Author Topic: GENEVE Activation problem.  (Read 5553 times)

Homer1977

GENEVE Activation problem.
« on: May 05, 2012, 02:28:32 pm »
Hi Everybody.
In the last days I have purchased via FSDreamTeam's website, Geneva's Scenery for FSX.
I have received my serial-key and my proof of purchase.
This morning, returning home, I had some trouble installing and activating the scenery.

I use win7 64bit, I am using and Administrator account, the UACC is disabled and a tons of other Payware Addons (Aerosoft, Flight1, iFly, FlyLogic, JustFlight, CLS, ecc) are currently installed without any issue.
My PC is FSX dedicated, no AV, no Firewalls, no other applications, only Win7 and FSX with Addons.

Go on:
First, the installer. Downloaded from the website, it has some trouble with the security certificate from Virtuali Software.
It seems to be revocated.....
Not a good start....
OK, no problem, executed with the dx option run as administrator, it will go up. It downloads some files, installed, everything seems fine.

I Open FSX, the new scenery is on the library. Great! According to the instructions I started a new flight, I choose Geneve.
No buildings displayed, only airplanes. But, I think, it's because the scenery it's not activated.
I seach in the in the menus, there is not the Addon Manager.
I readed some posts on your forum, I readed the FAQ section. It seems that everything I done is correct.
I decide to uninstall the scenery, download and install the SP1 version of the C++ runtime library x64 version, and reinstall the scenery. None changed, I'm always without Addon Manager.
I read that Addon Manager is a Simconnect App. I test the simconnect library, it's installed and fully functional!
I get the standalone update for the addon manager, installed (always as administrator) but none result.

I'm a little bit disappointed with this kind of activation system. Too much trouble and steps.
I'm an IT Professional, flying FSX is an hobby. I imagine this situation for a simple simmer, without advanced knowledge in IT?
FSDreamTeam must have a piracy protection system, like other publishers.
But other publishers have others efficient protecion system, more easy than this to install and activate!
Now, how can I have my scenery installed and working?

Sorry if this post is too long...
Thanks in advance.

Best,
Matteo
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:41:20 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GENEVE Activation problem.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:46:28 pm »
First, the installer. Downloaded from the website, it has some trouble with the security certificate from Virtuali Software.

You don't explain this very clearly. What "security certificate" ? The website doesn't have any, since we don't need SSL, since all our downloads are freely available and, when you purchase, you DO NOT purchase on "virtuali" website, but on Esellerate, which obviously works on SSL, it's surely not expired, and it's not certainly called "virtuali", so you are probably not referring to the security certificate of the website.

It seems to be revocated.....Not a good start....

Even if your description of the problem is not clear, maybe you are referring to the "virtuali" security certificate of YOUR OWN computer.

Yes, of course security certificates expires every 2-3 years or so, which means the "virtuali" security certificate you had on YOUR computer, was probably there because you installed an old product that was using the certificate which WAS current BACK THEN.

Of course, installers you download now from here, have a NEWER security certificate, which is NOT expired, since it lasts until November 2012. So no, your "not a good start" comment, because our security certificate "expired", wasn't really needed...

I seach in the in the menus, there is not the Addon Manager.

You should have seen a *question* asking your to authorize the Addon Manager module AND the Couatl script engine. I assume you haven't seen this question and, since you said you don't have any antivirus, the most likely cause is probably having to do with the security certificate.

You probably mistakenly put "virtuali" in the non-trusted authors: this will prevent ANYTHING signed by us to run.

To verify this, you can go to the Control Panel, under "Internet Options", look for the "Content" tab, there should be an "Authors" button, that will list the software authors that you trusted, and another tab with untrusted authors. If you see "Virtuali s.a.s", remove it from both tabs (especially if it's under untrusted)

I'm a little bit disappointed with this kind of activation system. Too much trouble and steps.

If the problem was the untrusted publishers, this doesn't obviously have anything to do with the "activation system" (beside the mistake of wrongly assuming the Addon Manager is only needed as an anti-piracy measure, which obviously isn't, and this is clearly explained in the FAQ page of the website too), if YOU (only you can do this) decide not to trust a publisher, nothing signed by him will ever run, this is a standard Windows feature.

So, before launching yourself in comments about the "activation system", which will going to stay, and not going to change, let's first establish WHAT was the cause of your problem first.

Homer1977

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:59:03 am »
Thank you for your support.

I'm sorry if you have interpreted my post with an excessive crtitical spirit, but this was not my purpose.
Probably, always due to the ristricted time, I have not used all the attention needed installing this addon, you're right.
With a little bit frustration I wrote the prev post, I'm really sorry.

I solved this problem with your help, removing Virtuali from the non trusted authors.
The strange thing is that I have never installed before any addons coming from Virtuali, or maybe some addons have this certificate inside, and I can't remember what is this.
Just a little annoing thing is remaining.
For some months I have installed my Ultimate 757 Collection from Quality Wings (regularly buyed 1 year or so ago).
Now isn't installed, and it is uninstalled from my sim from long time.
Now, when I start FSX, I receive a message from Addon Manager, that QW 757 UC is installed but not activated for my PC, and if I want to activate it.
Obiviously I answer NOT, but everytime I start FSX this message goes up.
I searched in many folders (SimObjects, Addon, ecc), into the Control Panel->Uninstall App, but I have not find any remaining tracks for this addon.
Also in the Addon Manager, I see this product installed but not Activated, and also here I can't find a way to uninstall it.
In FSX I have not listed any of this airplanes.
Have you any ideas?

Best,
Matteo

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:39:51 am »
The strange thing is that I have never installed before any addons coming from Virtuali, or maybe some addons have this certificate inside, and I can't remember what is this.

The Qualitywings uses the Addon Manager too. However, just *installing* will NOT put an software author into the untrusted publishers, which is what happened to you.

Only YOU can put a software author in the untrusted list: you did this, and you probably forgot about it.

Just a little annoing thing is remaining. For some months I have installed my Ultimate 757 Collection from Quality Wings (regularly buyed 1 year or so ago).  Now isn't installed, and it is uninstalled from my sim from long time. Now, when I start FSX, I receive a message from Addon Manager, that QW 757 UC is installed but not activated for my PC, and if I want to activate it.
Obiviously I answer NOT, but everytime I start FSX this message goes up.

The question is made because there's still the Serial Number in the Windows registry. The reason why the serial number is not removed when uninstalling is fairly obvious: so you can uninstall/reinstall as many times as you wish on the same hardware, without having to lose your serial number and thus your activation.

The correct way of removing when you don't want to use a product on the sim anymore on a certain system, is to use the "Deactivate" function of the Addon Manager, this will remove your serial number and the activation from the registry.

In any case, why you couldn't simply reply YES to the activation question ? That will stop the activation question and, should you install the QW757 again on this system, it won't require activation.

If you really don't want to use the 757 on this system anymore, and don't want to "waste" an activation, simply reply YES to the activation question, so it will activate on your system, then use the "Deactivate" function of the Addon Manager to remove it.