Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148794 times)

Herbie

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 12:19:07 am »
Hello Jimi!
Here are the other screenshots. One on the ground the other just coming off the Catapult. Herb
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found this out later: I did check with Sludges F-18A+ Basic, In his  F-18 setup is a "PanelA+Basic with a Sound folder containing Betty sounds"
For the F-18A+ FX is a PanelA+FX with a Sound folder containing Betty sounds. Just a pointer. Herb
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Jimi!
Here are the #4 and #5 screenshots. Herb
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:37:09 pm by Herbie »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 07:18:03 pm »
Rog Herb.

Will look into it.  Thanks for the heads up.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

skimmer

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 11:25:14 pm »
Will this take any repaint? Also does it have the sonic boom?  Thank you. I am looking forward to useing it ;D

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 10:17:48 am »
Will this take any repaint? Also does it have the sonic boom?  Thank you. I am looking forward to useing it ;D

Yes, the model will take repaints although you will have to be careful registering them into the Aircraft.cfg file.  You will have to make sure the the texture entries in the Aircraft.cfg has the same file name as the .air file (i.e. FA-18_12.3) in the "sim" area.

No, the model does not come with a shock cone or "sonic boom".

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

skimmer

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 09:48:54 pm »
Thank you jimi,and I'm sure I will. Cant hardly wait till time arrives I when I can sit down and play ;D

skimmer

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 03:55:44 am »
Hey jimi08 ,the time for me to play has arrived. Can you tell me what entries I need to edit for the vLSO program by Navypilot. The aircraft #2 needs your info. Here is the format=
Please and thank you. ;D

Custom aircraft definitions.
 All the properties are required! Aircraft section numbers must be contiguous.
[Aircraft.1]
ATC_model=S3
Type=Viking
Name=S-3B Viking
Slow=8.2
Fast=6.2
AbeamClose=1.0
AbeamWide=1.25

[Aircraft.2]
ATC_model=
Type=
Name=
Slow=
Fast=
AbeamClose=
AbeamWide=

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 12:28:15 pm »
Not sure exactly how this works, as I am not intricately familiar with VLSO, but I think this is what you are looking for.

[Aircraft.2]
ATC_model=FA-18
Type=Hornet
Name=F/A-18 Hornet
Slow=8.2
Fast=6.9
AbeamClose=1.24
AbeamWide=1.51

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

skimmer

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 05:51:41 am »
Thank you jimi08. I had some time to fly today and I loved the way the Hud looked and the plane seems to handle with more ease on turns . I also noted that I had better fps than with the FSX default.During free flight it held alt better also. Very,very nice. I will edit the info you gave me into vLSO. I just wanna say great job and thanks a million ;) ;) :)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 08:56:10 pm »
Thanks Skimmer, I will pass on your kinda words to all those involved as it was definitely a collaborative effort.  Glad you like it!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

dave76

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 09:06:12 pm »
maybe this is not the right section, but do you know if there is a way to ripristinate the original acceleration f18 without reinstalling the acceleration pack from new?????
i tried without success and i cannot fly this, i think beautful, f18 BA.....thanks to who will help me  :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:22:04 pm by dave76 »

Orion

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 01:58:36 am »
Move your current Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\FA-18 folder to a different location, then re-run the Acceleration installer with the repair option.

dave76

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 01:16:16 pm »
i hope it doesn't mess up everything.........anyway thanks orion for your help, really aprreciated  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

kamchatka

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2012, 01:15:45 am »
Hello. V happy to find this forum. Downloaded the upgrade pack and mostly - wow. There's no going back now. A few comments/questions.

Firstly - amazing job guys - has to be said.

A little surprised that Ray Gagnon's v. pretty CAF Snowbirds livery was not part of this download but then we did get some other goodies like the Test Pilot School livery.

You're using the Pitot and Anti-Icing buttons. So I thought before I ask a stupid question, I would check to see what happens at height in cold temperatures. Departed Kodiak (PADQ) with FL38 direct GPS route to Unalaska (PADU) with time and date as of today (so pretty cold up there). Used the Flying Omars configuration. The plane was having real problems beyond about FL25, unable to maintain height, AoA bumping right up and losing speed rapidly. Is this to do with the lack of pitot and anti-ice? With the old MS version of the F18, I had no issues with this kind of route in these temperatures.

Is the ILS crosshair in the HUD for manual guidance only? It doesn't seem that I can lock to it, as per a std runway ILS - or am I missing something?

I've only just recently learned about the aicarriers2 and the fully loaded Nimitz - so have been having a laff with all that stuff.

Seriously, overall you all did something special here. It's like xmas all over again. Thanks

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2012, 10:52:12 am »
Kamchatka,

Thanks for the complements!  I will pass your good words on to those who helped create the aircraft.

Now, about your issue....
Initially, I will say that it does NOT have anything to do with the Pitot Heat.  The pitot heat servers as the enabler for the takeoff trim under certain conditions, none of which permit it to server as the takeoff trim button while airborne.  If not activated when needed, it will give a false indicated airspeed of 48 KTS.  The Engine Anti-Ice serves as the enabler for the Automatic Throttle Control (ATC) function.  The conditions for this function do allow for its use while airborne.  I am not too sure how this effects the throttle performance at the altitudes that you have mentioned.

My best theory of what's causing your problems is the autoflaps function.  As you mentioned, the slower you go while trying to maintain attitude, the higher your AoA will rise.  This in turn causes the flaps to deploy further and further based on their logic.  The more the flaps are deployed, the more drag is created by them, which in turn slows your aircraft even more, causing you to pull back on the stick to maintain attitude which exacerbates the problem even more.

The other problem is that most jet aircraft in FSX has flaws in engine coding, causing their efficiency to diminish as altitude increases, when in reality, engine efficiency is supposed to increase until around 36,000 ft.  This forces many designers (including myself) to make a choice of either having an aircraft that performs well at altitude, but like a rocketship at sea level (i.e. default Hornet), or to have an aircraft that behaves nicely at lower altitudes, but under-powered at higher altitudes.  Since our team's routine doesn't take us above 15,000 ft.  I went with the later.  The 2013 FSXBA variant that I am currently working on has corrected engine coding that allows it to increase in performance as altitude increase.  So at sea level, the jet's maximum airspeed w/ AB is around 1.2 Mach and 1.8 Mach at 36000 ft.

For now, this can probably be remedied by making sure you have sufficient energy while climbing to those altitudes.  Try to keep your AoA below 2 degrees or the flaps will start deploying.

As for the ILS issue, I will have to take a look at it when I get the chance.  I am in the middle of a cross-country move right now, so I will check it out when I am back on my feet.

AI Carriers is a great product for those seeking to do carrier operations.  I highly recommend using it in conjunction with VLSO :)

Thanks again.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

kamchatka

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2012, 09:44:59 pm »
Jimi

Thanks. Yes, I understand that the main interest is going to be under FL15 - even outside of the Blue Angels routines, I guess most of the fun is about carriers, bridges, canyons etc. But I think you are right about the auto-flaps and it makes sense too.  Looking forward to the 2013 variant already, yaay.

One other small point I noticed...if you pause a level flight, releasing pause pushes the nose up significantly. I guess this is something to do with auto-trim. Is there a quick fix I can apply to a config file to stop this?