Author Topic: FSX freezes at PHNL  (Read 4463 times)

freded

FSX freezes at PHNL
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:41:40 am »
Recently, since installing the FSDT PHNL scenery, FSX has been freezing for periods of anything from a few seconds (not a new thing) to several minutes, viz. as long as an hour. Often the freeze converts to a CTD.

Checking with Windows Task manager during a freeze, I find that FSX is using from 97 - 100% of CPU processes and that FSX's usage of "Memory (Private Working Set)" is slowly increasing. Occasionally if I'm patient, the mem. usage rises to a level at which FSX unfreezes.

Today was a particularly bad example of this: I was starting a takeoff from Rwy 8L when the freeze began. CPU usage rose to 100%, memory got to 680,384 K and, to top it all, the mouse froze! I eventually managed to close FSX...

Has anyone got an idea of what my problem is caused by? Perhaps it isn't due to PHNL but, although I've had freezes before, they've never been as bad as this.

Regards,

Mark
Regards,

Mark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX freezes at PHNL
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:27:45 am »
The only thing sure, it's that is not related in any way to PHNL.

A scenery can't cause a memory leak in FSX like the only you are describing, and our sceneries even less so, since they are handled externally to FSX by the Couatl.exe module, which means IF there was something wrong with the scenery, the high cpu usage and memory allocation should be seen in the Couatl.exe module, not in FSX.EXE, there IS a reason why we use an external .EXE, so it won't take any memory from FSX for its own logic, and it won't be able to crash FSX too.

Most likely cause, you are using a resource intensive airplane addon or another addon with an in-process module running inside FSX and this, *combined* with the usage of a detailed airport, is exhausting your resources.

The first obvious test, should be using PHNL with a default airplane and notice if the crashes are still there.

freded

Re: FSX freezes at PHNL
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:52:07 am »
Thanks for that, Umberto. I'll try your suggestions

I was using PlanG while FSX was running but that is my usual procedure. Since restarting FSX after the last freeze, I have not run PlanG and the freezes are shorter. I also run REX Weather Engine with FSX.

So I'll try without either and with a default aircraft and report back to the forum...

Regards,

Mark (or should I call myself 'Marco'?  ;) )
Regards,

Mark