Author Topic: After reinstallation with all the new FSDT Installers = no buildings  (Read 7122 times)

G.Bosak

on every FSDT, Flightbeam and Cloud9 Airport (ENBR)

Addonmanager-status "active" for every airport; Version: 2.9.0.3

there is no anti-virus engine running on my machine causing that.  ;)

deleted the 2 entries from the trusted section (fsx.cfg) to rebuild them

deleted bglmanx.dll and all *.dat files in fsx mainfolder followed by reinstallation of standalone addonmanager, without success.

there is just one instance of addon-manager installed (i checked this too)

now i am running out of ideas. :(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
The Addon Manager is not obviously a problem, since it's running so, your problem doesn't have anything to do with the Addon Manager, but you need to have BOTH the Addon Manager AND the Couatl menus for a scenery to be working.

Do you have BOTH the Addon Manager AND the Couatl menus under the "Addons" menu ?

G.Bosak

The Addon Manager is not obviously a problem, since it's running so, your problem doesn't have anything to do with the Addon Manager, but you need to have BOTH the Addon Manager AND the Couatl menus for a scenery to be working.

Do you have BOTH the Addon Manager AND the Couatl menus under the "Addons" menu ?

Hi Umberto,

thx for the reply. Couatl seems to be missing. But shouldn't this get automatically reinstalled by installing any of your sceneries?

What do i have to do to get my sceneries working again?

G.Bosak

Got it solved!

One of my last steps after installation with the newest installers was to exclude airports in the

couatlAddons.ini

in the process of troubleshooting it wasn't enough to delete the couatl folder and reinstall GSX.

I had to remove the empty statement "disable_on_airports" to get couatl.exe visible in FSX menu and all my sceneries working again

as it is written here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=6733.msg57980#msg57980

kudos to Aaron Myers

*EDIT*

@Umberto:

This can't happen by using the product normally, since our installer puts "disable_on_airports = NONE" when installing, so the list is not empty, it can only happen by hand-editing the file, and then removing all the airports AND the default "NONE" item.

The consequences of wrong editing, my fault was to leave it empty as seen here:

disable_on_airports =

should be mentioned in the GSX manual. As this part of the "virtuali" folder isn't affected by reinstallation of GSX.

just an idea. It took me several hours to find the problem.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:02:09 pm by G.Bosak »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
The consequences of wrong editing, my fault was to leave it empty as seen here:

disable_on_airports =

should be mentioned in the GSX manual. As this part of the "virtuali" folder isn't affected by reinstallation of GSX.

just an idea. It took me several hours to find the problem.

We haven't mentioned it, because this problem has already been fixed after it was reported, the current release of the program (Couatl.exe in this case) shouldn't crash even with that error in the disable_on_airports line.

Are you sure you are really using the most current version of the installer ?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:48:59 pm by virtuali »

G.Bosak

Are you sure you are really using the most current version of the installer ?

I installed the GSX v1.6.0.0

But maybe there were more then one issue which prevented couatl to start:

As i took the chance to renew all yours installers you have made in may/june i had both old version and new version beside installed according  

to the control panel/software menu and i had 3 different instances of addonmanager.

So i deleted all installers again (old and new, deactivated all sceneries to exclude any activation errors and deinstalled all addonmanagers) After that i startet with the new ones only.
Finished the installation-marathon with the latest GSX, without success:

The line was like mentioned before.

disable_on_airports =

One more question on excluding:

if i ever try to exclude airports again, should the format look like:

disable_on_airports = EDDF EDDM EGLL

or

disable_on_airports = (EDDF EDDM EGLL)

as far as i  remember i used brackets.

One last sentence regarding the addonmanager:

Is it possible to make a routine and button to (de)activate all installed sceneries at once in future?
Would make any kind of migration much easier, just for users who support FSDT steady in buying every scenery.

Btw. the affirmation-process after esellerate-errors is annoying, too

i flashed my bios some months ago, without deactivating all my FSDT/Flightbeam, Cloud9 sceneries. (hope this will never happen again  ::))

This activation-error forced 4time window click interaction for each scenery .

I think there should be a smarter way to face this event.

regards

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:37:02 am by G.Bosak »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I installed the GSX v1.6.0.0

But maybe there were more then one issue which prevented couatl to start:

As i took the chance to renew all yours installers you have made in may/june i had both old version and new version beside installed according  

to the control panel/software menu and i had 3 different instances of addonmanager.

None of this matters, I've spoke with the developer and, he told me the fix was made, and it prevented Couatl to CRASH when such problem was encountered. The fix prevented it to crash, but it made it quitting gracefully so, you wouldn't get a crash, but still the program ended, so the end result for you would have been the same: no buildings and no GSX working.

The log file would indicate the reason for the quit was because there was an error in the disable_on_airports line, but you had to enable logging to verify this.

The issue is not so simple: we use a standard library to parse .INI files, and empty space after an = sign it's not legal, but this library generates an exception in a way that can't be stopped. So, we are going to modify the standard library itself, in order to catch these situations.

We'll have a new Couatl.exe online very soon, which will not quit even if the .INI contains such errors.

if i ever try to exclude airports again, should the format look like:

disable_on_airports = EDDF EDDM EGLL

or

disable_on_airports = (EDDF EDDM EGLL)

as far as i  remember i used brackets.

Page 19 of the GSX manual, where disable_on_airports is discussed, have a sample line with Icao codes separated with spaces, no brackets.

Is it possible to make a routine and button to (de)activate all installed sceneries at once in future?

I've already thought about this and, also making the "Backup RegKey" button saving multiple .REG file for ALL the activated products.

i flashed my bios some months ago, without deactivating all my FSDT/Flightbeam, Cloud9 sceneries. (hope this will never happen again  ::))

There's no need to deactivate sceneries before flashing the bios. The only time when you need to deactivate sceneries, is when you plan major hardware components, because this will consume an activation, and the deactivation prevents that.

But, even if you see the "machine mismatch" message after flashing the bios, it doesn't mean this is going to consume an activation, the system is able to figure it out is the same computer, so it will ask confirmation for the activation, but it's not going to consume an activation.

This activation-error forced 4time window click interaction for each scenery .

I'm sure that flashing the bios was a way more cumbersome operation in itself, than having to click to confirm each scenery activation, and you surely don't keep flashing the bios so often.

I think there should be a smarter way to face this event.

The smarter way should be the bios of your mainboard shouldn't change its hardware id just because it has been flashed, because it's not that every bios flashing results in a request for reactivation, it only happens with some mainboard and bios releases, the activation system is NOT "designed" to check your bios release.

G.Bosak

I've already thought about this and, also making the "Backup RegKey" button saving multiple .REG file for ALL the activated products.

Would be a nice feature.

but, even if you see the "machine mismatch" message after flashing the bios

sadly haven't stored the screenshot i took that long.

this was more like: "esellerate error: ####[number]" reactivation was necessary each time.

And this happened 3 times meanwhile as far as i remember

2 times flashing bios P8Z68vPro (not really uncommon i think, maybe it is a UEFI thing?)
one time after installing a virtual vpn driver, so this issue is not related to bios flashes only.

the activation system is NOT "designed" to check your bios release.

maybe it is not designed to do this, but from my experience i have to say, it does. 
And it does when i least expect. ;)

And each time it happens you get a lot of fsx error messages to interact with (4 clicks per scenery). The more sceneries you have the more you have to click, simple math.
This is something that is not happening to me only, friends noticed the same.

regards

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
this was more like: "esellerate error: ####[number]" reactivation was necessary each time.

It was probably "esellerate error -25007, machine mismatch"

2 times flashing bios P8Z68vPro (not really uncommon i think, maybe it is a UEFI thing?)
one time after installing a virtual vpn driver, so this issue is not related to bios flashes only.

Flashing bios might be understandable, installing a virtual vpn driver, it means that driver is bugged, because I use a vpn driver and I switch it on/off and never seen that message.

maybe it is not designed to do this, but from my experience i have to say, it does. 

It does on your system, if it did it on every system each time bios is flashed or network drivers are installed, we would have several HUNDREDS of reports by now on the forum.

And each time it happens you get a lot of fsx error messages to interact with (4 clicks per scenery). The more sceneries you have the more you have to click, simple math.

I think this could be probably streamlined a bit, meaning that if you have several sceneries installed, they might be reactivated all together after you confirm to activate the first one. This can be done.

But if your network drivers are bugged, and if your updated bios decides to tell Windows that you have a different mainboard (both things shouldn't happen, and do not happen to the majority of users) you will still have to accept reactivation at least once.

In any case, as I've said, these kind of reactivations will not count as major changes, and will not consume an activation.

G.Bosak

[

I think this could be probably streamlined a bit, meaning that if you have several sceneries installed, they might be reactivated all together after you confirm to activate the first one. This can be done.

Hi Umberto,

thank you for your reply.

I think you've missunderstood my words. I didn't count the clicks in the reactivation-process, but the clicks
i have to interact with FSX the first time after the esellerate error.

It says:

scenery isn't working anymore
couatl isn't....
addonmanager......

and you have to affirm all this dialogues for each scenery, maybe that could be fixed in any general way, too? Beside a general (de)activation for all of your products,
which would be very helpful.

And just for clarifying, i really appreciate your and FSDTs work, it is a blessing in the market. My intention isn't to discredit you or your work in any way. Sometimes i get the impression
you tend to take well-intentioned customer feedback based on e.g. my cranky computer, personally.  ;)