Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148467 times)

blackhander92

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #1275 on: November 12, 2016, 09:51:51 pm »
Hey man. Thanks for the good words!  Couple of questions. What version of FSX are you running?  Have you tried pressing ctrl+e and waiting a few seconds?  Sometimes that does the trick.

Wow, there you go, fixed it. I wonder why it wasn't working when I used switches only to power up the jet?

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1276 on: November 13, 2016, 08:05:04 am »
Sounds like you were starting from a saved, cold-n-dark plane. Without the engines running, no HUD.
You can start the engines with the CTRL-E key combo, OR: Set the BATTERY switch ON. This will give you MFDs. Call up the ENG page on one of them.
Set the APU to ON, and wait for it to spool up to 100%. Takes about 1 min, IIRC.
Then set the ENG CRANK switch below it to R. The right engine is normally started first to give the brake systems hyd pressure. watch the N2 RPM spool up to about 20%, then move the right throttle to IDLE. OR, Hit CTRL+SHFT+F4. The engine should light off and spool up to 62% N2 RPM fairly rapidly. Again, monitor the ENG page on an MFD.
Turn the RIGHT Inverter switch to NORM. You now have electrics, and the HUD should be operational.
The ENG CRANK switch will automatically center back up once the engine starts. Perform the same actions for the left engine. Go flying and enjoy the heck outta it :D
All the above actions are the long way of hitting CTRL+E.
Hope all that is some help...
Pat☺

nicka117

« Reply #1277 on: November 29, 2016, 07:38:40 pm »
Hi guys, I used to hang out here back in the day but it's been a while. Had to jump back in FSX and fly dino's f-14 around the boat w/ vLSO.

I also remember loving the original sludge hornet as well.

I don't want to be "that guy" that didn't read all the posts and asks redundant questions....but I guess I'm going to be anyway.

Is the FSXBA hornet a mod to the original accel hornet, or an entirely new freeware plane?

Is the sludge 2.0 worth a try?

I'm now running a Win 10 64 bit machine with FSX:SE? What do I need to do to get the FSXBA cooperating with that operating system?

Thanks in advance!

Kea

« Reply #1278 on: November 29, 2016, 08:56:00 pm »
It's an entirely new plane. And it's awesome.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1279 on: November 29, 2016, 09:24:38 pm »
Well, I'm no expert at this, but I'll try best I can.
Is the FSXBA hornet a mod to the original accel hornet, or an entirely new freeware plane?
It's an entirely self contained, new, stand-alone, freeware plane. The v15.2 is great, but the v16.1 (the latest version) is amazing. I very strongly recommend it. It's amazingly accurate to the RL '18C, both the FDE and FCS. I can't crow loudly enough about it :)
Is the sludge 2.0 worth a try?
I don't have that plane any more, but I understand it's tuned specificaly for doing CQ work. You might like it for that. I still say go with the v16.1 though. If nothing else, it's much "newer" and the work done so far is amazing.
I'm now running a Win 10 64 bit machine with FSX:SE? What do I need to do to get the FSXBA cooperating with that operating system?
I don't have Win10, but I AM running FSX-SE with no troubles in the least. All I have are Kosta's Tweaks to the FSX.cfg.
As far as I know, all you need do is install the proper .Net Framework Release, and since an installer for it is included in the installer for the v16.1, you don't need to worry about it.  Just let it do it's thing, and voila! Problem solved automatically. During it's installation of the .NET Framework Release it sometimes looks like it's locked, but it's not. Don't be fooled. Just let it run and it will finish in it's own sweet time. I think the most work you have to do is to answer YES when it asks if you want it to install the .NET Framework for you. Not very tough, IMO. :)
Oh, and select what sort of weapons loadout you want included. To save space, it has a Base model, which has the Panel, most of the textures, the Sound files, and so on, and then each other loadout has the few required textures, the aircraft.cfg for that loadout, and so on. Thus each different loadout takes up much less room than having to have all the "common" files repeated for each one. "Loadouts" are things like an A-A weapon load, with A-A missiles and a centerline tank, different A-G bomb loads, a Training one with a centerline tank and the weapon pylons attached but nothing else, and so on. You can install the one(s) you like to fly. If you want a different one later, you can simply run the installer again, and select the loadouts you want to add on.
I run the training version 90% of the time. it lets me go up, do some ACM training, and then do some CQ practice. Sometimes I use an A-G loadout, and run a bombing mission someplace. It IS TacPac enabled, if that's your bag, as well.
Does that answer your questions?
Pat☺

nicka117

« Reply #1280 on: November 29, 2016, 10:27:36 pm »
Thanks Phantom!

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1281 on: November 30, 2016, 07:52:27 am »
My pleasure :)
I also like to mention, if you are a fan of doing CQ's, that you use AICarriers.NET, not .exe. The great and talented Mr. Orion, of this forum fame, programmed it. It uses much less of the computer's resources, IMO than the original. It works very nicely with FSX-SE. A lot of people I have recommended it to, seem quite impressed with it.
Using it, you can set the carrier, or task force, you want, wherever you want, then set it in motion, to get some WOD. You can then set the weather to get the rest required by a particular aircraft. The F/A18C, btw, requires 30-35kts :D At least to land properly. Of course, you can also set up for other weather as well. Low ceilings, fog, pouring dow rain, whatever you might "like" :D
Like the pilots say when they launch: I can't believe they PAY me for this!
And when they recover: They don't pay me enough for this #$%^!

Have fun!
Pat☺

nicka117

« Reply #1282 on: November 30, 2016, 05:28:40 pm »
hey Phantom,

yes, I've been using aicarriers and nimitz/eisenhower pack. The exe was working fine but I uninstalled that and loaded up the net version to be safe. It works fine except that when I place the carrier in front of me, it sometimes puts it 6000 miles away. I just delete and reset it and it works fine.

The FSXBA hornet flies like a dream--"feels" very realistic handling-wise. Love the shake effect at high AOA. Seems perfect in every way except I don't see any cockpit shadows and the funny extra face sticking out of the pilots head. LOL.

I tried the sludge hornet 2.0 and the Iflols gauge didn't light up, and I "think" the install screwed up my carrier wake and smoke textures (dumping fuel to get to trap weight). Somehow I replaced the textures with a black texture. The carrier wake is now black and the fuel dump effect is black. Have to figure that out.

A question, in the weather, I set the wind at 16 kts in the opposite direction of the carrier heading. I thought with the carrier speed, that would be enough wind over the deck. How fast is "forward" with the carrier? Is it going 10 knots or something else? I assume the carrier speed is adding to wind over deck? Do I go 24 kts with the wind?

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1283 on: November 30, 2016, 09:29:18 pm »
...in the opposite direction of the carrier heading.
Set the wind in the Advanced Weather the same direction as the carrier is traveling. That sets the wind to come out of the carriers heading, thus, down the deck. Setting it on the opposite heading makes the wind come out of the carriers fantail, thus reducing the wind over the deck.
IE: Ya gots it bass-ackwards :D
Also, you want the wind out of the ship's crotch. That little corner where the angle deck meets the forward portion of the flight-deck. Split the difference between the ship's heading and the angle deck's heading, approximately 8° off the BRC. Thus, the wind's direction should be approximately 4° left (port) of the BRC to be absolutely perfect. Setting the wind can be a bit of an adventure, as when you set it in the Advanced weather section, it then changes it according to the magnetic variation in that location. So you can set it to what you think is the right direction, then when you look at it when you get out of the weather, it's suddenly 5° from what you originally set, just for example. Something to watch out for.
How fast is "forward" with the carrier?
25 kts is standard for the carrier speed. I understand it can be changed in the carrier's sim.cfg file, but I haven't looked into that. I am sure there's a way, I just don't know it yet.
I assume the carrier speed is adding to wind over deck? Do I go 24 kts with the wind?
Since the default carrier speed is 25kts, if you set the wind to come out of the the ship's BRC, as discussed above, then you need 10-15 kts windspeed to get the required 30-35 kts WOD, for the F/A-18C.
What I do is fly out to where I want the ship, set the AP to hold me at 1,000', heading hold on, 350 Kts. I try to get a heading that is a whole number, say 270°, just for example, to make my life easier, figuring out my downwind heading. I'm lazy :) . Shift+J, choose the carrier I want, 10nmi ahead of my location to give me a little time. SHFT+J again, select Forward to set the carrier moving. I have the correct freq punched into the UFC ahead of time, and the hook down, ILS needles ON on the HUD control panel (shft+2). And the correct weight of fuel on board to get the bird below 33,000 lbs. Shft+6 is a great little readout. With the hook already down, You will need to hit shft+6 twice to get the display to show. After that, every time you put the hook down, the display will pop up automatically.
I then hit pause, and set the wind correctly. Once I get that taken care of, I unpause, AP OFF, all of it, and descend to 800', and fly so I am "close aboard" the starboard side of the boat, 350kts airspeed. I usually try to fly so the boat passes where the wingroot hit's the fuselage, from my POV in the cockpit, on the ship's BRC. In this case, 270°. If I have everything all set, great. I do a break turn, etc etc to land on the boat. If it's not just right yet, I go around and come back from about 10nmi again to get everything that way.
except I don't see any cockpit shadows and the funny extra face sticking out of the pilots head. LOL.
I don't sweat the little stuff like that. I'm in it to fly, not take screenies, but that's just me. I hardly ever get out of the cockpit, honestly, except to get lined up in the little box on the deck for launch. The only gripe I have about the cockpit is that at night, with the lights on, I can't see the Advisory lights (like the Launch Bar, or Speed brake lights), or the Flaps/Gear lights. I just turn the cockpit lights off, and those all become visible again.

Anyway, hope all this helps a little bit. have fun!
Pat☺
Since the wind + ship's speed gives me 30 (ish) WOD, I am all set up for launching again, too. So away I go, launch, recover, lather rinse repeat :)

72westy

« Reply #1284 on: November 30, 2016, 09:40:36 pm »
Do you still offer the FA-18D v16.1? I checked your site Jimi and clicking on 'Download' does nothing. The same with the 'textures' downloads.

I see an 'Airbrake fix' download. Which model does this apply to?
Win10 Pro 22H2 19045.3448/Core i7 3770K/G-Skill 32GB DDR3 RAM CL7-8-8-24/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 BIOS F10/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB/Crucial MX 500 1TB SSD/(x3)1TB RAW Mushkin SSDs/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/Corsair RM-750/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/X56HOTAS/TrackIRPro5/Oculus Quest 2/Inateck KU5211

nicka117

« Reply #1285 on: November 30, 2016, 09:44:25 pm »
...in the opposite direction of the carrier heading.
Set the wind in the Advanced Weather the same direction as the carrier is traveling. That sets the wind to come out of the carriers heading, thus, down the deck. Setting it on the opposite heading makes the wind come out of the carriers fantail, thus reducing the wind over the deck.
IE: Ya gots it bass-ackwards :D
Also, you want the wind out of the ship's crotch. That little corner where the angle deck meets the forward portion of the flight-deck. Split the difference between the ship's heading and the angle deck's heading, approximately 8° off the BRC. Thus, the wind's direction should be approximately 4° left (port) of the BRC to be absolutely perfect. Setting the wind can be a bit of an adventure, as when you set it in the Advanced weather section, it then changes it according to the magnetic variation in that location. So you can set it to what you think is the right direction, then when you look at it when you get out of the weather, it's suddenly 5° from what you originally set, just for example. Something to watch out for.
How fast is "forward" with the carrier?
25 kts is standard for the carrier speed. I understand it can be changed in the carrier's sim.cfg file, but I haven't looked into that. I am sure there's a way, I just don't know it yet.
I assume the carrier speed is adding to wind over deck? Do I go 24 kts with the wind?
Since the default carrier speed is 25kts, if you set the wind to come out of the the ship's BRC, as discussed above, then you need 10-15 kts windspeed to get the required 30-35 kts WOD, for the F/A-18C.
What I do is fly out to where I want the ship, set the AP to hold me at 1,000', heading hold on, 350 Kts. I try to get a heading that is a whole number, say 270°, just for example, to make my life easier, figuring out my downwind heading. I'm lazy :) . Shift+J, choose the carrier I want, 10nmi ahead of my location to give me a little time. SHFT+J again, select Forward to set the carrier moving. I have the correct freq punched into the UFC ahead of time, and the hook down, ILS needles ON on the HUD control panel (shft+2). And the correct weight of fuel on board to get the bird below 33,000 lbs. Shft+6 is a great little readout. With the hook already down, You will need to hit shft+6 twice to get the display to show. After that, every time you put the hook down, the display will pop up automatically.
I then hit pause, and set the wind correctly. Once I get that taken care of, I unpause, AP OFF, all of it, and descend to 800', and fly so I am "close aboard" the starboard side of the boat, 350kts airspeed. I usually try to fly so the boat passes where the wingroot hit's the fuselage, from my POV in the cockpit, on the ship's BRC. In this case, 270°. If I have everything all set, great. I do a break turn, etc etc to land on the boat. If it's not just right yet, I go around and come back from about 10nmi again to get everything that way.
except I don't see any cockpit shadows and the funny extra face sticking out of the pilots head. LOL.
I don't sweat the little stuff like that. I'm in it to fly, not take screenies, but that's just me. I hardly ever get out of the cockpit, honestly, except to get lined up in the little box on the deck for launch. The only gripe I have about the cockpit is that at night, with the lights on, I can't see the Advisory lights (like the Launch Bar, or Speed brake lights), or the Flaps/Gear lights. I just turn the cockpit lights off, and those all become visible again.

Anyway, hope all this helps a little bit. have fun!
Pat☺
Since the wind + ship's speed gives me 30 (ish) WOD, I am all set up for launching again, too. So away I go, launch, recover, lather rinse repeat :)

Got it Phantom, thanks Buddy!

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1286 on: December 01, 2016, 07:27:59 am »
Glad to help, Nick!
I know I get wordy sometimes. Sorry 'bout that :)

Mr. 72westy, sir, are you sure you're not looking at Peter's version, including textures? It's a very good plane, don't get me wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a v16.1 for it. Jimi's Hornet, v16.1 is located here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZVU1jaVUtTXZIVVU/view Does that help?
Pat☺

72westy

« Reply #1287 on: December 02, 2016, 12:13:48 am »
Glad to help, Nick!
I know I get wordy sometimes. Sorry 'bout that :)

Mr. 72westy, sir, are you sure you're not looking at Peter's version, including textures? It's a very good plane, don't get me wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a v16.1 for it. Jimi's Hornet, v16.1 is located here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZVU1jaVUtTXZIVVU/view Does that help?
Pat☺

On the following page middle choice http://www.fsxblueangels.com/aircraft
Win10 Pro 22H2 19045.3448/Core i7 3770K/G-Skill 32GB DDR3 RAM CL7-8-8-24/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 BIOS F10/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB/Crucial MX 500 1TB SSD/(x3)1TB RAW Mushkin SSDs/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/Corsair RM-750/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/X56HOTAS/TrackIRPro5/Oculus Quest 2/Inateck KU5211

Azframer

« Reply #1288 on: December 02, 2016, 02:06:35 am »
72westy that is the FA-18D_FSXBA2014 BA15.3 version of the plane and what the FSX Blue Angels settled with while improvements go on.
The D model had added same questions over and over again and that is more about the blue cockpit. I know I had the same issues and posted the fix for it. But with the planes packaged together it made it harder to fix.
I have the D model Blue Angel package you are looking for, you would need to give me time to get it uploaded. It has nothing but Blue Angels clean version. Be back with a link in a bit

Rick

Edit= : The package is all zipped together and I believe the D is packaged with the C model. That is how my zip is packaged. Uploading it now still.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:26:52 am by Azframer »

Azframer

« Reply #1289 on: December 02, 2016, 07:50:31 pm »
Here is the link to the Blue Angel D model alone.

Rick
https://www.mediafire.com/?2zeply1mef7mntk