Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148462 times)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 05:08:03 am »
Yes you are correct.  If you pause the sim, the trim will continue up (or down) whilst the sim is paused.  The trim will immediately re-center once the sim is un-paused and positive control is placed on the stick.  For the time being, you can probably disconnect the autotrim prior to pausing by placing the Master Arm Switch to the Armed position. This is another fix we are working on for the 2013 release.  Thanks again.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

murthy

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 09:18:54 pm »
   i want to thank for your efforts to improve the hornet flyable like the payware quality addons for me. i am following this project since you started and happy to hear you continue to improve this beauty. is there any chance to add spin characteristics on 2013 version?
thanks
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:08:19 pm by murthy »

kamchatka

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 11:39:06 pm »
Thanks Jimi - ok.

Seeing as how you're working on upgrades I'd like to make a request? I reckon it would be handy to have some kind of eye-level indicator to show when these two recently added features (auto trim and auto speed) are activated. Presently, its a bit tricky flicking down to see if the (former) heat switches are where you expect them or not (I don't have that fancy head-tracking gadgetry) and to be honest, I normally need to double check when I'm on final approach and I could do without the stress if you know what I mean? So some kind of HUD indication - even a tiny dot or something. In reality, by the time the upgrade arrives, I'll be fluid with the machine and the controls but it might help other newbies in future.

edit...doh - "ATC"  appears in HUD for speed hold? Just noticed.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:44:03 pm by kamchatka »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2012, 06:59:58 am »
Murthy:
Thanks a ton for the compliments.  I am currently in a move from Monterey, CA to Norfolk, VA.  Once I get settled in, I will take a stab at it.  FSX is very finicky when it comes to stalls/spins.

Kamchatka:
Roger that.  Yes, the "ATC" indicator appears on the HUD when the auto-throttle control function is active.  I'll try to think of something for the Takeoff Trim.  I will probably add some sort of indication in the Shift+4 "Status Gauge" on the status of the trim and most likely the flaps as well.

Thanks guys for the suggestions/feedback!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

kamchatka

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2012, 09:02:33 pm »
Hi Jimi

Now that I've had a bit more time to fly the new F18 I've got a bit more feedback, I hope it's useful.

From a carrier landing perspective it's awesome. The take-off trim assist is handy and the ATC on landing leaves me free to concentrate on the positioning, so that's brilliant too. Landed in dense fog earlier today - no issues - the TACAN/ILS crosshairs brought me in beautifully.

I noticed an issue with the afterburner last night. Was doing a kind of routine flight from Victorville (KVCV) to Vandenburg (KVBG) at just FL13. Once it levelled out, I edged the speed up slowly. The first stage of afterburner kicked in at about 103% thrust but it was only on for a few seconds when suddenly, the afterburner (by itself) switched to full power. Pressing F2 to reduce it did nothing - the only way to cancel it was to press F1 to cut the thrust altogether. Just in case it was a temporary glitch, I took it up again, on exactly the same route and the same process. Same thing happened.

The other thing I have trouble with is the auto trim when doing a carrier take-off. If I land on the carrier then move over to the catapult, the autotrim doesn't work (I understood from the guide that it does the same as a land-based take-off but with slightly different parameters). I've not tried placing myself on a carrier to start with, only tried after landing on one. For the record, I lock on to the catapult, one stage of flaps, 90% thrust and try the auto-trim at that point. I've also tried the same procedure with varying tilts on the elevators -no effect - and I've tried engaging the autotrim before applying the thrust - also no effect.

It'd be good to hear your thoughts.

I also tested the bird on a FL35 flight and as you suggested, turned off the FCS before I achieved much height. It went straight up to FL35 without any issues, so it was the autoflaps causing the problem I mentioned in an earlier post. Thanks for the workaround.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:16:49 pm by kamchatka »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 04:13:45 am »
Hey Kamchatka,

Good stuff.  Thanks for the eval and feedback.  Now to answer some questions/issues.

I noticed an issue with the afterburner last night. Was doing a kind of routine flight from Victorville (KVCV) to Vandenburg (KVBG) at just FL13. Once it levelled out, I edged the speed up slowly. The first stage of afterburner kicked in at about 103% thrust but it was only on for a few seconds when suddenly, the afterburner (by itself) switched to full power. Pressing F2 to reduce it did nothing - the only way to cancel it was to press F1 to cut the thrust altogether. Just in case it was a temporary glitch, I took it up again, on exactly the same route and the same process. Same thing happened.

What you were experiencing was the throttle control system built into the autothrottle system for the FSXBA Hornet.  While we were working on proper thrust curves that are more accurate as altitude increases (aerodynamic airspeed controller), we put a "mechanical airspeed controller" gauge into our variant that controlls the throttle so that one can not overspeed the jet.  It takes altitude into consideration and linearly extends the max allowable airspeed from Mach 1.2 at seal level to 1.8 at 36,000 ft.  So the throttle movement you are witnessing is the gauge working to keep you within parameters.  The 2013 variant will not have this gauge as the thrust curves have been fixed, eliminating the need of the mechanical airspeed controller.

The other thing I have trouble with is the auto trim when doing a carrier take-off. If I land on the carrier then move over to the catapult, the autotrim doesn't work (I understood from the guide that it does the same as a land-based take-off but with slightly different parameters). I've not tried placing myself on a carrier to start with, only tried after landing on one. For the record, I lock on to the catapult, one stage of flaps, 90% thrust and try the auto-trim at that point. I've also tried the same procedure with varying tilts on the elevators -no effect - and I've tried engaging the autotrim before applying the thrust - also no effect.

I need a little more clarification on your situation.  The Carrier Takeoff Trim should work the same as land-based version.  The only differences is the stabilators and trim values are increased a little for carrier launches.  There are no visual indications on the HUD present.  The trigger that the aircraft uses to distinguish between land-based and carrier based is the Launch bar.  If it is extended and the Carrier Takeoff Trim gauge is activated, it will set the stabs for carrier launch.  By design, it system set the aircraft at a 10 degree nose up pitch attitude shortly after launch.  A visual indication that the trim is set is by looking at both the trim indication located on the bottom right of the center MFD, and also the flight stick should move aft slightly once activated.  Once you move the stick, it should center for a split second, and then return to the slightly aft position.

I also tested the bird on a FL35 flight and as you suggested, turned off the FCS before I achieved much height. It went straight up to FL35 without any issues, so it was the autoflaps causing the problem I mentioned in an earlier post. Thanks for the workaround.

Good deal.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

kamchatka

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 11:10:07 pm »
We've just got to await the 2013 model then  :)

I figured out the auto-trim gripe. Its all because I fly the hornet from the keyboard (I know, I know - one day I'll get round to buying a stick.). The problem is that AFAIK the keyboard doesn't re-center the stick forwards and backwards, only side to side. So what happens is that if the stick is not centered, nothing happens when you press Shift H. But...let's say the stick is pulled right back and the trim readout says something like 0.2NU, if I press Shift H, push the stick forward slowly there comes a point when the NU readout jumps to 7.0 (on land) - then I know the stick is also in the correct position and when I take off it acts as it should too and automates to the secondary trim setting. So if the stick is too far forwards, I do the same process but gently pull the stick back until the NU reads correct. I guess if you are using a proper joystick, it will automatically be centered to the correct position already so Shift H will act like you intended, every time.

BTW For sure the same thing happens on the carrier but with the alternative trim-settings you described.

It is possible to update this so that it works no matter the initial position of the stick? I know this means pandering to joystick-less heathens but we too like your bird :)

Roll on 2013.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2012, 05:57:52 am »
My apologies.  Didn't you were operating without a joystick.  Keyboard flying is a whole different story entirely.  As far as I know, I don't think that there is a way for the autotrim system to work by using keyboard alone.  The system is programs to work once the stick is within 3% of center.  This tells the system, that the pilot has released the controls and for it to take over and do its thing.  Once the controls exceed 3% forward or back, the system nulls out the pitch trim and returns control to the pilot.  If I took out the 3% rule that tells the gauge when to take over, the system would constantly try to trim the aircraft to 1 G flight, regardless of pilot input.  This means that the system would constantly fight the pilot with pitch inputs by inducing elevator trim in the opposite direction that the pilot is trying place the aircraft.  If you pull back on the stick/keyboard for positive G, the system would induce nose down trim in an attempt to get you back to 1 G.  Likewise, if you pushed forward on stick/keyboard, the system would induce nose up trim in an attempt to get you back to 1 G.

(I know, I know - one day I'll get round to buying a stick.)

Now might be the time  ;D  There are plenty of decent joy/flight sticks out there for all level of simmers.  Saitek and Thrustmaster have sticks available from $15 - $400.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

murthy

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 06:21:52 pm »
  is there any news about 2013 version of this improved beauty?

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 08:07:36 am »
Hey Murthy,

My apologies for the late response.  Yes the 2013 is still in the works, but still a ways from completion.  Currently, I am working on the following for the next release:

-Updated power/acceleration tables so that the jet handles correctly at both low and high altitudes
-Updated Powered Approach (PA) Mode
-New/Updated Textures
-Tweaking an existing Camera shake to emulate air buffeting during high G/ high Alpha Conditions
-Updating Fuel Consumption per giving power/throttle conditions

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2013, 08:45:33 am »
-New/Updated Textures

Any sneak peaks at some possibly upcoming textures?  I can't speak for everyone, but I know I would LOOOOVE some more paints for what I like to call the "Captain Sim F-18D with FSXBA enhancement"  ;D
Pops

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 09:11:24 pm »
Sorry man. Still working on flight handling/characteristics right now.  Textures are a ways down the list.  I will start posting some once I get to that area.  Thanks for your patience Sir.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 08:02:44 am »
Textures are a ways down the list.

I figured, but it never hurts to ask.  Keep truckin along my friend.
Pops

kamchatka

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46:22 pm »
What does this mean...Updated Powered Approach (PA) Mode

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 03:31:49 am »
Kamchatka,

It means that I have taken a different approach on the Powered Approach Mode.  Since I don't have the coding freedom to model the Powered Approach mode exactly like the real thing, I have taken a different approach to modeling the trim control system.  In the 2012, the system automatically trims to set the aircraft at the optimal 8.1 degree Angle of Attack.  In the real aircraft however, the pilot is able to manually adjust the Angle of Attack at which is the aircraft is to maintain by using the trim button.  Since I am not yet able to accurately able to replicate this in the Acceleration Hornet, I am trying a more dynamic route with the 2013 Hornet.

The Powered Approach Mode for the 2013 Hornet constantly monitors the AOA and maintains the AOA that the aircraft was flying at the moment the stick is returned to the neutral position.  This allows the pilot to easily select the desired AOA of his/her choosing while on approach.  If the pilot wants to fly 8.1 AOA, all he/she has to do is make the normal stick/power adjustments to get the aircraft to 8.1 AOA and then release the stick.  At that point the trim system will lock in 8.1 degrees and will maintain it for him/her.  If the pilot decides he/she wants to fly 9.0 AOA instead, all he/she has to do is gently pull back on the stick and/or ease power to get to 9.0 AOA and release the stick.  The aircraft will then lock in 9.0 AOA and maintain 9.0.  During my Miramar F/A-18 Simulator experience with Sludge, we both noticed that the trimmed AOA  would briefly flash in the lower right side of the HUD once the aircraft was trimmed to a new AOA.  I tried to replicate something similar by having the "trimmed to" AOA show up on the HUD on the lower right side of the HUD.  Once the trim system has trimmed the aircraft to .1 degree of its assigned AOA, the indication disappears.

If anyone is interested in testing out the flight modeling for what I have so far for the new 2013 FSXBA Hornet, please download from the link below.  It only contains one texture (orange/white prototype) and minimal effects to keep the file size down.  Once I finalize everything for it, I will add more/new textures and re-attach the effects. 

http://www.fsxblueangels.com/hornet%20prototype%20download%20template.html

Some things to look for:
-Powered Approach Mode (as described above)
-High-G, High AOA buffeting (camera view effect)
-Adjusted Military and Afterburner Thrust curves
-Adjusted High/Low speed handling
-Ground/Flight Idle adjustment (61% N2 on ground, 68-70% in air)

It would be great to get some feedback!  Thanks in advance!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels