the 2012 variant.  They both should work.

Currently, jet will be a ongoing work in process and as of now, I plan on uploading all of the updates and fixes that I have done over the course of the week. This will be done on a weekly basis (Sundays for now). The version number will increase with each new update (i.e. 2014.1, 2014.2, 2014.3, ect). As I upload the new versions, I will update the original link on page 10 of this thread. Page 10 is also where I am maintaining a list of known problems and the status of their fixes. How this helps.

Woog,
Sorry I must have missed your post earlier.  Unfortunately no, this bird will not be TacPac integrated...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 08:10:26 pm by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

pyroperson87

« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2014, 06:46:49 pm »
To clarify, the download link on page 10 will specify "2014.1, 2014.2" etc when those changes have been uploaded, and we will re-download the whole package?
Pops

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2014, 08:11:18 pm »
To clarify, the download link on page 10 will specify "2014.1, 2014.2" etc when those changes have been uploaded, and we will re-download the whole package?

For now, yes.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Essex

« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2014, 09:02:45 pm »
I've been conducting some experiments on the tailhook.

If you load FA-18.mdl into ModelConverterX it's possible to delete attachpt_tailhook_pivot (leave attachpt_tailhook_hook in it's correct place).
Then you can add attachpt_tailhook_pivot and place it where you choose, (0.00; -25.00; 0.50) is about where Jimi has it.
Now disable the tailhook section in aircraft.cfg.
You should now have the best of both worlds, a hook in the correct place that responds to contact with the deck and a plane that decelerates acceptably.

I'm not sure where the optimum place is for attachpt_tailhook_pivot , it may better to have it forward, near to, but behind the main gear.

For FSX native mdls that don't have attachpt_tailhook_hook it is possible to add it with ModelConverterX, but quite difficult.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2014, 09:17:20 pm »
Good stuff.  Thanks Essex.  Are you able to reassign wingfold assignments with your software as well?  Like to an exit?

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels