Author Topic: Updated AFCAD for FSX  (Read 15360 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Updated AFCAD for FSX
« on: May 24, 2008, 02:47:24 pm »
Hello,

This is a set of modified AFCAD to use for O'Hare X 1.1. There are now two files, AP_KORD.BGL is the regular AFCAD, and contains everything except Approaches and Waypoints. APPR_KORD.BGL only contains Approaches and Waypoints, in order to have instrumental procedures for the updated runway numbers comparing to default scenery.

Having two separate files allows for easier tweaking of the main AFCAD file, without having to worry about losing the approaches when saving it back, that happens when using an release older than 1.37, for example.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:33:50 pm by virtuali »

axiom13

Re: Updated AFCAD for FSX
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:35:32 pm »
the fix worked, thanks.

axiom

axiom13

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 03:17:39 am »
the approaches are not centerlined, i did several full auto-land approaches, each with a diffrent plane, and each touchdown was on the right side of the runway, just by the line. wind was at 0/000. i'll try to fix this later, but im afriad that once i save the new AFCAD that ill get rid of the 28 ILS.

axiom

JamesChams

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 03:37:28 am »
Virtuali Staff,

Does everyone need these AFCAD's for FSX or was this specifically for axiom's issues?
(ie.  Is this an update/fix to the current v1.0? )

Thank you.
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 01:02:17 pm »
The AFCAD are for everyone, and, the current version of O'Hare is not 1.0, it's 1.1 This is an improvement over 1.1, it will be included in the next version, it doesn't make much sense having to download 120MB just to get a new AFCAD.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 01:14:34 pm »
the approaches are not centerlined, i did several full auto-land approaches, each with a diffrent plane, and each touchdown was on the right side of the runway, just by the line. wind was at 0/000.

This is strange, because it's exactly the opposite of what should happen.

The *previous* version had a bug in all approaches, because they were off by 3 degrees (the amount of magnetic variation between the FS default database date and today). For example, runway 28 magnetic heading approach was listed 270 degrees in the old one (when the runway was still named 27R), but should be 273 in real world. We fixed this now, so it should work better now, and you should have noticed a problem in heading with the previous version.

OR, there's a bug in either MS BGLCOMP compiler or in the SDK docs, and the parameter MagneticHeading in the approach leg command takes true heading instead, regardless of how it's named...

However, still looks strange because, the FS autopilot only cares about the ILS Transmitter, it doesn't lock to the ILS instrumental procedure Leg heading (that is the only thing changed) so, I find strange that you have problems with the auto-land, considering that the ILS *transmitter*, that resides in the main AFCAD (AP_KORD.BGL) together with the runway, hasn't been touched from the previous 1.1 release.

I'll check it better, anyway.

i'll try to fix this later, but im afriad that once i save the new AFCAD that ill get rid of the 28 ILS.

That's exactly the point of having two files. You CAN edit the normal AFCAD, because Approaches and Waypoints are in the other.

JamesChams

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 07:18:41 pm »
The AFCAD are for everyone, and, the current version of O'Hare is not 1.0, it's 1.1 This is an improvement over 1.1, it will be included in the next version, it doesn't make much sense having to download 120MB just to get a new AFCAD.

Staff,
Just clarifing: I believe that I have the v1.1 installed and these AFCAD's are going to be part of the v1.2/etc.; correct?  So, I can use these AFCAD's to replace the v1.1 or wait until the next Patch/SP release; Correct?

Thank you.
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 07:36:49 pm »
Well, I'm not sure if these two AFCAD will make it in a future update for O'Hare, we might improve it again in the meantime. However, they are an update to what we included in 1.1 so, for the time being, should be considered as the most current "official" release.

JamesChams

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 07:40:31 pm »
Well, I'm not sure if these two AFCAD will make it in a future update for O'Hare, we might improve it again in the meantime. However, they are an update to what we included in 1.1 so, for the time being, should be considered as the most current "official" release.
Thanks for the clarification.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

Putt4eagle

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 10:36:53 pm »
Pardon my ignorance. What do I do with these files I down loaded?Where do they go?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 10:46:17 pm »
Unzip and put the bgl in the fsdreamteam\ohare\scenery folder, overwriting the file with the same name that is already there.

djhorton

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 03:26:08 pm »
Thanks for update. Great idea to separate approaches from main AFCAD file.

Though the approach file updates runway numbers, it could be easily updated to remove approaches that are no longer effective, such as NDBs, and it duplicates GPS and RNAV approaches, which should be consolidated to "RNAV(GPS)" approaches (if naming as such will compile). Here is the list of currently effective approaches at KORD:

ILS OR LOC RWY 04R
ILS OR LOC RWY 09R
ILS OR LOC RWY 10
ILS OR LOC RWY 14L
ILS OR LOC RWY 14R
ILS OR LOC RWY 22L
ILS OR LOC RWY 22R
ILS OR LOC RWY 27L
ILS OR LOC RWY 28
ILS OR LOC RWY 32L
ILS OR LOC RWY 32R
ILS RWY 14L(CAT II)
ILS RWY 14R(CAT II)
ILS RWY 27L (CAT II)
ILS RWY 28(CAT II)
ILS RWY 14L(CAT III)
ILS RWY 14R(CAT III)
ILS RWY 27L (CAT III)
ILS RWY 28(CAT III)
RNAV (GPS) RWY 04L
RNAV (GPS) RWY 04R
RNAV (GPS) RWY 09R
RNAV (GPS) RWY 10
RNAV (GPS) RWY 14L
RNAV (GPS) RWY 14R
RNAV (GPS) RWY 22R
RNAV (GPS) RWY 27L
RNAV (GPS) RWY 28
RNAV (GPS) RWY 32L
RNAV (GPS) RWY 32R
RNAV (GPS) Y RWY 22L
RNAV (GPS) Z RWY 22L
LOC RWY 04L

Notes/suggestions: Ignore "OR LOC" in ILS approaches, ignore Cat II vs. Cat III  - keep what's already in file.

Option: include both RNAV (GPS) Y and Z versions of approaches for 22L, if titles can be separate and compile. Approaches are nearly the same, but there are slight differences near ends of approaches, such as one extra altitude step for Y, different distance from runway for visual descent point, and different decision altitudes. The Z has vertical guidance (LNAV/VNAV), and the Y does not. Hopefully, next version of FS will link vertical guidance (LPV or LNAV/VNAV) in GPS approaches to approach mode of autopilot.

For a future AFCAD file update, note that new runway 9L/27R on far north side of airport is expected to open this fall.

Thanks for keeping KORD up to date!

Michael McE

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 01:06:34 am »
Hello,

This is a set of modified AFCAD to use for O'Hare X 1.1. There are now two files, AP_KORD.BGL is the regular AFCAD, and contains everything except Approaches and Waypoints. APPR_KORD.BGL only contains Approaches and Waypoints, in order to have instrumental procedures for the updated runway numbers comparing to default scenery.

Having two separate files allows for easier tweaking of the main AFCAD file, without having to worry about losing the approaches when saving it back, that happens when using ADE, for example.

I just switched over to FSX from FS9 and purchased KORD for FSX.  I downloaded the airport and approach bgls attached to this message, but I am not seeing multiple runways in use.  Is there something I should have done to enable that function?

Also - in FS9 there were various bgls to support typical Ohare runway-use configurations, and, the 32L T10 position-and-hold capability.  Is that to be implemented for FSX as right now all a/c taxi to the 32L runway end for position-and-hold.

Thanks.

-michael

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 09:27:00 am »
I just switched over to FSX from FS9 and purchased KORD for FSX.  I downloaded the airport and approach bgls attached to this message, but I am not seeing multiple runways in use.  Is there something I should have done to enable that function?

Multiple runways should be in use with the default AFCAD that comes with the FSX version without doing anything special, assuming you have the latest version of the scenery, which as of today is labeled 1.0.1 in the installer.

Note, when referring to multiple runways in use, it only means for landing. Try to observe the traffic for a while, like 15-20 minutes, and see if they use different runways on landing.

Also - in FS9 there were various bgls to support typical Ohare runway-use configurations, and, the 32L T10 position-and-hold capability.  Is that to be implemented for FSX as right now all a/c taxi to the 32L runway end for position-and-hold.

Those FS9 BGLs were made by Harpsi, which is a forum user and not a member of fsdreamteam that did that work in his spare time, not something that "came" with the product. The AFCAD that we supply with FS9 it's just one, as in FSX.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:41:15 pm by virtuali »

Michael McE

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 04:31:41 pm »

Note, when referring to multiple runways in use, it only means for landing. Try to observe the traffic for a while, like 15-20 minutes, and see if they use different runways on landing.

Ok - that explains it. Yes, I saw multiple arrivals, but the with NW winds all departures were using 32L.

Those FS9 BGLs were made by Harpsi, which is a forum user and not a member of fsdreamteam that did that work in his spare time, not something that "came" with the product. The AFCAD that we supply with FS9 it's just one, as in FSX.

Now I understand - thank you.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:41:26 pm by virtuali »