Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148896 times)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 01:04:36 am »
Finally getting a chance to download this, as with Sludge's great mods, I normally only fly the CS Family Wagon, was this tested at all with BA 7 on your end? If not, I should be able to make the changes to the CS?

Yes sir, the auto-installer gives you the option to install just the single-seater only (F/A-18A), or both the single and CS two-seater (CS F/A-18D) variants.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Johan

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 12:26:16 am »
Hello Jimi, this is a great plane, just after a few tests today. Great approaches near the boat, really stable on the glideslope.
I noticed there is no IFLOLS anymore (as part of the on-screen display), but I added it from Sludge's.
I had a tougher time approaching the KC-135 for refueling. When I deviate a little up/down or left/right, the plane is not as reactive to come back aligned with the refueling boom...it's probably just me, I need more time practicing.
On Sludge's refueling gauge, there used to be a box to check in order to extend the F-A/18 refueling probe. That was convenient, now one needs to go back to the VC to toggle it.
Thanks for the ATC, that's great.
Thank you for the plane, it's going on top of my list, together with Sludge's.

Johan

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 03:39:28 am »
Johan,

Thanks very much for testing, for the compliments, and for the input. 

I noticed there is no IFLOLS anymore (as part of the on-screen display), but I added it from Sludge's.

The feedback from most of the testers that I had test the jet were that they preferred not to have the IFLOLS on the screen and had rather use the system native to the carrier. 

I had a tougher time approaching the KC-135 for refueling. When I deviate a little up/down or left/right, the plane is not as reactive to come back

As for your refueling experience, the jet tends stay at the pitch angle it was at when you release the controls due to the pitch auto-trim system.  Next time, try deactivating the the trim system by toggling the MASTER ARM SWITCH in the VC to ARM.  You might have better results that way. 

On Sludge's refueling gauge, there used to be a box to check in order to extend the F-A/18 refueling probe. That was convenient, now one needs to go back to the VC to toggle it.

I'll start working on attaching the refueling probe to the refueling gauge.   

All are definitely valid points Sir, and I will try to incorporate most in the next release.  Thanks again.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Amigo

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 11:07:41 am »
Jimi 08,
Thank you for your delightful note I did really appreciate. The way I read how you are taking care of the future potential FSX users is respectable. Best regards, Amigo

Johan,
Could you please explain for me what IFLOLS stands for and where to get a good KC-135 add-on for refueling (?).
Best regards, Amigo

Johan

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 04:01:08 pm »

Johan

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 07:44:21 pm »
It looks really good and flies superb...Thanks again Jimi.

Johan

Amigo

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 09:19:17 pm »
Johan,
Thanks for your educational help. Fly safe, Amigo

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 07:01:28 pm »
Anytime!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Jymp

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »
Thanks Jimi for your hard work on this bird, what excatly is the difference in this bird compared to Sludges's Hornet ?

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 12:23:42 am »
Thanks Jimi for your hard work on this bird, what excatly is the difference in this bird compared to Sludges's Hornet ?

Thanks Jymp!  This version of the F/A-18 is a different beast from the SLUDGE variant, despite the fact that it uses a few similar gauges for effects, carrier, and refueling operations.

I consider Sludge a great friend and there have been many nights where we have worked side-by-side with each other on our own variants. We both share a "if you want it, take it" policy with our designs, therefore, you will notice some of his handy work in the FSXBA variant, just as you will notice some of my handy work in the SLUDGE variant.

All in all, our variants tend to verge in terms of the way our jets achieve their desired flight handling and characteristics. As SLUDGE often states, we works with the "less is more" philosophy in terms of flight control/handling.  Because of this, SLUDGE tends to focus mainly on the aircraft.cfg and the .air file to achieve what he wants with the jet and it's handling, while the FSXBA variant uses a variety of custom xml gauges in addition to our own FSXBA aircraft.cfg and .air files. It's the xml gauges in our jet that acts as the Flight Control System (FCS), helping the pilot to fly the jet and ease pilot workload. One great example of such is the pitch auto trim gauge. While in Up & Away (UA) flight, it constantly monitors the state of the jet and dials in nose up or nose down trim to keep the jet at 1 G flight once the flight controls are released. In Powered Approach (PA) mode, it again uses elevator trim, but to maintain a certain Angle of Attack (AOA), instead of G. And it does this 18 times per second! This is only one of many gauges that work in similar ways to control rudder input, flap operation, throttle handling, and pirouette maneuvering.

A more detailed list of the changes that we have included on our jet is attached and can be downloaded below.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:29:24 am by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

JamesChams

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 09:35:21 am »
Mr. Justin "Jimi" Hendrix,

Tried your *bird* (v12.3) today, for the first time ...

...must say I am quite impressed with the improvements over the default and the *other* one out there.  I actually had to go through the mental process of flying it as if it had a FBW FCS, similar to the way I would have to do with the current version of VRS' SH; an outstanding achievement on your part; amoungst the other features I really liked the improved sound (coupled with A2A's Accu-Feel), vapor FX's & new AB FX's, to mention a few.  :o  8)  I found these quite enjoyable ;D and a happy change to flying the *improved* default, and not be left feeling let-down in any way.  

Again, a remarkable achievement on your team's part.  I look forward to the next version(s), should there be any; and if you'll could consider a request, to improve on and further integrate these features by replacing the default MFD's with further improvements & including abilities found in CS' Weapons for FSX, which I'm sure that would agree would be the next logical step.... That is, if time permits such efforts on your part.

Nice work!  ;D

... off to try the improved CS F/A-18D version now! :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:38:43 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

Herbie

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 04:25:15 am »
Need some advise: I'm getting lately those Sound error, See screenshot. I run the HD Sound from the motherboard with 2.1 Speaker configuration. In my Control-Panel/Sound setting, all test are fine. I also tested the sound-files, Betty-wave, gear-up wave and so on, in the installed FXBA_multipalyer folder "Sound" no problems there. Herb

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 05:33:19 am »
Mr. James Chams

Thanks for the kind words!  I'll pass them on to all those who helped create it.  Thanks also for the suggestions, we'll see what we can do.

---Break---

Herbie

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the sound files.  Do you have a standard FSX setup (i.e. FSX is installed in C:/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X), or do you have it installed on a different drive?  Also, have you checked the appropriate sound folder and actually laid eyes upon the file mentioned in the error message.  If so, did you actually try playing the sound file with an audio player external to FSX, such as Windows Media Player?  If it doesn't play then, you might have accidentally corrupted one or some of your files during download or installation.  If that's the case, I'd recommend re-installing.  Please let me know what you find.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:37:35 am by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Herbie

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 08:28:29 pm »
Hello Jimi!
I do have FSX on a separate SSD Hardrive Like: "F:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" no quotes, On Drive C:\ WIN7/64bit and all other Programs. See Screenshot. My Speaker-Icon, lower right-side task-bar, Slider is set between 60-77% (Wife don't like the engine sound at night)  >:( Herb
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:23:16 pm by Herbie »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 08:27:00 pm »
Roger that Herb.  You might need to do a manual installation.  I'll take a look at a few files when I get home and see if we can't figure out a fix.  Thanks for your help and patience.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels