Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1155399 times)

hd764jvgd843

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #645 on: February 18, 2015, 11:46:44 am »
Thanks for the nice texture Azframer, much appreciated. I will have a look at it when I get home.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:48:31 am by hd764jvgd843 »

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #646 on: February 20, 2015, 09:55:15 pm »
When I tried to resolve the issue with the dark stripe in between the wing and the right aileron, I remembered a similar issue with the BA version and the text under the wings, there. It seems to be only one stripe for both, left and right, wings. Also the left side of the wing seems to be a tad wider than the other one, which would be in accordance with the assumption above. For the distance strips between the flaps and the wing there also seems to be only one texture, which is being mirrored for both sides. For the elevator, there is just one texture for the upper side and one for below, left and right sides are getting mirrored. For the fins and rudders, four complete textures are available.

As a workaround I slightly changed the wing textures so the issue is not noticed that easily, although it remains somewhat obvious. I also corrected several other small issues I noticed. Thanks again for the great repaint, Azframer, must have been a lot of work.

Because I am not that familiar with the New Hornet textures, I will start with an easy one. Replicated USMC VMFAT-101 222 'Medal of Honor' texture from the FSX version. I will continue with my most favorite FSX textures, that do not seem too difficult to finish.

Best regards, ... Peter

- textures_VFC-12_and_VMFAT-101.zip => http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/SBfgoYmP/file.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:16:59 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

Azframer

« Reply #647 on: February 20, 2015, 11:01:31 pm »
Vertical stabs there is 4 surfaces but for the rudder surfaces themselves those are mirrored as well. One is inside and the other is outside. That strip that ties the 2 together I found it is nothing.
Yea it did take a lot of work saving and checking in the sim back and forth to get to where it is. Mediafire is showing 46 downloads as of now so a few people like it, makes me want to do more. I'll be waiting on when I am able to buy the Corel. I did save the bmp's so I could attempt to use them in Jasc Paintshop Pro but it came out with a white background selecting it and cut it away just give me a grey background.
I am left with creating a new layer and painting over a particular layer and copying it to main Background or original. It is the same way with Paint.net program you use Peter. I'll have to see if my program will save where Paint.net program can open all the layers like Corel does.

Rick

Edit: The AF was supposed to be on the inside rudder surface but the rudder surfaces are a mirror so I had slipped them forward onto the stabs.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:07:54 pm by Azframer »

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #648 on: February 21, 2015, 12:08:58 am »
You could try saving in different formats, and test if any of these open properly. I have had similar issues in the past. Although I own a working Corel version, some textures I found were corrupt and could not be accessed properly. The only workaround I stumbled upon and that worked was saving them through "sagethumbs" as .bmp and than I was able to import them properly again.
Sometimes .dds files were saved in the wrong format, without mipmaps and/or as DXT3 which caused some unwanted grey effects too. I used Paint.NET to open and save them as "X8R8G8B8" first. Closed program and reopened them saving them now as .dds DXT5 with mipmaps and all was fine now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:27:01 am by hd764jvgd843 »

Azframer

« Reply #649 on: February 21, 2015, 04:22:08 am »
Prepar3D makes it look really good, I am confused on what I would need to buy for that. Is it just a online purchase?

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #650 on: February 21, 2015, 12:27:58 pm »
That won't change anything, Azframer. My old FSX looks the same as the P3D v1.4 I got myself as a Christmas present a few years back. The only reason why I prefer one above the other is because a few bugs have been fixed and it is in general more stable.
If you want to brush up your visual experience I found myself that Aime Leclercq's 50cm project (Forest, Rock and Interzon) has the most visual impact, and it is freeware. (https://sites.google.com/site/aimecreations/ALCreations/download)
TreeX, I use, from the same website is also a bliss, compared to the default fsx trees, and it is freeware, too.
A decent world terrain mesh might also help, like FSGenesis. And an additional landclass addon is also nice. I currently use SceneryTech. In case you do not want to spend any bucks you can find regional freeware solutions for latter two on the web.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:45:38 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

Sundog

« Reply #651 on: February 22, 2015, 07:04:22 am »
Can anyone explain why when I engage the AP the plane goes into nose dive until I disable it, and when I disengage it then always has a nose down trim that can't be corrected?

Thanks.

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #652 on: February 26, 2015, 04:56:50 pm »
Orion: concerning Autoflaps.dll

I was experimenting with the extending-time values lately, e.g. reducing them down to 1 second for the leading edge flaps (because they seem to be moving quite fast in reality, and I wanted to see how it affects flight behaviour) when I noticed that soon after the takeoff and after a few maneuvers (when they worked ok), they seem to lock up in neutral position and do not react to any changing AoA as they would normally do. All other flaps seemed to work ok (with unchanged original values). When I changed the other flaps (tailing, aileron and stab) extending-time values down to 1 second, they locked up too.

In this connection I remembered an other strange behaviour, too. Some times during my landing approach, always around speeds of 350kts, manually extending the flaps sometimes happens extremely slow, approximately around 3x/4x times as long it would normally do, barely noticeabe at first (automatic flaps behaviour was ok before that). Other times everything works ok.

Could this incidents be connected to each other, maybe caused by an internal polling interval/refesh rate of the flaps positions in the dll?

Best regards, Peter

Azframer

« Reply #653 on: February 26, 2015, 06:10:53 pm »
350 kts is a bit fast for flaps, pretty sure extra time is due to that alone. I have not even looked into the settings yet on this plane. I've only seen a few air files that were not coded so you could not tell what was what in it.

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #654 on: February 26, 2015, 09:29:05 pm »
Even below 300 kts they take like forever to deploy. I do not know if it's supposed to be like that. Below 200 kts flaps work as expected. In the past, I used flaps (32 deg.) to slow the jet below 300 kts getting ready to deploy the gear below 280 kts. When the gear was fully deployed, around 230 kts, I finally deployed full flaps (45 deg.). Maybe I am wrong?

However the issue concerning flaps locking up as extending-time is reduced is persistent, as described. Orion, please have a look at it.

------------------------------------------

Just finished updating weapons texture for the Mav and Zuni, went for the laser guided versions. Also found the spot, where to paint the guidance system, its on CP_F18_1_T.dds

Enjoy!

Peter
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:34:40 pm by hd764jvgd843 »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #655 on: February 27, 2015, 01:19:49 am »
Gents,

Although the pilot can command for FLAPS HALF and/or FULL, the actual lowering of the Trailing Edge Flaps still happens as a function of Airspeed.  As your airspeed slowly bleeds off, the TEFs slowly lower to adjust.  At about 180, you should have the full 30 deg of TEFs commanded by the HALF setting.  At 150, you should get the full 45 deg if set to FULL.

Hope this helps.

Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #656 on: February 27, 2015, 07:36:37 am »
I just read through the FA-18_ABCD_000 NATOPS, for what it's worth, and both the shore-based procedures and carrier-bourne procedures sections say to set the flaps to HALF, or FULL, after the gear is set DOWN during the break, below 250kts. I am not certain of hte modeling, but perhaps the flaps are being "damaged" when you try to force them down at too high a speed? That may perhaps be why they stick?
I am far from being a Nasal Radiator,  and have only ever dreamed of flying an '18, in the real world, anyway, and all I can offer is information out of the NATOPS one can find on the net. For what it's worth, that's what I found :D
Just my thoughts on the matter. I am certain Jimi is vastly more knowledgeable than I am about it all. I still love this bird with a passion, and strenuously recommend it to anyone who may be interested in FA-18's.
Pat☺

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #657 on: February 27, 2015, 11:35:12 am »
Thanky you all for clarifying on the subject matter! Old and especially wrong habits die hard, as in my case.

For the extending-time, a video was posted, where all flaps are being tested when the bird is stationary on the ground, and you can see that the leading edge flaps are moving really fast from neutral position to fully lowered in about one second. The original fsx value for LEFs was 1.05 sec. so this could be right. TEFs speed is much slower, agreed. But I do not understand why they lock up going back to neutral position, is it desired or a bug?

jason99vmi

« Reply #658 on: February 27, 2015, 04:47:03 pm »
Thanks for a great aircraft! 

Just a quick question.  I'm unable to hook a wire on the Carrier is there a fix for this i'm missing.  I saw there were a couple updates to the air file for 15.2 but wasn't sure if they addressed this.

My brother tried as well but unsuccessfully so it wasn't just poor approaches  :D

Thanks again!

Jason

Azframer

« Reply #659 on: February 28, 2015, 04:50:00 pm »
Jason check your speed on approach you might be coming in to hot, I have done it also and bolstered having to come back around even when I clearly landed short of the wires.

Rick