Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1155987 times)

Kea

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #840 on: August 06, 2015, 11:27:24 am »
Right folks, version 1 NSAWC pack of eight up now for you:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3NHA4MGhhWjFOZHc

Many thanks to Peter for helping me with the last-minute fixes, would've taken ages for me to find those bits!

Package includes two F/A-18B's (00 and 02)...

And six F/A-18C's (22 before it got it's blue coat, 25, 26, 27, 31, 32)...

There's bound to be some minor details to correct in the future, but I'm a bit tired at this point so am releasing as is. If you find any issues please let me know. Might try painting up number 30 at some point too - that's the one in the Iranian-type camo, but we'll see... gotta go do some flying now, been too long painting!

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:15:08 am by Kea »

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #841 on: August 06, 2015, 09:09:26 pm »
Thanks Kea, much appreciated!
Textures look great! Can't wait to give them a spin around the block, so to speak.
Peter

whiteside

« Reply #842 on: August 07, 2015, 03:48:24 am »
Went back to FSX with 15.2. WOW what a great flying jet!
Even with the Field Bypass switch to FIELD, I cannot get the AOA Indexers to stop flashing. Also I cannot display any ILS data on the HUD even though it shows on the STBY GYRO.(I'm putting plane at a field that 30X is the ILS freq. and I'm selecting ILS on RT DDI.

ANY IDEAS?
Thanks for all of your hard work!
Will

PhantomTweak

« Reply #843 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:40 pm »
I've found that entering an ILS requires, normally you input the actual frequency on the UFC, not the TACAN number. 113.50, for example, not 35Y or whatever. And I normally enter the entire frequency, all the digits, or confusion can follow. 112.00, for example. If you only input 112 on the keypad, you 112X, not 57X like it should be, so you need 112.00 entered to get the right result.
You also need to make sure that you bring up the HUD Control panel (SHFT+2), and click the button near the upper end, just below the GUNS Controller, that's attached to the top, right side to activate the ILS Needles.
I don't know about the AOA flashing, mine doesn't in FIELD...
Hope that helps a little bit...
Pat☺

PhantomTweak

« Reply #844 on: August 08, 2015, 08:37:14 pm »
By the way, a question for all you pro's at making carrier traps: I've noticed the "ball" is hidden by the HUD's combining glass frame during the "in-close" portion of the final approach to touchdown. Is there a way to work around this, or is it irrelevant at that point? I know how to slide the view-point sideways, but I'd rather avoid that if possible. I've taken to going to the 2D cockpit view with the HUD on and the carrier landing gauge up (shft+6). Switching to it is easy enough, but again, I'd rather stay with the 3D or VC cockpit. Along those lines, the AOA gauge doesn't show up when I hit shft+6 in the 2D cockpit view. it's line in the gauge window is identical to it's line in the VC cockpit, but nothing. It's as it came default so I'm wondering if maybe a texture call-out of some kind is missing, maybe? I don't know. I've tried every thing i can think of, and I thought I was decent at panel stuff, but this has got me stumped. All I get is a black box at the bottom of the screen. May be a hint, I don't know.
I've seen this work properly in Sludge's Hornet, but, although the line in the Carrier Landing Gauge's window section, still no luck.
Any help at all will be greatly appreciated indeed!
Pat☺

Ah-Menace

« Reply #845 on: August 09, 2015, 01:16:09 am »
Hey Fellas,
    Sorry guys I've been lazy about releasing the Blue Angels Textures I've done,enjoy! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7tS8Q9vucc0bVFWVVZXX1lKSEU/view?usp=sharing

Ah-Menace

« Reply #846 on: August 09, 2015, 02:03:01 am »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:42:16 am by Ahmenace »

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #847 on: August 09, 2015, 12:38:41 pm »
'phantomtweak' you do not see me on this forum so much now that I have stopped flying in FSX Accel (or Prepar3D). However go back a few years and you will find a bunch of excellent SLUDGE posts about this and other carrier landing issues with the SLUDGE Hornet and any addons (search function is good here). I'll not bore you with why I am no longer using any FlightSims but it must be acknowledged that FSX - however modified (often very well to make it useful indeed) - is still not a carrier landing simulator as such. There are many limitations. Some may not notice because as we can imagine that is all they know - so be it and I wish them well and I'm am always impressed by the level of dedication and commitment by people here to making 'carrier landings work for the Hornets'. BZ

On other forums I have tested FSX (and earlier) A-4 Skyhawks (since the beginning really) but always always always the damn view is obscured by all the metal in the front window. In real life it could be ignored whilst the view through the left curved part of the front windscreen was excellent for 'meatball, line up and airspeed ' (Opt AoA). However the bad view could not be overcome in any flightsim.

I have forgotten how to answer your specific question however in the 'SLUDGE times' with his help work advice the extra IFLOLS made carrier landings doable in my view/experience. Otherwise the ordinary view is not really good enough at a mile and a half but one can adjust somewhat. I have read USN LSO advice to 'freeze' (so to speak) with what one has over the ramp but that may not be good enough advice for the quirks in FSX.

Really practice practice practice is what makes it work. Where does one practice? FCLP at least at dusk. Expecting to carrier land with minimal experience - even in a Flight Sim - is a stretch too far IMHO.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

PhantomTweak

« Reply #848 on: August 09, 2015, 08:20:53 pm »
Practicing I have been, Mr. Sinbad :D Day in, day out, night and day. Honestly, it's easier for me to do FCLP T&G's at night. Less external distractions I guess. Your idea of adding the "ball" to the cockpit never occurred to me, but I bet it'll work as a solution to my trouble. Or just go to the 2D cockpit, which is nothing but the HUD. I can add the IFOLS to that too, but it seems redundant as there's no obstruction then.
I understand your...ummm...descision not to "fly" FSX (or anything else) any more, at least for carriers work, as you wore the Wings of Gold in the real world, flying the A-4. I don't blame you, but your advice has been invaluable for a guy that had a stupid attack many many years ago that ruined his chances ever to fly the real thing, but always wanted to (me, that is). This is the closest I can ever get to "the real thing" now, so I'll take what I can get :)
By the by, did I mention that 1) my I level Radar shop worked on the A-4's of VMFAT-102, and that 2) I met my wife when she was decocooning one of them that had gone to Davis Monthan for mothballing after 102 was shut down during the AV-8 transitioning, and was returned for static display at Yuma's front gate along with the F-4 that was there. She was on the nose, forward of the windscreen, facing up, and I drove a tug from VMFAT-401 (who I worked for when I got out) past about 15 or 20 times. She had (and HAS) a very cute tushie, IMO. With her straddling the nose that way, well it was a sight for sore eyes, as they say :D
Scary thing about that A-4, too. It still had a partly filled LOX bottle in it when the revamp team (including my now wife and led by her father) got hold of it. Needless to say, my now father-in-law (a former Master Chief) really turned loose about that on a few people! As my wife says, he went into Master Chief mode...It was kinda educational, actually, to listen a few choice things he managed. Long as it wasn't directed at ME. Hasn't been yet, thankfully!
Thanks again for the help!

Mr. Ahmenace, thanks very much for your hard work! you make very good textures, and your cockpit textures are great.

Have a great day all!
Pat☺
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:42:17 pm by PhantomTweak »

whiteside

« Reply #849 on: August 10, 2015, 11:33:44 pm »
Guys, a couple of things...
1. Are you able to get needles on the hud for the ILS to any ship? HOW of so? I used to be able to get the NIMITZ ILS to come up on 57X but not since I installed 15.2. What am I missing?
I am spawning this in TAcPack and Ive tried the freq that is programmed there for the ILS and the TACAN freq but to no avail. USS Enterprise by DSB as well.
I am selecting ILS on the Right DDI.

2.In response to SpazSinbads post above, what if we had a popup window that always showed us the ball?Didn't we used to through the French carrier website?

I cant believe how well this aircraft flies.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.
Will

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #850 on: August 11, 2015, 12:44:43 am »
'whiteside' and others. It has been awhile since I have used FSX etc. However as I recall when using the SLUDGE Hornet and other stuff perhaps? it was possible to have the IFLOLS in the main window (it could be positioned where ever convenient) usually on the left because that is where one looks after crossing the wake. Having the IFLOLS in view all the time for carrier landing work made it all possible IMHO. It is possible for straight in approaches to do without it but then a lot of practice required to know what to look for from a distance until things become more clear close in. A lot of the view depends on the screen / resolution and capabilities of video card etc. Videos/JPGs must be on this forum showing what I have described. Here is a great video from 2011 - the IFLOLS standalone (as well as AoA) seen at 3m 30sec.

This is one of many posts from the past which may be helpful (especially the Dante Light Fix?): http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=8490.msg0

JPG is from 'GOONIE' from last URL above. Then there is a real HUD view of what it looks like.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:02:31 am by SpazSinbad »

SpazSinbad

« Reply #851 on: August 11, 2015, 01:47:47 am »
JUST the IFLOLS portion of the much longer video above is here now: [because I used the intro to 'TUSK' as a sound track the sound is MUTED by Ubend]

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:49:03 am by SpazSinbad »

PhantomTweak

« Reply #852 on: August 11, 2015, 07:33:37 am »
GO USC MARCHING BAND!!

I am from the Bay Area and used to watch the Stanford home games (I lived very close to the stadium/campus) from a hill near the stadium. But I always loved TUSK. Just something in the beat kinda grabs me.
Thanks for the post :D

1. Are you able to get needles on the hud for the ILS to any ship? HOW of so? I used to be able to get the NIMITZ ILS to come up on 57X but not since I installed 15.2. What am I missing?
Mr. Whiteside, the correct frequency is 111.00 for the majority of the carriers. I believe that gives a TACAN # of 47X, but you have to punch it into the UFC as 11100 ENTER. If it doesn't shor for a particular boat, you can also try 112.00, 113.00 or 114.00 Those are the ship freqs programmed into Javier's "new" hud included with 15.2 . You must also select the ILS button to ON (upper light lit) on the HUD control panel (SHFT+2). Even for the DDI, I think. Maybe just CTRL+F. I'll double check.

2.In response to SpazSinbads post above, what if we had a popup window that always showed us the ball? Didn't we used to through the French carrier website?
There is an IFOLS standalone gauge that I believe you can add into any aircraft as a pop-up window. Give me till tomorrow 1500 PST and I'll dig it up for you. I have it, just what it's called and where I got it...well...I've slept since then :D
Edit: found it! it's included in this bunch by Mr. Barengedt of numerous gauges fame. I trust you know how to add a pop-up to a panel. If not, let me know and I'll write up a quickie "Hot-to". http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=109390 PSB

Good flying, and give Peter's NH version a try, if you like the 15.2. He took the 15.2 and improved it, IMO, so it flies even better! It's an ongoing effort by all concerned though. I understand Jimi and Orion are coming out with an improved version, including an FCS as close to the real world FCS software as is possible to get in the Sim. I can hardly wait!
Pat☺
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:50:26 am by PhantomTweak »

SpazSinbad

« Reply #853 on: August 11, 2015, 09:06:03 am »
61 second TUSK intro .FLV (sound file) attached - only for the sound - necessarily the PDF audio is embedded. Why PDF? Sound/Video formats cannot be uploaded here. The PDF graphic shows a view of the IFLOLS & AoA gauges. JPG is the PDF page. Use latest version of Adobe Reader suitable for your operating system. http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

Now the '61 second youtube' video at 7Mb is on OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1MZZDiY
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:23:08 am by SpazSinbad »

whiteside

« Reply #854 on: August 12, 2015, 05:51:24 am »
Fantastic info to both of you! I have tried 111.00 for all carriers to no avail.
I cant wait to test the other freqs!
Thank you, I dont know how to add that gauge.
WW