Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1155528 times)

Dman

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #1020 on: September 24, 2015, 03:57:55 pm »
As far as the effects went with me... I copied the effects into the effects folder from the training bird.. It never resolved it.. I was missing the burners, LEX vapor, and the transonic shock wave... I ended up going back to build 15,2 for now... Maybe when he goes to the auto installer, it will fix it for me.. Let me know if someone finds another solution..

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1021 on: September 24, 2015, 05:03:06 pm »
As Pat mentioned, I am in the middle of a move to Hawaii.  Anticipated arrival date of my Household Goods (HHG) is 28 OCT, so will not have my gaming rig until then.

As for a few things mentioned...
Hello.     I was wondering why the ailerons and elevators movement for roll is so small?    I know it's something small but I have lived the last 13 years seeing hornets everyday over my house, so I can point out alot of things with the legacy hornet and super hornet lol.    also, I downloaded the newest version of the hornet and the flaps and leading edge flaps dont move with AOA like they did before and the burner animation is backwards, the burners are full when i'm only in first stage, and they don't show up when i'm in full burner.     Either way I love this addon, was just wondering if you were planning on changing those things, especially the animation for roll lol.
-Might don't have updated the Windows C++ framework as mentioned by ORION a few pages back?  They will not work unless you update that.  The Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 can be updated at (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145)

-Effects:  you got me on this one.... all effects were working that last I check.  Please keep in mind that some of the effects like vapes and shock cone do take environmentals into account such as ambient temperature.  The colder it is out, the more it will take (i.e. more G, higher speed) it will take to trigger the effect.

The problem with information like that is there are so many different joysticks and joystick set-ups that it's different for everyone. What I would like to see is how effective the pitch response is based on js displacement and have a gauge in the actual plane that allows us to adjust the respoonse gains based on our own js set-ups/response.
-Command mapping:  I know ORION has the curves in his possession showing the approximate G commanded per stick displacement.  Maybe he can post when he gets the chance.

Looking forward to getting back to work on this once I get set up in Hawaii.

Will need everyone's help and help me keep a change/fix log so I can track and implement all discovered fixes in the next release.  Thanks!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

joshloar10

« Reply #1022 on: September 24, 2015, 06:12:44 pm »
Yes. I do understand that the FCS limits the control movements the faster you go haha.   with this one.  After you get above around 10 kts.  It limits it to where they only move like 1 or 2 inches in either direction. Where as in real life. I see them flyover my house turning onto final, so they are going around landing speed, which i believe is around 150kts.  Could be wrong though, but its definately faster then 10 kts. But when they roll in on final, the control surfaces are moving almost full diflection.  It seems that the limiter is too pronounced on this one.  Just look at any video of an f-18 and you will see that the control surfaces do move quite a bit for roll until getting close to mach.    I hate to bother anyone about this but im an attention to detail kind if person haha.  Take your time Jimi.  I would just change it myself,  but i have no idea how to do it lol.  Also i forgot to mention this,  i have tacpac, and when i go to play multiplayer with this jet, it kicks me off saying unauthorized aircraft modifications,  is there any way to fix that myself or is it just incompatible with being flown while tacpack is installed.

Azframer

« Reply #1023 on: September 24, 2015, 07:18:12 pm »
Hello.     I was wondering why the ailerons and elevators movement for roll is so small?    I know it's something small but I have lived the last 13 years seeing hornets everyday over my house, so I can point out alot of things with the legacy hornet and super hornet lol.    also, I downloaded the newest version of the hornet and the flaps and leading edge flaps dont move with AOA like they did before and the burner animation is backwards, the burners are full when i'm only in first stage, and they don't show up when i'm in full burner.     Either way I love this addon, was just wondering if you were planning on changing those things, especially the animation for roll lol.

Everything said except for Burner has been happening for me the same way and had just planned on being a spectator because I was thinking it was just me.
Also if I puts flaps down they would go up automatically when I reached the speed required for them to retract on their own, now they are stuck down unless you pull them up. At lower speed flaps used to act with ailerons as well for rolls and they no longer do that.
I am not trying to be a pain, just was trying to tell what I am seeing and feeling.

Rick

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1024 on: September 24, 2015, 08:47:49 pm »
Mr. DMan and Mr. Azframer, sirs,
May I enquire which model (C or D?), and which loadout you all are using? It matters for the whole Effects thing...
As to the "blue cockpit", I recall reading about that someplace. I'll see if I can find it again.

As to the whole aileron thing, all that I haven't a clue over. You DID install that new Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 Jimi mentioned? I know it really matters a great deal...
Make sure it's the 32-bit not the 64 bit version (althogh having both installed works also, I discovered...).
I am just trying to think of possible reasons why, and thinking isn't really my forte...  ;D

I BELIEVE (notice I didn't say "think"!) that you can't use TacPac with this particular version (v15.6). I believe I read that someplace in here too. I will look further for that also. My memory suxxors.

Great day and fun flights to all!
Pat☺

Dman

« Reply #1025 on: September 24, 2015, 09:36:16 pm »
Hey Phantom.. The only model I really fly is the C Training variant..

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1026 on: September 25, 2015, 09:46:53 pm »
The only model I really fly is the C Training variant..
Well, heck. There goes THAT theory...

Do you try to see the effects higher up or low? As to the AB effects, I haven't a clue. They work fine on mine at all altitudes. But I know you have to be pretty low for the LEX vapor effect to show up. I tested them at 1,000'MSL (over the ocean near Whidbey, to be exact) and they showed up great. I accelerated to about 350KIAS, then turn into a tight bank and PULL. About 5 or 6 G's. I get wingtip trails at any altitude, but the lex vapor needs low altitude and a hard pull, resulting in a pretty high AOA. They start to show up at about 4.5 or 5 G, about 200KIAS or less but a good hard steady pull. I don't know the AOA, being in external view, and during the turn I can't see the HUD anyway, because of the GLOC set-up in FSX. Where you "black out" at certain G. See the first picture below...It's showing the LEX and wing-tip vapor in operation. Not a really high AOA, about 15-20°.
The second shows the contrail, wing-tip vapor, and AB's in operation, up about 30'000' MSL. Kinda a high AOA maneuver  ;D

As to why they aren't showing on yours I can't think. You don't change the Panel or the Gauges therein at all? All the gauges are IN the panel folder? They should be from the download file. You don't put all the gauge folders, like the FX folder or anythng, into the FSX\Gauges folder do you? You just leave them in the Panel folder?
Again, trying to think of possibilities.

Hope something jogs a thought loose in my peabrain eventually...
Pat☺

Dman

« Reply #1027 on: September 26, 2015, 12:12:55 am »
I know.. I'm clueless too... like i said 15.2 works fine.. I'm happy with the continuing development of the legacy.. maybein the future with the installer it will install correctly...

Azframer

« Reply #1028 on: September 26, 2015, 05:00:05 am »
ok that has fixed the texture problem but now however in the d model in an external view the cockpit is blue
The blue cockpit is caused by texture CP_F18_4_N.dds, the way it is all packaged up with this version it is harder to stop on the fleet D model. I had been creating a new folder and putting it in the new folder to isolate it from the D model and copying it to all the C model texture folders because it is needed with all the C models.
Not everyone has this problem with blue cockpit. So with all texture coming from one shared folder is going to make it tough to isolate from the D model.

Rick

Orion

« Reply #1029 on: September 26, 2015, 10:05:50 am »
Hello.     I was wondering why the ailerons and elevators movement for roll is so small?    I know it's something small but I have lived the last 13 years seeing hornets everyday over my house, so I can point out alot of things with the legacy hornet and super hornet lol.    also, I downloaded the newest version of the hornet and the flaps and leading edge flaps dont move with AOA like they did before and the burner animation is backwards, the burners are full when i'm only in first stage, and they don't show up when i'm in full burner.     Either way I love this addon, was just wondering if you were planning on changing those things, especially the animation for roll lol.
-Might don't have updated the Windows C++ framework as mentioned by ORION a few pages back?  They will not work unless you update that.  The Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 can be updated at (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145)

As to the whole aileron thing, all that I haven't a clue over. You DID install that new Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 Jimi mentioned? I know it really matters a great deal...
Make sure it's the 32-bit not the 64 bit version (althogh having both installed works also, I discovered...).

As both Jimi and Pat have suggested, ensure you have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) installed (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145).  Even if you think you have it already, it won't hurt to reinstall it.  The FCS will not work (i.e. it will be completely inoperable) without it.  Also make sure that you allowed the HornetFCS.dll gauge to run when you selected the aircraft.  If you don't see the dialog, close the sim, remove the Trusted section from the fsx.CFG file, restart the sim and try loading the aircraft again.

The problem with information like that is there are so many different joysticks and joystick set-ups that it's different for everyone. What I would like to see is how effective the pitch response is based on js displacement and have a gauge in the actual plane that allows us to adjust the respoonse gains based on our own js set-ups/response.
-Command mapping:  I know ORION has the curves in his possession showing the approximate G commanded per stick displacement.  Maybe he can post when he gets the chance.

The physical displacement will undoubtedly differ depending on the hardware setup (like, the Saitek X-65 doesn't even move), but once it's translated to an X-Y position in the simulator, the FCS will make the jet respond identically for a given input.  The following are functions of stick input (x axis of the graphs) on the interval [-100,100] used to determine desired flight characteristics for powered approach (AoA), up and away (pitch rate, G force, and high AoA), and roll rate.  Powered approach is when flaps are set to half or full and true airspeed is less than 240 knots.  Up and away is at all other times (i.e. greater than or equal to 240 KTAS or flaps auto (up)), except when on the ground, obviously.

Powered Approach AoA:

Up and Away Pitch Rate:

Up and Away G force:

Up and Away high AoA:

Roll rate:

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:17:26 am by Orion »

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1030 on: September 27, 2015, 09:09:54 pm »
Hey, Mr. Orion!
Long time no see :)
Always good to see ya again.

Thank you for the info, it helps a lot!
Pat☺

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1031 on: September 28, 2015, 09:49:44 pm »
I am wondering if it's possible to make a 3-tank version for long Nav practice? I am pretty ssure that only the G model (I think, anyway) is called the 5-Wet Rhino, with 5 tanks as a refueling role, and MAYBE the E-model has a 5-Wet version, but I am pretty sure the 3-tanks version for longer-range missions is utilized for the C and D models...
I am also well aware that the more fuel, the less ordnance.
I know how to make the aircraft.cfg for this, I am wondering if a whole new model needs to be made, or if it''s just a new texture.
If it IS just a new texture, could one of you super-painters do this some time when you have the time? If you want, you make the texture, and I'll do the aircraft.cfg for it, but feel free to do both if you choose.
It's just something I would like for longer flights, is all. I think it's be fun to try BFM in one too. Or you could mix an A_A and/or A-G plane with the extra tanks for longer range...?

Just a thought. I don't see that it would have to be ALL the current paints, just one or maybe two, if it's not too much trouble...
Pat☺

Victory103

« Reply #1032 on: September 30, 2015, 03:38:23 am »
PhantomTweak, a more common load would be the "double ugly" config, ctr tank and right inboard to allow the field of view for the ATFLIR mounted on the left cheek. I have read a 3 tank legacy Hornet is very draggy, using most of the extra gas to climb to cruise alt. Also the legacy Hornet is not plumbed to carry 5 tanks. The 5-Wet Rhino is used on the E/F and depends on air wing SOP plus how much organic tanking you need. Other air wing "recovery tankers" are only hauling the ARS (buddy store, 2k give) around. I have not see any pics of a G in the tanker config, waste of an asset I'm sure.

Sorry, the legacy Bugs are known to be "short-legged", practice your AAR skills.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #1033 on: September 30, 2015, 11:58:34 am »
As far as I know, a new model needs to be build in order to change any of the visibles like tanks, weapons, etc. but as we do not have the sources of the model files anymore, which got lost somewhere down the road, we are stuck with what we currently have, which is not too bad, after all.

The CS version is currently the only way one can attach tree tanks or asymmetric loadouts to a legacy hornet for this sim, but you will have to edit the aircraft.cfg manually for the selected loadouts to match properly.

By the by, did you get my PM concerning the MOIs, Pat?
Peter

ExNusquam

« Reply #1034 on: September 30, 2015, 08:19:19 pm »
I have not see any pics of a G in the tanker config, waste of an asset I'm sure.
Never underestimate the ability to miss-use something. The story of the ES-3A:

From this Book
In addition to their warning and reconnaissance roles, and their extraordinarily stable handling characteristics and range, Shadows were a preferred recovery tanker (aircraft that provide refueling for returning aircraft).
They Averaged over 100 flight hours per month while deployed. Excessive utilization caused earlier than expected equipment replacement when Naval aviation funds were limited, making them an easy target for budget-driven decision makers.