Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1154687 times)

PhantomTweak

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #1290 on: December 02, 2016, 09:24:40 pm »
Mr. 72westy, sir,
The file I found at the location you gave is a different one than the the one I linked. Is it the same plane in a different place? I have no idea. All I know is that one I linked, to the best of my knowledge, is THE current v16.1.
Pat☺

Azframer

« Reply #1291 on: December 05, 2016, 02:21:01 am »
Mr. 72westy, sir,
The file I found at the location you gave is a different one than the the one I linked. Is it the same plane in a different place? I have no idea. All I know is that one I linked, to the best of my knowledge, is THE current v16.1.
Pat☺

Pat that is the same plane but a different version, none of the line F/A-18C's come with that version, only the Blue Angels version. It should have both the C and D models under the link for the C model. It has FA-18C_FSXBA2014 BA15.4 and FA-18D_FSXBA2014 BA15.3 With a dedication to Number 6 paint scheme on them.

Rick

Edit = C model Blue Angel only zip here:
https://www.mediafire.com/?3f5464gz36o7ul4
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:49:12 am by Azframer »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1292 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:04 am »
Pat, let me clarify some of your WOD calculations

...you want the wind out of the ship's crotch. That little corner where the angle deck meets the forward portion of the flight-deck. Split the difference between the ship's heading and the angle deck's heading, approximately 8° off the BRC. Thus, the wind's direction should be approximately 4° left (port) of the BRC to be absolutely perfect.

Please see the attached image. A moving carrier produces its own wind (the red arrow). When there is some natural wind (cyan arrows), the carrier will steer a course which will put the resulting wind (the yellow arrow) down the angled deck, meaning the ship will steer slightly to starboard of the wind direction to achieve this effect (but not having the wind out of the crotch).

How fast is "forward" with the carrier?
25 kts is standard for the carrier speed. I understand it can be changed in the carrier's sim.cfg file, but I haven't looked into that. I am sure there's a way, I just don't know it yet.

Yes, there's a parameter in the sim.cfg dealing with the speed, but it sets the maximum speed of a carrier:

max_speed_mph = 50

As far as I know, both AIcarriers programs set the forward speed of a carrier via setting its throttle to 60%, which gives 50*0.6=30 kts. There's no way to change that 60% value unless you edit and recompile the software. However, you can tweak the max_speed_mph parameter and set it to, say, 42 which will result in the desired 25 kts.

Since the default carrier speed is 25kts, if you set the wind to come out of the the ship's BRC, as discussed above, then you need 10-15 kts windspeed to get the required 30-35 kts WOD, for the F/A-18C.

And, because those winds are vectors (they all have directions and magnitudes), here starts pure trigonometry  8)
I suggest using this online calculator to compute natural wind parameters.

First you will need to enter:
- the A angle, corresponding to your carrier's angled deck (8.5° for Javier's Nimitz or 9.2° for the default carrier);
- the b side, corresponding to your carrier's speed (25 kts in this example);
- the c side, corresponding to the desired WOD (35 kts in this example).

Then hit the Calculate button and you'll get a solution:
- the a side is the natural wind's speed (~11 kts in this example);
- the C angle is the angle between a and b sides (~152° in this example).

But for natural wind's direction you'll need to use not this obtuse C angle but its acute pair: 180°-152°=28°

So, if you have a carrier moving @ 25kts with the BRC 270°, you should set natural wind from 270°-28°=242° @ 11 kts. This will give you WOD 35 down the angle.

Hope this helps.  ;D

PS. You can play with this calculator and see how reducing the carrier's speed will decrease the angle between the two wind components. Also, I'd suggest using Beaufort scale.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:57:26 am by Paddles »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1293 on: December 05, 2016, 08:48:08 pm »
Thank you Paddles!
That makes things clear as mud :D
Kidding, it really does help. I appreciate the help.
I haven't done that much trig since my sophomore year in high school, and that was a LONG time ago. That online calc helps a lot, too.
I really was just guesstimating on the WOD calcs. I wasn't trying for absolute precision, although I'd wager most boats have someone, the Navigator, the LSO, someone, to do this for flight ops. With that kind of precision, of course. Or do they have a program in the Nav computers that can read the ship's course, the wind speed and direction, and give a recommended course and speed for, say, F/A-18C's, or S-3's, or whatever? Just wondering.
Do they change forward speed to accommodate different types of planes, or do  they set the boat's speed and course to set a WOD for all the planes? I'm not familiar with other plane's requirements, is why I ask.
I really appreciate the carrier speed setting information, too. Now I know how it's done :)

Again, many thanks for all the help. I appreciate you taking the time to set me straight on all this. I apologize to all for the inaccuracies in my posts.
Pat☺

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1294 on: December 06, 2016, 09:56:11 am »
Guys,
I was wrong assuming that the speed of a carrier could be computed as max_speed_mph * 0.6, where 0.6 is that 60% throttle value.
I did some tests with Javier's carrier and here's what I got. The following are max_speed_mph values followed by actual carrier speeds:

60   31.27
50   26.05
40   20.85
30   15.63
20   10.42

The attached chart shows that these pairs of numbers are linearly dependent. And the ratio of this dependency is 0.521, not 0.6. Anyway, it works. I've put 47.98 (25 / 0.521 = 47.98) into the sim.cfg and got exact 25 kts!  :)

I was right that this parameter could be used to tweak the carrier's speed, and even crazy numbers like 60 kts are possible here.

PS. The same ratio works for the Ark Royal, however this model accelerates to the preset speed much faster.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:27:31 pm by Paddles »

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1295 on: December 06, 2016, 08:56:30 pm »
Ok, that's great, Mr. Paddles sir!
Thank you for the very good explanation. now I know how THAT works :D
One question if I may, however. I understand the Max_speed_MPH numbers and how to adjust them, no problem there. I don't understand though, when you gave the "actual speed" numbers, there are two, Like 30,27 for the first set. Is that MPH,KTS?
I can dig the whole 60   30 deal, but what does the ,27 indicate, I guess is my question.
Thanks for all the help. I learn something new every day if I'm not real careful!
Pat☺

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1296 on: December 07, 2016, 04:55:51 pm »
Pat,
Those pairs are real numbers copy/pasted right out of a spreadsheet, which used decimal comma to separate fractional parts. Sometimes I'm careless with formats, sorry :) Please re-read my corrected message.
Of course, the max_speed_mph parameter accepts only decimal point, as any other parameters in various .cfg and .ini files.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1297 on: December 07, 2016, 09:37:30 pm »
No problems.
As usual, it was my pea-brain being confused. I'm not used to a comma for a decimal point is all. Once you mentioned it, I finally had the little light go on :)
Thanks again for all the help!
Pat☺

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1298 on: December 08, 2016, 04:26:49 pm »
Incidentally, I'm working on a practice carrier these days. This is going to be a vLSO add-ons option, allowing you to easily arrange a carrier practice session with no need to install and/or run any additional programs.

I think, it could be useful if you just want to practice carrier landings in adverse and/or varying weather conditions. This option will not replace add-ons like AICarriers, its only purpose will be to spawn a carrier which will automatically maintain the desired wind over deck. Thus, vLSO will take the trouble to calculate carrier's speed and course - in the sim you set the desired place, time and weather conditions, then call the 'Spawn practice carrier' option and the carrier will be spawned below your aircraft and start moving into the wind, maintaining the desired WOD.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1299 on: December 08, 2016, 08:53:48 pm »
with no need to install and/or run any additional programs.
Awesome! Again, my pea-brain is wondering, though, will it be detrimental to have AICarriers, for example, running? I have it load up in the EXE.XML, so when I start the sim, it fires up too, whether I am going to use it or not. If I use the vLSO Practice Carrier option, will AICarriers, if I don't call up a boat with it, interfere in any way?
It sounds like a great set up, especially the calculation of speed and course. Save me some brain power, of which I don't have a lot of any more :)

Thanks for the heads up! I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly appreciate all the hard work you keep putting into vLSO!
Pat☺

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1300 on: December 09, 2016, 06:53:06 pm »
...will it be detrimental to have AICarriers, for example, running? I have it load up in the EXE.XML, so when I start the sim, it fires up too, whether I am going to use it or not.

No, not at all. On my PC I also have AIcarriers autoloaded and vLSO peacefully coexists with it.

If I use the vLSO Practice Carrier option, will AICarriers, if I don't call up a boat with it, interfere in any way?

No, it won't  :)

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1301 on: December 09, 2016, 08:39:22 pm »
Again, sir, I thank you for all the info! I know I can be a bit of a pest about some stuff, but, hey: Knowledge is power :)
I appreciate you taking the time to answer :D
Pat☺

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #1302 on: December 10, 2016, 07:02:46 pm »
'PhantomTweak' asked:
"...I really was just guesstimating on the WOD calcs. I wasn't trying for absolute precision, although I'd wager most boats have someone, the Navigator, the LSO, someone, to do this for flight ops. With that kind of precision, of course. Or do they have a program in the Nav computers that can read the ship's course, the wind speed and direction, and give a recommended course and speed for, say, F/A-18C's, or S-3's, or whatever? Just wondering.
     Do they change forward speed to accommodate different types of planes, or do  they set the boat's speed and course to set a WOD for all the planes? I'm not familiar with other plane's requirements, is why I ask...."
The OOW Officer of the Watch on the bridge would have a good idea of how to steer into wind for good WOD. Then the bridge and air boss and LSO check the MORIAH. These anemometers are in different places with one giving the best WOD indication or the difference is split (depends on how these arranged on a particular CVN I believe).

Yes all aircraft types have an ideal WOD however often other variables such as ship speed to get to a destination or ship course to avoid traffic or land will dictate CVN course and speed and then the air boss / LSO will check that WOD is within limits for aircraft.

Attached PDF has details of MWS MORIAH Wind System. (They call the wind.... MORIAH/Maria spoken MORIAH)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:26:25 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Corvette99

« Reply #1303 on: January 17, 2017, 07:43:51 pm »
I hope I didn't miss this earlier , but is there a way to get rid of the stopwatch on the "D" model panel ???

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1304 on: January 17, 2017, 08:08:57 pm »
I hope I didn't miss this earlier , but is there a way to get rid of the stopwatch on the "D" model panel Huh
Posted on: December 10, 2016, 07:02:46 PM Posted by: SpazSinbad
Best way I can think of is to alias the panel to a panel.fleet on another version. Like if you have the v16.1, alias the D model's panel to that, rather than the BA panel it's using now.
Alternatively, you will have to get in and edit the plane's panel.cfg and // the stopwatch's entry.
I can get more detailed about either, or both, methods, if you want. Just gimme a heads-up :)
Pat☺