Author Topic: Your computer has run out of available memory  (Read 27450 times)

Need-To-Know

Your computer has run out of available memory
« on: May 11, 2012, 02:42:26 am »
Not saying it is GSX fault but would like to know where to start on fixing this message.

I just bought GSX and installed it. Looks great.

However I have never made it past Catering and Fuel. FSX locks and says:

If I do not start GSX I can make out fine with out the lockup.

Scenario:

• I loaded up a default FSX airport
   • 737 ngx SPc
   • FSCrew for ngx
   • Accu feel
   • UT2
   • Ezdok and TIR5

If I change to the outside view and then back to the cockpit the message/lock up happens.

I do run some tweaks to my fsx.cfg

Maybe the relevant ones:

[BufferPools]
   Poolsize=0
   [GRAPHICS]
   AC_SELF_SHADOW=1
   AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
   AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
   WideViewAspect=True
   TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1700
   TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800
   TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096
   TextureMaxLoad=12
        GROUND_SHADOWS=0
        HIGHMEMFIX=1

My system:
   ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3Gig video card w/ eyefinity 3 screens
   i7 2600k sandy bridge @ 4.8
   ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0),
    CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB,
   COOLER MASTER 1000w Gold Series,
    2x -WD 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb 64mb cache/ Raid 0,
   Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Thanks Virtuali for all of the great support and communications you provide. #1 in the FSX world
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:29:55 am by Need-To-Know »

StevenK

Re: Your computer has run out of available memory
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:17:42 am »
try changing the bufferpools "poolsize" to 50000000 that should help
Steven Kiberton
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | AMD Bulldozer FX 6100 3.3Ghz | Coolermaster Hyper TX3 | ASUS Motherboard M5A 78L-M | 16GB DDR3 RAM | EVGA Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1gb PCI Express DDR3 DVI HDMI | 750w Corsair AX750 | 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD | x2 - 20" WideScreen Monitors

dolor

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:59:05 am »
It might help you to use Bojote's tool for fsx.cfg tweaking.

Try also to reduce max texture load to 2048 or even 1024.  I don't think that the quality will be that bad.

I have a much worse rig than yours and I can run NGX, GSX, AS2012, Aivlasoft EFB, Internet Explorer and other things without OOMs!  I have sometimes a bit low fps, but not any OOMs!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:03:56 am by dolor »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 07:04:22 pm »
First, you can be 100% sure the problem is NOT GSX, since all its memory allocation happens outside FSX, since the whole program is running under the Couatl interpreter which, being a separate .EXE file, is NOT taking from the FSX memory pool (up to 4GB), but has ITS OWN 4GB, entirely available for itself, which on a 16GB system like yours, are comfortably available.

So, your problem is surely caused by another addon, that put FSX on the borderline of memory exhaustion so, a small bit more memory requested by creating a GSX object (that's the only memory that GSX allocates in FSX, the whole program code is running in another  dedicated memory space), ended up in OOM. But you were already dangerously close to memory exhaustion.

I think I've read some posts on non-sim related forums about some video memory settings for users with 3 screens, in order to better control VRAM allocation, but I really don't remember the name of the tweak used, it was something in the nVidia settings and/or using a tweaker.

Need-To-Know

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 08:40:39 pm »
Thanks guys!

So I changed my Bufferpools to 50000000 and did one flight test. Everything went fine and no errors.  ;D
I will fly some more this weekend and test in Orbx world.

Thanks V, your explanation makes perfect sense.

Superb work!

FS++

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:12:19 pm »

Let's not forget that FSX is a 32 Bit process. It will only address 4 GB Virtual memory address space (not to be confused with installed RAM).

Unfortunately half of that is reserved for system dlls (kernel32.dll, GDI32.dll, user32.dll etc…) and drivers.

That means only 2 GB is available for FSX, the loaded aircraft add-on, scenery, weather, AI traffic and other add-ons.

We build voice control add-on for FSX & FS9

In early days we were tempted to load our software (which happens to need a memory hungry speech engine) inside FS9 (or FSX) process via fsInsider.dll, the dll that gets loaded when the sim starts.

Doing that would mean at least 300 to 400 MB less virtual address space available to other add-ons.

In the end we decided against it.

Only a few megabytes (less than 10) are needed by the dll running in the sim to read from and write to the sim.

The bulk of the software runs in a separate process (with its own 4GB available virtual address space).

Should the speech engine leak memory, or our software misbehave the separate process would eventually die, but should never compromise the integrity of the flight.

Even if every add-on was perfect, it's the combination of heavy add-ons that makes the cocktail molotov.

Andrew737

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 11:50:17 am »
Hi Umberto

This is a common issue and I am sure many people will experience this at one time or another now that hardware has progressed and left the software behind in its 32bit state.

Can this topic be pinned and allowed to continue over time (since GSX is still developing, passengers etc) as there are some very clever simmers out there with tricks and tips to share?

I have a special interest in this topic as I get the occasional OOM too. Mine is me being greedy however! Uk2000 EGLC on a very bad REX day flying the NGX out of there through Aerosoft London with maxed out UT2!!!! Most of my sliders maxed too  ;D

Regards

Andrew
Regards Andrew

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 02:40:34 pm »
Let's not forget that FSX is a 32 Bit process. It will only address 4 GB Virtual memory address space (not to be confused with installed RAM).

Unfortunately half of that is reserved for system dlls (kernel32.dll, GDI32.dll, user32.dll etc…) and drivers.

That means only 2 GB is available for FSX, the loaded aircraft add-on, scenery, weather, AI traffic and other add-ons.

This is only true when running FSX on a 32 bit OS, because the *total* address space it's 4GB, which includes all the OS system libraries, the video card VRAM mapped into the same address space, and the user programs too.

On a 64 bit OS, each 32 bit app has its own 4GB address space, provided it has been compiled with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag, which is the case of FSX.

This means, FSX on a 32 bit OS, since it IS compiled with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag, CAN access more than 2GB, but not more than 3GB. But the issue is that, if the video card has lots of VRAM, this will be taken *away* from the 4GB available, so it's possible there aren't even a full 3GB available when using a 32 bit OS with a video card with fairly large amount of memory (more than 512MB).

Instead, on a 64 bit OS, FSX can access up to 4GB, and each separate 32 bit .EXE process can also access to its own 4GB address space.

And, true 64 bit apps, can access up to 8TB...

Need-To-Know

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 03:47:11 pm »
Just wanted to report:

After setting bufferpools to 50000000 - (which might or might not have been the solution)
and testing in many airports both payware and default, I have not experienced any more out of memory errors. :)

BTW - I really found it cool when I landed my new C90B at an airport and could still get GSX services scaled down for my smaller plane.
Genius!! - a van towing a baggage carrier. I actually did laugh out loud!

By far the most universal addon I have ever had.

Andrew737

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 07:29:14 pm »
Just wanted to report:

After setting bufferpools to 50000000 - (which might or might not have been the solution)
and testing in many airports both payware and default, I have not experienced any more out of memory errors

Nice of you letting us know - thanks, I will test this out at EGLC  :)

Regards

Andrew
Regards Andrew

psykie

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 11:18:31 pm »
This just happened to me and I googled it and up popped this article.  I will try adjusting my "bufferPools".  Does this work?  Any other recommendations?  I have my FSX on an SSD qith a 143 GB free.  But, I do have it pretty maxed out with lots of ORBS and add-on airport stuff. 

Matthew
Matthew
i7-4770K3.5Ghz OC 4.5Ghz on a Z87-Pro ASUS MOBO, with a 240GB SSD for FSX only, 16gb/2400 Vengence DDR-3, Nividia GeForce GTX 780, on Win 7, 64 bit operating system.

boilerbill

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 01:00:47 am »
Matthew:

You might want to look into the relatively new program called FSX Fiber Acceleration. It's an odd name, I know, but it does work for many people; there are even some video reviews on YouTube. More information is available at http://www.thefsps.com/fsx/54-fsps-fsx-fiber-accelerator.html. You even get 5 free 60 minute demo trials to see if it works for you. At €28/$25, it's not exactly cheap. But if it resolves your problem, then it's probably worthwhile.

Edit: There was a slight error in the price that I gave. It should read €28/$35 (using a conversion rate of roughly €1.00 = $1.25). Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:48:47 am by boilerbill »
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

psykie

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 01:26:50 am »
Thank Boilerbill.  I will look into it.  I don't want to spend $$ over this issue but I will if I have too.  Thanks

Matthew
Matthew
i7-4770K3.5Ghz OC 4.5Ghz on a Z87-Pro ASUS MOBO, with a 240GB SSD for FSX only, 16gb/2400 Vengence DDR-3, Nividia GeForce GTX 780, on Win 7, 64 bit operating system.

Vigliar

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 01:56:02 am »
I bought the GSX one year ago and never, never I had any problems. Always it worked perfect. However I saw that it was a new version, with DE-ICE, and I decided download this new version as explained in this forum. After installing  this error "your computer has run out of available memory" appeared.

I uninstalled tis version and reinstalled the previous setup, and the problem disappeared.

My operational system is W7 64bits.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 10:20:54 am »
. However I saw that it was a new version, with DE-ICE, and I decided download this new version as explained in this forum. After installing  this error "your computer has run out of available memory" appeared

Sorry, but this is plain not possible to be related in any way to the new version. GSX code runs ENTIRELY outside FSX, under the Couatl.exe program, and that doesn't take a single BIT away from FSX memory, because being an .EXE, it uses its own private 2GB memory address space.

What IS theoretically possible, instead, is that if you had your memory VERY CLOSE to be exhausted, it was enough to just instruct to create objects from the new version, which in some cases are a bit more complex, and there are deicers in addition to that, and that small memory increase was enough to tip the balance and get you an OOM.

Because, even if the whole GSX code and the Couatl.exe programs are running outside FSX, and cannot impact FSX memory usage, not even in theory, when FSX ASK to create an object IN FSX, that one will obviously use some FSX memory. But this means you should have the memory message ONLY after you start GSX and objects gets created, and you should have been EXTREMELY close to the memory exhaustion threshold, because the GSX objects that have upgraded are only SLIGHTLY more complex than the previous version, so that's a very unlikely case.

If, instead, you are getting an error message as soon as you start FSX, without even calling GSX, then I'm sorry, this cannot possibly caused by GSX.