Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148622 times)

ExNusquam

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2014, 03:02:24 am »
A long time ago, I used FSUIPC throttle curves to map the upper detent of my X-52 to be the split for most aircraft. Makes it very easy to feel where mil power is. However, you can verify this for testing purposes by watching for the huge drop in fuel flow that happens at the very beginning of the afterburner range. The power setting just below this is maximum dry thrust.

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2014, 03:56:59 am »
Nice work. I would love a blower detent...I think I'm going to try to make one.
Pops

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2014, 05:21:15 am »
Awesome feedback guys!  I am definitely taking notes and working on correcting.

Pyro: One thing that will help you with mil is pressing Shift+8 to bring up the gauge that I use for some of my testing.  On the right side you will see the percentage indicators for the throttles.  100% is military.  Anything past is burners.  Hope this helps. 

Thanks again.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

pyroperson87

« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2014, 06:09:30 am »
Thanks Jimi.  Didn't even see that gauge when I was checking out the files.  I'm sure that's a really handy debug tool given the scope of this project. 

Just a quick note, the ATC issues are my own fault, and NOT a problem with the bird.  I have my stick mapped for the Superbug which uses Ctrl+R for ATC and I was using that in combination with the switch in the pit, which led to all of my problems.  Sorry about that!
Pops

flyerkg

« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2014, 08:23:43 am »
Thanks for the inputs Keith!

In reference to your bounces on the landing, what type of approach did you do.  Where you "On Speed" (Amber Donut) during touchdown?  Did you flare before touching down?  How was your speed?  Any additional info will definitely help here.

Also in reference to the ejection?  That's a new one.  What button/key config did you use in order to eject you?  Thanks again.

Hello, I was getting erratic bouncing while parked on the carrier. The crash was after launching with takeoff assist on USS NIMITZ just as the wheels left the flight deck. I performed more test and no longer have the bouncing.

You definitely have to stay ahead of the rates of acceleration and deceleration with throttles.

While performing a full afterburner climb @ 45 degree nose high I hit 57,000 ft before stalling at 55 KIAS the continued with full power descent at approx 3,000 FPM and ran completely out of fuel at 5 minutes.
I previously had shift/ctr/w set for manual ball call for vLSO and changed it to z key. When pressed the canopy blows and then the seat. Poof!

Keith

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2014, 08:38:32 am »
'flyerkg' that will get everyone's attention: "...manual ball call for vLSO and changed it to z key. When pressed the canopy blows and then the seat. Poof!"  ;D
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

pyroperson87

« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2014, 08:48:06 am »
and ran completely out of fuel at 5 minutes

Jimi I can confirm this one.  I wasn't watching the flow rate, but at full burn at about 2000' out of Lemoore, I only got about 20 miles away and was already in the teens percentage wise.  I'll search the NATOPS to see if I can find some fuel flow tables/values.
Pops

pyroperson87

« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2014, 11:22:52 am »
A bit more feedback before I call it quits for the night....stayed up WAYYYY too late so forgive any inadvertent stupidity ::)

-Couldn't see any other jets hook in MP.  Also couldn't see probe, but when I extended my probe, the probe on my buddy's jet extended as well, and vice-versa.

-Lights in MP were backwards.  With some lights off in my jet, other people would see them on, and vice-versa.

-NWS is a real bear. Handling on the boat was incredibly difficult. Is this accurate to the real jet?  I haven't read the legacy NATOPS in so long I don't remember what the turn radius is with NWS in Hi or Lo gains.  Speaking of Hi/Lo, any plans to implement Hi/Lo toggling as in the real aircraft?

-ATC troubles again, really not sure what's going on here and I suspect it is a local problem, but I wanted to see if anyone else was having an issue?  I'm going to keep testing this tomorrow if I have time...really bugging me that I can't figure it out.

-I know I mentioned earlier about the pilots head, but I honestly just thought it was a flaw in the model. However my friend said that his pilot's head looked all over and actually moved the throttle and stick...I guess there really isn't a way to figure out what's going on here, as it's obviously something on my machine.  Anyone else have a pilot that's starting at the left LEX?

Love the various models by the way.  That AA load is just fantastic.
Pops

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2014, 03:11:39 pm »
More good feedback.  In reference to the lights and cosmetics, I will tackle those once I get the flight handling stuff done.

Throttle/Thrust/Fuel Flow is definitely at the center of my efforts right now.  It involves the 1500 series of the .air file which I know very little about.  Trying my best to get up to speed on it.  If anyone has any experience in them, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Until then, I will probably be adjusting the "thrust specific fuel consumption" options in the aircraft.cfg to adjust fuel burn rate, and the "fuel flow gain" to adjust the spooling speed of the engines.  That should resolve a few of these issues for now.  

In regards to the hook and probe in MP.  What this with both players using this variant of the Hornet?  Did both participants have the jet installed?

I will change the Pitch Auto Trim Logic to fix the Pitch/G issue.  That should be a easy fix.

I will adjust the NWS although I set it's caster to NATOPS, which was 75 deg. left or right on NWS HI.  I spent about a day on Friday trying to make it auto transition from HI to LO at speed over 8 knots, but was unsuccessful.  On LO the max caster is 16 degs. left or right.

Don't kill yourself too much with the ATC yet.  I haven't touched it since the 2012 variant.  I'm sure it needs some lovin.  Once I get this throttle thing resolved.  I will knock that out.

The pilot's head should move with aileron, elevator, and throttle inputs.

As far as the ejection seat......gonna have to figure that out.  Maybe it's my setup, but I can't get it to trigger.

Unfortunately I have duty on the ship today so I will not be able to dive back into this until tomorrow evening.  For now, I'll try to do what has worked well for Microsoft and Apple and standardize the day in which I will implement and release the fixes for the jet.  For now, let's make that day every Sunday.  Only exception will be if I have duty on the ship that day, in which case it will be pushed the day before or after (Saturday or Monday).  This will provide expectation management on when to expect updates, and will give me time to research, implement, and test updates.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:39:06 pm by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

pyroperson87

« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2014, 06:50:23 pm »
Yes, both of us had the jet installed and both of us were flying the fleet variant at the time using the training model.

If the NWS is within NATOPS spec, no reason to change it. As for the toggling, I was referring to toggling it via a keystroke rather than have it toggle automatically above a certain speed.  IIRC Hornet NWS is toggled between Hi/Lo gains using the undesignate button on the stick.  With wings extended Hi can only be used as an override mode while holding the undesignate button down, and then with wings folded it can be toggled between Hi/Lo at the discretion of the pilot.  Lo gains can also be used in override mode with the launch bar extended by holding the undesignate button as well.

Thanks for the heads up on ATC.

Is there any reason you can think of that would cause my pilot to permanently stare down at the left LEX?  This also occurs in MP, and everyone flying with the 2014 jet shows up with the same glitch.  Although I haven't edited any files, I'll try to reinstall it.  My guess is that it's just not playing nice with some other addon I have installed.

EDIT: I solved this issue for anyone else having the same problem, it's simply a matter of checking advanced animations.  Doh!  ::)

Ejection seat command is ctrl+w for me, which AFAIK is the default keystroke for toggle water rudders.  I was up so late last night, I spent a good 10 minutes ejecting, and "un-ejecting" and just laughing my ass off at the animation.  :D

I like the idea of standardized releases.  Looking forward to the next version.

Does the 2014 bird make any callbacks to the 2012 jet?  Just quickly glancing over the panel.cfg it doesn't look like it, but I wanted to verify before I uninstalled the 2012.  

Also, would you kindly (anyone ever play BioShock?  ;D ) add the IFLOLS, Trap Gauge, and the PLAT cam gauge in the next release?  If there is a reason that you didn't add it in the first place, then no worries.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 06:54:02 pm by pyroperson87 »
Pops

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2014, 07:19:10 pm »

NWS
The problem I had with the NWS was trying to get "in between" the axis inputs (from the joystick) and the actual commands to the NWS.  I created a few basic formulas to allow it to caster at 75 in some conditions and 16 at other with no luck.  For whatever reason, direct stick input overides what I program.  Once I figure out how to disconnect the two, I will be able to get somewhere.

Pilot
Glad you figured that out and thanks for sharing.

2012 Callback
No nothing in this jet calls back to the 2012 variant.

IFLOLS, Trap & PLAT Gauges
In another server, I was told that the packets being thrown across the net were a little high for this jet, so I took them out in an effort to start troubleshooting that problem.  Once I figure out what the culprit is, I will add them back.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2014, 04:06:59 am »
Jimi,
My 2 cents, mostly on visual bugs:

- Ejection. In fact it's bound to the 'Water Rudder Handle Position' variable, so any key presses or events (as in case of vLSO) which toggle water rudder, will eject. Browsing your mdl files I can see there's certain code related to the (A:WATER RUDDER HANDLE POSITION,percent) variable. Perhaps that code activates some animation?.. It's present in all models except the Clean version.
Also, when ejected, the canopy keeps hanging behind the plane  :)

- Cockpit views (A button). Some strange views of internals of the plane...

- Afterburner. The afterburner effect sequence looks nice and realistic, however on my system it is not coaxial with the nozzles. It's displaced slightly to the upper right corner.

- Launch bar animation. After a catshot it retracts automatically, as well as its switch in the cockpit. No matter what position of the switch was before the shot.

Overall, it is a really beatiful, highly detailed model. And finally, we've got 2048 textures!  8)
Well done!
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2014, 04:34:10 am »
Roger.  Will add to the list.  Thanks.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

pyroperson87

« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2014, 03:20:06 pm »
Jimi I know you said you would be dealing with lights issues after the flight dynamics, but I thought I'd go ahead and put some info together on what I've seen so far for your use when you get to that point.

-Cockpit light switches don't control the correct lighting, or control multiple lights. Interior lighting switches control the interior lighting as well as the external nav lights.

-Nav lights are excessively large

-As mentioned earlier they are reversed in MP so when my switches are off, people see my lights as on, and vice versa.

-Formation light strips show as white when off instead of grey when off (day and night)

Now for Paddles:

Launch bar animation. After a catshot it retracts automatically, as well as its switch in the cockpit. No matter what position of the switch was before the shot.

IRL the launch bar indeed does retract automatically as soon as the bar leaves the shuttle at the end of the cat stroke.  As per the NATOPS, once attached the the shuttle with the holdback bar in place the launch bar switch is placed in the RETRACT position and it is held in place by the tension on the cat.  At the end of the shot it pops back into the up (stowed) position.  The gear WILL NOT go up with the launch bar down.  This is designed to reduce wear on the hydraulic seals on the launch bar.  That being said, the switch shouldn't automatically jump to the retract position if you left it in extend so good job catching that one.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:54:23 pm by pyroperson87 »
Pops

Victory103

« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2014, 04:01:25 pm »
jimi,
Any major changes from the model as it was designed for CP? After the disbandment, kept all the models including this one hoping you would be able to continue work and release it (it seems that day is here)! Will the textures work from the CP model on this one?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS