Author Topic: Ground Power Units  (Read 8507 times)

Ghostrider114

Ground Power Units
« on: May 22, 2012, 03:55:31 am »
I just got the GSX and I have to say it is awesome, the only problem is that if my plane doesn't have an APU, the batteries die before the ground crews are done servicing my plane, and I can't start my engines or do anything else after they're done.  At real airports this is handled by Ground Power Unit trucks, would it be possible to add them as support vehicles in GSX?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Ground Power Units
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:30:46 pm »
You might have a look at this thread here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=6601.0

bobbyjoh

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:08:55 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Although the OP was talking about preventing the battery going dead, there is another interesting point.  Many airlines have instituted programs to reduce the use of APU fuel and instead hook up to ground power.  For example a good friend of mine has participated in a program for United Airlines where they inspect planes siting on the tarmac at gates that are running their APU's instead of using ground power.

It would be interesting if GSX could have a function to use ground power either from the gate or a ground unit.  Have your team had a chance to look into this type of new function.

Said it on many post, but will say it again GSX is just great.  The only problem I have with GSX is spending too much time in spot view watching the ground crews doing their things LOL  really love GSX

Bob

Ghostrider114

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:09:35 pm »
You might have a look at this thread here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=6601.0

I appreciate the suggestion, and actually the folks at Simv suggested that too, but as someone who strives to make their flying as realistic as possible, that feels like cheating.  Would a GPU really be that hard to implement?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 04:38:02 am »
Probably reasonably easy with default airplanes, but very difficult with complex 3rd party addons with their custom elettrical simulations, like the pmdg, but they usually come with their own power units anyway.