Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1155911 times)

Johan

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #1215 on: May 27, 2016, 09:18:17 pm »
Thanks Pat, that covers my concerns. Great insight from you too in this forum. Thank you,

Johan

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1216 on: May 28, 2016, 08:20:59 pm »
Glad I was some help :D
Enjoy this plane, I sure do!
Pat☺

Orion

« Reply #1217 on: May 28, 2016, 09:48:29 pm »
In case you were still wondering about the automatic throttle control, Johan:

Some notes on Automatic Throttle Control (ATC):
  • In addition to AUTO_THROTTLE_ARM (Shift+R by default) you can use the ATC button on the hard to click side of the throttle
  • Approach mode and cruise mode are completely independent of powered approach and up and away modes used for the flight controls (conditions below)
  • Approach mode ATC is only engaged with the flap switch in HALF or FULL and the trailing edge flaps extended at least 27°
  • Cruise mode ATC is only engaged with the flap switch in AUTO
  • Approach mode ATC will attempt to hold on speed (8.1 degrees) AoA
  • Cruise mode ATC will hold knots true airspeed
  • Normal disengagement conditions (either mode)
    • Pressing the ATC button or AUTO_THROTTLE_ARM (Shift+R by default)
    • Either throttle position differs from position at which ATC was engaged by more than 10% on the throttle axis
  • Automatic disengagement conditions (approach mode):
    • Flap AUTO up
    • Trailing edge flap deflection less than 27°
    • Weight on wheels
    • FCS reversion to MECH or to DEL in any axis (i.e. spin recovery switch)
    • Left and right throttle positions differ by more than 10% of throttle axis
    • Bank angle exceeds 70°
  • Automatic disengagement conditions (cruise mode):
    • Flaps HALF or FULL
    • FCS reversion to MECH or to DEL in any axis (i.e. spin recovery switch)
    • Left and right throttle positions differ by more than 10% of throttle axis
    • Weight on wheels
  • When either mode is engaged, changing the flap switch between AUTO and HALF or FULL automatically disengages the system.
  • If the system is disengaged for any reason, it remains disengaged until reengagement is initiated by the pilot.

Also an important passage from NATOPS:

Quote from: 8.1.11 ATC Approach Mode Technique
The technique required for an ATC approach mode differs from a manual approach in that all glideslope corrections are made by changing aircraft attitude. Since this technique violates the basic rule that altitude/glideslope is primarily controlled by the throttle, practice is required to use ATC.

You can also map a physical button to the AUTO_THROTTLE_ARM event if you want through the FSX control assignments settings.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:50:52 pm by Orion »

Johan

« Reply #1218 on: May 30, 2016, 05:39:51 pm »
Hi Orion,

Thank you so much for adding your comments and recommendations. Yes, I have assigned the AUTO_THROTTLE_ARM event to a button on my Warthog and it works great. PA to the Carrier has become so smooth and much easier with all the needles in the right position.
I do have a question about the flap switch:
This switch (attached pic) doesn't seem to function. It has only 2 positions, up and middle, so there is no option for what you describe as "AUTO and HALF or FULL" which would require 3 positions. Toggling this switch doesn't do anything to the plane flaps. The same switch on the base F/A 18 or the Sludge had 3 positions and was physically moving the flaps.
I might be missing something...
Thanks for your comments back when you have a moment.

Johan

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1219 on: May 30, 2016, 08:28:57 pm »
That switch has 3 positions. Fully up=Auto, 1/2=HALF, down=Full.
Out of habit, I frequently use the F6 key when I'm doing an overhead recovery, ship or shore, although I do have a button on my joystick mapped to Flaps Increase, Incremental. Using the F6 lets me do it in one key-press vice two on the joystick. I tend to use the joystick button for...ahem...slower planes. Pretty much every other plane the sim has :D Of course, and I seldom fly tubes, I don't do overhead recoveries in  a 737! I suppose I could, but they're not really made for the G.
ANYway, I believe, although I don't use the switch myself, that you can select FULL with one click on the switch, IE: You can go from AUTO to FULL in one click. I believe. I may well be wrong. You just have to put the cursor in the right spot. I'll check it when I go flying today. Carrier practice never ends :)
Just so you know, the NATOPS calls for FULL flaps for carrier and shore overhead recoveries both, and HALF for take-off. Those are the settings I always use myself, and they work quite satisfactorally(sp??).
Hope all that rambling helps a little :)
Pat☺
Late note: I forgot, that Switch is eye-candy only. It actually doesn't DO anything. And yes, ypu were right, it only has AUTO and FULL positions, no HALF. Again, though, it actualy DOES nothing at all.
Pat☺
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:07:00 pm by PhantomTweak »

Johan

« Reply #1220 on: May 30, 2016, 10:03:28 pm »
Late note: I forgot, that Switch is eye-candy only. It actually doesn't DO anything. And yes, ypu were right, it only has AUTO and FULL positions, no HALF. Again, though, it actualy DOES nothing at all.
Pat☺

Hi Pat,

I appreciate your help and response. I am glad you added the "Late note" above, which confirms what I experience in the cockpit: this switch doesn't do anything. I just needed to have that clarification in case I was missing something. I have a flap lever on my Warthog with 3 positions, that is what I use to move the flaps.
Thank you very much,

Johan

Mattieduck

« Reply #1221 on: June 03, 2016, 02:17:37 pm »
any raaf textures for this aircraft and is there a b/d model

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1222 on: June 04, 2016, 01:05:52 am »
Mattieduck,

I know there are a few for the C model, not too sure for the D.  You can find them here.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d6rlapx85nw4hms/FA-18+TexturePack.zip

Hope this helps.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #1223 on: June 04, 2016, 01:47:36 pm »
any raaf textures for this aircraft and is there a b/d model

Hi Mattieduck,
there is no official D model of the current FSXBA version released, but you can get working FSXBA D versions from this mod, based on older releases:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,10839.0.html

Best regards,
Peter

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1224 on: June 13, 2016, 09:04:44 pm »
Little late, I know, I just wanted to say that the aircraft Peter linked to are very, very good aircraft, and fly very well. As well as looking darn good :)
Just my 2 cents worth...
Pat☺

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1225 on: June 14, 2016, 09:30:53 pm »
A quick question about the v16.1, if I may:
Does this wonderful, amazing, plane support the FSDT Ground Mapping Radar payware add-on? I want to be sure before I blow my $5.00. It's not that much in the scheme of things but I'm so broke, I can't even pay attention. It will be the second payware I've purchased, ever. FSX-SE was the other, which has been worth every penny.
If nothing else, it lets me fly this fantastic aircraft :D

Have fun all!
Pat☺

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1226 on: June 16, 2016, 11:21:39 pm »
Hey Pat,

Pretty sure this is the same radar that has been included in our jet for some time now.  Simply pull up the radar on the MFD by pressing the button next to the RDR entry and then selecting the A/G master mode by pressing the A/G button on the left side of the left MFD.

Hope this helps.

Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1227 on: June 17, 2016, 08:40:17 am »
Thank you, Jimi!
I get it now. And all this time I thought those buttons were for TacPac or just eye-candy! Thank you for the help, and for saving me 5 bucks :D
I need to dig up a user's manual for it, or just a post on how it works. What does what represent, how to interpert the HUD symbology and so on. No problem, though, I'm pretty good at finding manuals and such :)

Thanks again for the help. This plane just gets more and more amazing every time I fly it.
Never stop making it better, though :D
Pat☺

snowbird13

« Reply #1228 on: June 17, 2016, 05:10:26 pm »
Maybe it's just me but with the new textures like the Finnish Air Force and RAAF 30th Anniversary ones show the VFA-136 textures instead.

Rocco31alpha

« Reply #1229 on: July 04, 2016, 07:45:03 pm »
Hello pilots!  ;)
Can anybody help me? I installed my Hornet 16.1 and everything works. After installing the Swiss Air Force from this page, I see that the light is coming from the opposite side of the sunlight. It is like on the image.. What did I wrong? It is the same, when I start the flight. In the flight the cockpit, the hook and the gear are completely black.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:09:19 pm by Rocco31alpha »