Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148608 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #1380 on: June 21, 2017, 11:47:36 am »
My attempts to get anything done with the file in recent history, has resulted in a constant ping-pong game between FSDreamTeam (the company that created the original gauge), Microsoft (the company that bought the code) and Dovetail (the company that brought the rights from Microsoft to redistribute the code). 

Please exclude us from the "ping-pong".

We never had any rights to the F/A-18 source code, because we did a work-for-hire for Microsoft so, they always had the rights to it from day one. Which means, is totally useless keep asking for the code to be released here, because we are not in any position to do so.

So, Microsoft surely has the rights to the F/A-18 source code. We cannot possibly know if Dovetail has the same rights because, while they surely have the rights to sell the *binary* code (since the F/A-18 is included with FSX:SE), we don't know if they have the rights to the *source* code, considering it's not included in Flight Sim World.

And, we don't even know if the only other company which has bought the rights to the FSX source code, which is Lockheed Martin, could have the rights for the F/A-18 as well, but decided not to include it in P3D, because the real plane is made by their competitor, MD/Boeing. Well, at least in this case, I might try to ask them, but of course they would have no obligations to reply or disclose details of the contract with Microsoft.

ctec1

« Reply #1381 on: June 21, 2017, 12:59:31 pm »
Gentleman,

Thanks for the responses. I had a pretty good idea of what the answers would be. I guess I'll just keep my P3DV3 install intact just for the Hornet. Regardless of whatever happens in the future, I just got to say "Thanks" to all involved for the work you've done. The Hornet paired with vLSO , AICarriers and the Nimitz has been a blast. ;D

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1382 on: June 22, 2017, 02:05:37 am »
Ctec1,

Copy all and thanks.

--->Break<---

Virtuali,

Copy all on the work for hire message Virtuali.  The "Ping-Pong" reference was more of a descriptor of my going "back and forth" between the three entities trying to get some results.  My inquiry initially started with your guys, who recommended I contact Dovetail and/or Microsoft.  I've contacted Microsoft with no response.  I contacted Dovetail who has sent me back to Microsoft.

Below was the last message from Dovetail:
"Thanks for your email. I have spoken to my colleagues and I understand that our agreement with Microsoft to distribute Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition does not allow us to share source code, which is still retained by Microsoft. "

... so yes, it has been sort of a Ping-Pong for me...

I do remember SLUDGE posting on here a while back when working the HUD issue, saying that he received permission from Microsoft with the go-ahead to update and make changes.  Does this not suffice?  If not, what will you require from Microsoft in order to "re-open Pandora's box"?

What did you guys have to do in order to get permission to sell the Ground Radar add-on for the bird?  Maybe we can leverage some of the same processes.

If you have a good Microsoft POC that I can use to help resolve this issue, that would be great!  I have no issue running the leg work for this....just need to be pointed in a good direction.

Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #1383 on: June 22, 2017, 11:07:58 am »
I do remember SLUDGE posting on here a while back when working the HUD issue, saying that he received permission from Microsoft with the go-ahead to update and make changes.  Does this not suffice?  If not, what will you require from Microsoft in order to "re-open Pandora's box"?

Someone saying he has received permission from Microsoft, is very different than Microsoft sending a written confirmation to me, that I will also have the right to distribute the source code and doesn't say anything under which conditions this would happen.

What did you guys have to do in order to get permission to sell the Ground Radar add-on for the bird? 

We haven't distributed or changed any Microsoft code, the F-18.GAU is still the original one and no files of the airplane are modified by that addon.

Corvette99

« Reply #1384 on: June 25, 2017, 05:43:44 am »
Any chance anybody is updating the MFDs for P3D v4 ? The plane flys great but the panel is not !  :'(

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1385 on: June 25, 2017, 07:45:02 am »
Corvette,

We are.  Slow and painful process... No completion date in sight.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Corvette99

« Reply #1386 on: June 25, 2017, 04:00:41 pm »
Corvette,

Thanks Jimi ! My favorite jet !

Razgriz

« Reply #1387 on: June 26, 2017, 09:57:16 pm »
Corvette,

Any chance of releasing the 64 bit FCS dll in the meantime?  I'm using the 17.1 Hornet and I've been flying it (i disabled the FCS Fail message on the HUD).  I don't mind the MFDs being blank, but it would be nice to have the FCS working again.  Thanks either way!

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1389 on: June 29, 2017, 04:13:09 am »
Corvette,

Thanks Jimi ! My favorite jet !

Appreciate the good words Corvette!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Kappachino1911

« Reply #1390 on: July 11, 2017, 08:18:35 pm »
Afternoon gents,

Looked around as much as I could but couldn't find anything exactly like the error I'm getting when I launch P3D and select this fine aircraft.  I see the dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau located in the base F-18 panel folder but not sure how to make the error go away or point the cfg to here.  This is what the panel.cfg says

//SOUND   
gauge19=dsd_fsx_xml_sound!Sound,  2,2,2,2, \Sound\Sound.ini

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1391 on: July 11, 2017, 08:49:42 pm »
Well, first, is there in fact a Sound.ini in your P3d\Sound folder? Secondly, is it needed? I don't have a \sound\sound.ini, and mine works fine. Do you have a \Sound folder, with a sound.ini file inside it, in the base model's \Panel folder? Thus: \Panel\Sound\Sound.ini . I have never gotten the error you're showing, but it may be P3D is a little more quirky. If the .ini file I just showed exists, have you tried placing it in you P3D\Sound folder, and seeing if the error goes away?

Let us know how it works out!
Pat☺

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1392 on: July 11, 2017, 10:48:30 pm »
Kappachino,

Not super familiar with P3D so this might not work, but try going to your Panel folder, copying the dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau file and pasting it in your primary gauges folder (e.g. Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv3\Gauges).  Reload the sim and see if that works.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1393 on: July 11, 2017, 11:17:28 pm »
All,

I know I said a couple of months ago, that I was pushing for a June release of an updated version of the jet, and here we are....almost mid-July.  Please know that we are still diligently working on the jet and have made A LOT of progress.  I'm thinking many will be very pleased with the results.

What's the hold up?
-BLUF: We are working/redoing Avionics.
--We've decided to start the process of recoding all of the avionics on the jet for a few reasons. 
1.  Since the current avionics where borrowed from the Acceleration F/A-18 Hornet, and they were compiled using C++ in 32 bit, there is no chance that they will be able to work in the new releases of FSX based sims, such as P3Dv4 and Flight Sim World.  They would need to be recompiled and released in 64 bit, and I personally don't see that happening anytime soon...
2.  Since we've made the jet functional in TACPACK, we eventually wanted to start integrating avionics, such a functional Stores Management System (SMS) into the aircraft.
3.  We are redoing the avionics in XML vs. C++, although C++ is a little easier on the computer, XML gives us the freedom to make the changes we want to make for the project.

Some of the bigger things you can expect with the upcoming release as compared to the 16.1 version:
1.  Integrated Payload Manager.  No more multiple variants of the aircraft to have to select from.  Only 2 versions now, the Fleet version and the Blue Angel one.  The fleet one comes with a payload manager that allows you to select from a myriad of ordnance to load on the aircraft.  The manager works in both TACPACK and Non-TACPACK aircraft, but you will need TACPACK to fire, drop or shoot ordnance.
2.  3D Model Improvements.  Weapons and stores can now be seen from inside and outside of the jet.  Refueling Probe, Tail Hook, and Wing fold can now be seen in multiplayer.
3.  Improved Flight Control System (FCS).  FCS refined and updated for better handling and for better transition between control modes.  FCS also recoded to work with P3Dv4 (64-bit).
4.  Updated Avionics.  As mentioned previously, upgraded avionics that will be compatible with newer releases of P3D and FSW.  New DDI displays include the Stores Management System (SMS), and Flight Control System (FCS) pages.
5.  Over 50 paints/textures included.

That's it for now, but we are making some good progress on the project every day.  I'm really looking forward to releasing this bird soon!

Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Kappachino1911

« Reply #1394 on: July 12, 2017, 12:05:58 am »
Well, first, is there in fact a Sound.ini in your P3d\Sound folder? Secondly, is it needed? I don't have a \sound\sound.ini, and mine works fine. Do you have a \Sound folder, with a sound.ini file inside it, in the base model's \Panel folder? Thus: \Panel\Sound\Sound.ini . I have never gotten the error you're showing, but it may be P3D is a little more quirky. If the .ini file I just showed exists, have you tried placing it in you P3D\Sound folder, and seeing if the error goes away?

Let us know how it works out!
Pat☺

There isn't a sound.ini in the P3D\Sound folder but I do see one in FA-18C_FSXBA2016 16.1 Base\Panel.Fleet\Sound.  I really don't think the file is needed honestly, but then again I'm not sure if there are sounds or gauges associated with it that may not be working yet.  If anything I was trying to resolve the error from popping every time I select the FSXBA F-18.

Kappachino,

Not super familiar with P3D so this might not work, but try going to your Panel folder, copying the dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau file and pasting it in your primary gauges folder (e.g. Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv3\Gauges).  Reload the sim and see if that works.

Jimi,
I went to do just that but that file was already in the main gauges folder...pretty weird.  Not sure what config file it couldn't find that is associated to that .gau file.